Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mp3's on OS 8

Mp3's on OS 8
abm_2000_2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2003, 01:23 PM

I have an older G3 with OS 8 and 2.9GB of free memory. I wired the CPU to my stereo and I wanted to use it for music storage. I was wondering what the best CD ripper and mp3 manager would be for this old of an OS. If there is a way to upgrade my OS for free, I'd like to know that also. Thanks.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 04:24 PM

Hi! Welcome to the MacNN Boards!!!

Your best bet is searching on www.versiontracker.com under the "Mac OS" section. I'm not 100% positive that any programs will do what you want on such an old OS, however they might have something...good luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 02:33 PM

Everything above 7.5.X is still not vintage, so Apple isn�t willing to give it away for free. If ebay is not an option you�re stuck with OS 8.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

abm_2000_2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2003, 10:30 AM

Thanks! I'll try what you've suggested.

deaconMPG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2003, 01:36 PM

Is the old machine running OS 8 your only machine. If it is then you are stuck with older rippers and you won't get the rippers with the new codec (mp3 crusher or something, new is better I guess) But if you had a new machine then I would rip and then transfer.

But back before iTunes I use to use Audio Catalyst which was nice, did your standard rip and a sort in folders. There should be a host of free players Vamp always a fun one. WinAmp, maybe

But do check the versiontracker.com alway the best source of info

Forum Links
Forum Rules