Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ebay pulled my iMac auction I dont understand why

Ebay pulled my iMac auction I dont understand why
Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 08:34 AM

Has anyone else had a Auction pulled by eBay due to "Keyword Spamming"?
(and no 'don't use eBay' posts please, there isn't a even remotely popular alternative in the UK)
The message from eBay says this bit was the part that breached the policy.
"Apple 20" iMac Intel core duo 2GHz 1.5GB, 250GB, as new" (which was the auction title)
I have looked at there examples here of what is not allowed, and I am still non the wiser. There are other iMacs with similar titles? I want to know why this was 'illegal' so I can re-list and get it sold (I need to sell it so I can afford the new iMac I just got).
Luckily I used GarageSale to post the auction so reposting doesn't involve stating from scratch.
The only questionable bit would be the 'As New' bit, but as it's unblemished, with all the original packaging etc. it's a fair description of it's condition.

Mediaman_12  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 08:43 AM

So I did a search of eBays forums, and apparently "as new" is classed as key word spamming.

so Why isn't it in the EXAMPLES then if something is in the same condition as when it was purchased it's 'As new', I can see why it's classed as such (do a search for 'new' and all the 'as new' would show up), but NO WHERE is this mentioned.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 01:02 PM

this thread is boring...

sucks bout your auction, now you know what not to put
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 01:25 PM

What's "as new?" It is either new or its used.

To be honest I've never heard of keyword spamming and I've sold stuff on ebay before - mostly computers.

I'd copy someone else's title and use that, and I'd probably drop the as new if it was brand new (its deceptive).

If they pulled your auction once, I wouldn't just blindly post it again - have you tried contacting them for a more specific reason? They'll probably be able to answer your question better then a bunch of nerds on a mac forum

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 17, 2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
What's "as new?" It is either new or its used.

To be honest I've never heard of keyword spamming and I've sold stuff on ebay before - mostly computers.

I'd copy someone else's title and use that, and I'd probably drop the as new if it was brand new (its deceptive).

If they pulled your auction once, I wouldn't just blindly post it again - have you tried contacting them for a more specific reason? They'll probably be able to answer your question better then a bunch of nerds on a mac forum
I'm not a nerd!!1!1eleven!
Nerds play WoW, I just have nerdy qualities!!1

Railroader
Banned
Aug 17, 2007, 03:32 PM

"As new" means "is new". "Like new" means "used, but doesn't look or act like it".

If it is new, then say "new". Otherwise, if it is used, but resembles new, then say something like "in excellent, like new, condition."

Originally Posted by MacosNerd
bunch of nerds on a mac forum
[NERDLIKEACTIVITIES]You know, your username should really be "MacOSNerd". [/NERDLIKEACTIVITIES]

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
"As new" means "is new". "Like new" means "used, but doesn't look or act like it".
Ok, I just misunderstood and so I thought it was trying to be passed off as new.

[NERDLIKEACTIVITIES]You know, your username should really be "MacOSNerd". [/NERDLIKEACTIVITIES]
LOL You're right but MacosNerd seems a little more visually pleasing, easier on the eye - at least it is to my 40+ year old eyes

Railroader
Banned
Aug 17, 2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
LOL You're right but MacosNerd seems a little more visually pleasing, easier on the eye - at least it is to my 40+ year old eyes
ahhh... a design nerd as well... touche'

I have to agree with you, MacosNerd does look better than MacOSNerd. But you could be a Macos Nerd, whatever that is, instead of a Macintosh Operating System Nerd.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm not a nerd!!1!1eleven!
Just because you can't answer his question.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 04:09 PM

I feel like I owe this thread a post.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 17, 2007, 04:10 PM

It thanks you.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 17, 2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I feel like I owe this thread a post.
Actually, it's two posts and a smarmy comment with a joke.

We're/its waiting.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It thanks you.
Proud of you®

Apologies to rickey

red rocket
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2007, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
That's not what ‘as new’ means.

‘As new’ means ‘as good as new’ or near mint. As in buying a computer, unpacking it, plugging it in, testing it for functionality, dead pixels etc., then going on holiday for a month, coming back and deciding you didn't want the computer any more, deleting your user account, and wrapping it up again to be sold.

It's not really used, it's not really new, it's ‘as new’.

‘new’ = new
‘as new’ = as good as new, makes no difference except to purists
‘like new’ = refurbished or comparable

Railroader
Banned
Aug 18, 2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
That's not what ‘as new’ means.
Yes. It. Is.
‘As new’ means ‘as good as new’ or near mint.
Sorry, "as good as new" does not mean the same "as new".
As in buying a computer, unpacking it, plugging it in, testing it for functionality, dead pixels etc., then going on holiday for a month, coming back and deciding you didn't want the computer any more, deleting your user account, and wrapping it up again to be sold.

It's not really used, it's not really new, it's ‘as new’.

‘new’ = new
‘as new’ = as good as new, makes no difference except to purists
‘like new’ = refurbished or comparable
Sorry, you're wrong, and eBay, (which might know a little bit about this stuff) has it correct.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Aug 21, 2007, 04:21 AM

Surely the issue here is that the phrase "as new" keyword spams the phrase "new", so if someone wanted to search for a "new imac" they would find your listing, which in eBay's eyes is wrong.

It's a bit like saying "iMac - not iBook, MacBook or MacPro" in an attempt to get more views per auction, right?!?

Forum Links
Forum Rules