Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 18)
Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 30, 2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Out of curiosity, what exactly makes you say that?

1) The hardware looks pretty nice.
2) High def and widescreen support is STANDARD. Games look/sound amazing making it more immersive.
3) The hardware abilities are all I could ask for.
4) The interface is great
5) The controller is the best I've ever used.
6) The games are awesome. One of the launch titles became one of my fav games ever. (condemned).
7) It works with my iPod/Mac
8) the cost is reasonable
9) The Free online integration is so well done it is scary.
10) The retro games are fun.
11) Downloading games demo's is the best thing ever
12) Being able to add new content, fix bugs in games for free

The list goes on and on and on.

It would be easier to say what I didn't like
1) The CD drive is a bit loud but the newer ones are quieter. My Mac's CD drive is louder.
2) The Power Brick is large but it is out of site so I don't really care.
3) They should have 100% backwards compatible games from the Xbox.
4) an HDMI cable would be nice

That's about it. I have no desire for it or the PS3 to have motion control. The Wii can have that.

"Hello, what have we here?

Ham Sandwich
Aug 30, 2006, 03:41 PM

Personally, I can't wait for the Wii and specifically, the new Zelda game. I also appreciate the asthetics of the Wii, comparatively speaking.

Hell no on the PS3 - too much money. I'm mildly entertained by my 360 but will probably return it. Not my type of games, really. I just don't enjoy FPS, sports or hard-core RPG games nor do I have the time to devote to these types, either.

I consider myself a pretty hard-core game enthusiast owning over 20 home video systems but I would consider myself more "old-school" when it comes to gaming. Still to this day, I play Nintendo games and systems more than any other I own. The last game I really got into was Chibi-Robo for the GC, if that's any indication of my current prowess.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
I'm mildly entertained by my 360 but will probably return it. Not my type of games, really. I just don't enjoy FPS, sports or hard-core RPG games nor do I have the time to devote to these types, either.
Kamino.
Blazing angels
Condemned
PGR3

Are neither of what you mentioned above and are great 360 titles.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2006, 04:41 PM

I just don't enjoy FPS, sports or hard-core RPG games
So you like…Mario?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2006, 04:51 PM

So you like…Mario?
Perhaps he likes Arcade style games. Logic, puzzles, fighting, maybe even the occaisional flight simulator.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Ham Sandwich
Aug 30, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Kamino.
Blazing angels
Condemned
PGR3

Are neither of what you mentioned above and are great 360 titles.
I downloaded the demo of Kamino the other day - just haven't had the time.

Blazing Angels - blech, war games (should of mentioned that genre, too).

Condemned - Third-person horror genre also a blech. I hate Resident Evil type games (save for RE4 with invincibility cheats).

PGR3 - I consider racing "sports". I especially hate racing games where you have to race to build up your garage and junk. Burnout is fun, though - just for the destruction.

I could seriously go for a side-scroller, run and jump type game on the 360 (i.e. Mario-like). Something I can pick up and play for half an hour and be done with it for awhile and NOT have to remember some droll story line. This is where the games that I see coming for the Wii being right up my alley.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 30, 2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Perhaps he likes Arcade style games. Logic, puzzles, fighting, maybe even the occaisional flight simulator.
Arcade style games = definitely.

As I said in another thread, the best game to me on the 360 is Geometry Wars. And that's just plain sad.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 05:09 PM

Condemned - Third-person horror genre also a blech. I hate Resident Evil type games (save for RE4 with invincibility cheats).
So do I but this one is different.

The Wii isn't going to be side scrollers I hope you understand that.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 30, 2006, 05:14 PM

So do I but this one is different.

The Wii isn't going to be side scrollers I hope you understand that.
I'll download the demo with an open mind and try it out. Really. The console collector in me doesn't want to ditch the 360!

I know the Wii will have "hard-core" games but they'll also have more "arcade style" games, ones that I can pick up and play for a little bit and then put down - not much skill involved. I think that's the market the Wii is going after. God, I feel old!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2006, 05:29 PM

I know the Wii will have "hard-core" games but they'll also have more "arcade style" games, ones that I can pick up and play for a little bit and then put down - not much skill involved. I think that's the market the Wii is going after. God, I feel old!
I think people forget how much skill was involved in some of those old games. There were some I was never able to beat — like Werewolf on the old NES. That game was freakin' insane. With almost everything having the ability to save nowadays, I'd say games generally require less dedication and skill than they used to. Back in the old days, you had three lives and one play session to beat 10 levels.

Or maybe you're thinking like Pac-Man and Q-bert rather than old console games.
Chuck
___

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2006, 07:23 PM

I'll download the demo with an open mind and try it out. Really. The console collector in me doesn't want to ditch the 360!

I think you're failing to differentiate between skill and "knowledge of the game". I would say many of the old simple games required more "skill" than SOME of the newer games like tactical FPS games, RTS, etc. Back then, it was all about timing and hand eye coordination. With many games now, it's more about how many of the "moves" you know and the strategy. I'm not saying either type of game is "better" but I wouldn't say the "hard-core" games require more skill.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 30, 2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus
I think you're failing to differentiate between skill and "knowledge of the game". I would say many of the old simple games required more "skill" than SOME of the newer games like tactical FPS games, RTS, etc. Back then, it was all about timing and hand eye coordination. With many games now, it's more about how many of the "moves" you know and the strategy. I'm not saying either type of game is "better" but I wouldn't say the "hard-core" games require more skill.
Well, I was equating "skill" to my proficiency at a particular kind of game.

One reason I don't find the bulk of this generation's games entertaining - I completely suck at them, therefore, I would equate that to having less skill for them. Now, put me in front of a pinball game, Ms. Pac-Man, Ninja Gaiden, Omega Race or something else arcade-y and I'll probably clean up.

Really, the type of game I enjoy the most nowadays is something with next to nothing of a story, simple button controls, fair graphics...I think I just described Mario!

In other words, Calimus - I'd rather drop $10.00 at Ground Kontrol than $10.00 at Wonderland Theater

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2006, 09:25 PM

I think people forget how much skill was involved in some of those old games.
I think the older games were just more unfair and frustrating because you had set save points or none at all.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
set save points
Turok 2
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
or none at all.
Jurassic Park (SNES)

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2006, 08:12 AM

Turok 2 was such a FUN game with crappy save points.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Michel Ancel

"It’s so different from the other consoles that we decided to reconsider everything…We believe in the Wii and building gameplay around the controller. So now we are designing Raving Rabbids specifically (It’s an EXCLUSIVE!) for the Wii. It’s not just an adaptation. It’s a very special project, because this is really a revolution for us. Now we have to focus on one version - the Wii version."

Xavier Poix

"The more we heard about the Wii, the more interested we became. Then when we got our development kits, we knew that everything we dreamed of doing on this was possible. That’s why we changed our minds. We decided, ‘Ok let’s just focus on Wii’. That’s it. The other versions can come later."

- http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=4086

To sum it up, the next Rayman game will be a Wii exclusive.

Cheers
Well that didn't last long.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
Turok 2

Ya that drove me NUTS! I mean it was an HOUR between some save points.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar

Yeah i noticed that.

Oh well...Apparently RRR is shaping upto be some kind of a part game...not a huge fan of that genre...i was hoping for a fun story line and gameplay in a single player game.

Im trying to decide which games to pick up when i get the Wii. Curious as to know what you guys plan on getting with the Wii/PS3 ?....

1. Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Red Steel
3. Excite truck.

And if Lair(Factor 5) was coming id get it..but apparently its a PS3 exclusive....cant justify a $660 price tag to play just one game though.

I think MP3 has been delayed....dont quote me...but i need a break from Metroid since ive been playing MP2 and Hunters. As far as Mario Galaxy.... ill hold off on that. Also, i read somewhere that Red Steel will have no load times at all..... i'm stoked. And according to some interviews at the Leipzig GC.... they put the E3 demo together in JUST ONE MONTH...crazy.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 08:52 AM

Um, the article says Rayman comes out for other consoles in May, and is exclusive to the Wii until then. Which is the same thing as Xavier Poix in that quote saying

The other versions can come later.
He didn't say that there would never ever be Rayman on a PS3 or 360, he said that it would be developed for the Wii first, then the others.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Ouhei
Aug 31, 2006, 09:06 AM

Personally I'm going to hopefully get a 360 this christmas, I've wanted one for a few months as there are a few games out for it now that make it worth it (pgr3, dead rising, graw, forza 2 is coming, and halo sometime next year).

I'll be getting a Wii at some point, but I'm not sure when. I love the idea and concept behind the Wii, but I want to see how it pans out before jumping in, I want to atleast play on one before I get it, and I want smash brothers to be out before I get one too.

I won't be getting a ps3 for a long time, which sucks, but I cannot justify $600 on a game console and the rumored $70 for games doesn't help. Sony has also shot itself in the foot so many times with the ps3 (pricing, last minute controller ad ons, and their general attitude about the system). Their attitude is as if the ps3 is god, I mean i know the thing is powerful but their arrogance about the pricing annoys me. I'll miss not playing the next gran turismo and FF games but it just isn't worth it.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Curious as to know what you guys plan on getting with the Wii/PS3 ?....
I figure I'll pick up a Wii for Zelda & Mario.

Other than that, I'm deathly afraid of getting a PS3. I'll be keeping a close eye on the war between them and Microsoft. I figure I'll pick up a real console when GTA is announced or if I find out the new NBA live is pretty polished.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 10:56 AM

I am going to see how early reviews of the Wii are and if the controls work exactly like one would expect I am going to get it. Not so much because the games appeal to me but because I really want to get rid of my cube which is an embarrassment.

To me the only good games for the Cube was: Pikmin 1,2, Zelda, Metroid 1 and not 2.
Man I'd have to say I got waaaay less use out of it than my N64 and I was in denial over how little support the N64 got at the time.

I'm gonna buy a PS3 but only for the blu-ray as my DVD's upscaled even look ghetto next to high-def.

Actually I am going to get 2 Wii's, and 2 PS3's.... the extra ones are going on ebay for christmas

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 10:57 AM

I figure I'll pick up a real console when GTA is announced or if I find out the new NBA live is pretty polished.

You gotta try Saints Row for 360. It is 10x better that GTA.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 11:06 AM

You gotta try Saints Row for 360. It is 10x better that GTA.
What sets it apart? (Ignoring technical enhancements)

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 11:16 AM

What sets it apart? (Ignoring technical enhancements)

Well it is a total clone of GTA but they pretty much fixed everything that was annoying about GTA in terms of gameplay and visuals.

If you liked GTA it would be a slice of heaven.

Only played the demo expecting it would suck but I was really impressed.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 11:18 AM

Well it is a total clone of GTA but they pretty much fixed everything that was annoying about GTA in terms of gameplay and visuals.

If you liked GTA it would be a slice of heaven.

Only played the demo expecting it would suck but I was really impressed.
I'm actually more concerned about the style than the gameplay, but that's good.

Either way, it ain't enough for me to buy a 360 before the PS3 is out.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 11:22 AM

I'm actually more concerned about the style than the gameplay, but that's good.
What do you mean by style?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 11:23 AM

The humor, character development, plot, etc. It may be derivative, but they definitely add their own flavor to it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2006, 11:28 AM

I'll be getting a Wii at launch, and an XBox 360 when I upgrade my tv mid next year, just in time for Halo 3 hopefully.

I might pick up a few PS3's just for the ebay thing.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 11:30 AM

The humor, character development, plot, etc. It may be derivative, but they definitely add their own flavor to it.
I can't answer that from the demo I can tell you that they let you customize the character to insane detail though like, eyes, hair, eyebrows, fat, muscle which is cool.

I made myself a fat Asian dude with mean eyebrows and a mohawk

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 11:33 AM

I can't answer that from the demo I can tell you that they let you customize the character to insane detail though like, eyes, hair, eyebrows, fat, muscle which is cool.

I made myself a fat Asian dude with mean eyebrows and a mohawk
Yeah, I'll spend hours on that stuff.

Honestly, judging the game from its commercial, it seems like it might be too 'ghetto' for my taste.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 12:17 PM

The game is worth it just to blow stuff up with the rocket launcher.

Rear-ending a Pacer with a semi also provides hours of entertainment.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by dillerX
The game is worth it just to blow stuff up with the rocket launcher.

Rear-ending a Pacer with a semi also provides hours of entertainment.
Actually i was doing head on collisions at super high speeds and would jump out last second before the hit. The people in the oncoming car actually fly out their windshield

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 12:39 PM

The people in the oncoming car actually fly out their windshield
That is awesome.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 10:55 AM

That is awesome.

It is, until you are trying to get somewhere, and you crash into someone and fly out too.

On the insurance fraud activities, you get an ejection bonus for doing that.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by dillerX
It is, until you are trying to get somewhere, and you crash into someone and fly out too.
Suddenly, I consider doors have become too much work for getting out of a car.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 11:14 AM

I just got ultimate Ghost and Goblins for the PSP. Talk about your kick ass side scroller! It is HARD AS HELL and looks TIIIIGHT!

I remember the Nintendo one and arcade was so damn hard I couldn't get past the first level and therefor hated it.

My boyfriend doesn't like modern games but he has been bugging me to get the NES version of G&G so he can play it while I play 360. I got him this PSP one instead, hopefully this will please him.

Anyway, it is about time a good game for PSP came out and this one is better than anything I have for the DS (other than mario cart). Loco Roco is fun as hell judging from the demo and it comes out on the 5th for PSP also!

Ham Sandwich
Sep 1, 2006, 01:01 PM

Yeah, and suddenly I'm a bit miffed I sold my PSP last year. Could it be that the PSP library is actually getting a decent selection of titles now?

Hopefully, the rumored PSP v2 that's coming out next year won't gnarl my hands like an arthritic 90 year old after 10 minutes of use. If so, I might have to snag one.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 01:03 PM

Yeah, and suddenly I'm a bit miffed I sold my PSP last year. Could it be that the PSP library is actually getting a decent selection of titles now?
Seems like it, not to mention all PS1 games will be offered for it.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 02:12 PM

Check out this info on Saints row. The AI is really smart.

I <3 Addictive, but Glitchy Saints Row - Kotaku

In other words powerful CPU's are for more than just "prettier graphics" they make the game more realistic and immersive.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 02:47 PM

Valkyrie Profile for the PSP is badass.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 03:05 PM

Yeah, they it seems like they finally stopped focusing on ridiculously low-quality movies and decided to have games for their game system.
Chuck
___

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 1, 2006, 03:28 PM

I just got ultimate Ghost and Goblins for the PSP.
Is it as good as the 80s version

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
Is it as good as the 80s version
I can't say. Like I mentioned I never got past the first level in the first game and never owned it. This new one is kick ass though in gameplay and graphics.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 1, 2006, 06:08 PM

I can't say. Like I mentioned I never got past the first level in the first game and never owned it. This new one is kick ass though in gameplay and graphics.
Aw man the original was awesome. It took lots of work and we all spent loads of quarters on it but it was worth it. I loved Wonderboy too. Wow if that comes out again it will just be fantastic.

Wonderboy was like Super Mario but better. It had a skateboard power up too.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
Aw man the original was awesome. It took lots of work and we all spent loads of quarters on it but it was worth it. I loved Wonderboy too. Wow if that comes out again it will just be fantastic.

Wonderboy was like Super Mario but better. It had a skateboard power up too.

I loved wonderboy also.

Anywho, here is the next chart topper for the DS and with the sales in Japan surly to be astoundingly high the fanboys will announce the DS superiority.

"Love Hamster" Must be Duct-Taped Beforehand - Kotaku

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2006, 11:17 AM

For you Wii fans in here, check out this weeks IGN Weekly Episode....really cool demos on using the wii controller in games.

Cheers

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2006, 01:09 PM

I loved wonderboy also.

Anywho, here is the next chart topper for the DS and with the sales in Japan surly to be astoundingly high the fanboys will announce the DS superiority.

"Love Hamster" Must be Duct-Taped Beforehand - Kotaku
We just think it's funny a game about a hamster could outsell all the PSP games.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2006, 01:10 PM

I think I might gets Dead Rising today. I played the demo again with the goal of killing as many zombies as I could and it was actually a ton of fun and unique.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 03:43 PM

New Fight Night PS3 screens!

E3 2005:

September 2006:

Interview:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/730/730101p1.html]404

Forum Links
Forum Rules