Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > UPS Automator/AppleScript Script

UPS Automator/AppleScript Script
jeffhatz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2008, 01:25 AM

I am using a MacBook Pro running 10.5.4. I also have an APC battery backup. The only thing hooked up to the battery backup is my external drives. Anyway, I was wondering if there is any way to tie either AppleScript or an Automator action to the UPS state that would eject the drives when only x% remains? I would also be ok if it ejects the drives as soon as power fails, but the former is my preference.

Under the Energy Saver preference pane, the battery backup is showing up and I can configure the computer to shutdown on a certain battery level, time limit, etc. I do not want to configure the computer to shutdown as it is a laptop and running out of AC power is not a problem.

I also know nothing about automator or AppleScript, so any help there would be greatly appreciated!
MacBook Pro 17" Early 2008 | 2.6GHz C2D | 200GB 7200RPM | 4GB RAM | 23" ACD
iPhone 3G 16GB Black
iPod Classic 80GB

himself
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2008, 05:24 PM

First, you need to determine whether the APC software supports AppleScript. To do this, open up Script Editor (in the "AppleScript" folder in Applications) open up the Library from the "Window" menu, and click the "+" button and see whether it will allow you to add the APS software. If so, you can see what functions are available to AppleScript. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules