Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Photo 30 Gig Issue, help

iPod Photo 30 Gig Issue, help
powerbook911
Jul 13, 2005, 02:30 AM

Since the second or third day my iPod Photo 30 gig arrived, I've had this problem off and on:

I go to play the iPod, it has been idle, and nothing happens. The screen does not come on, nothing. No, the hold switch is not on. In order to fix it, I have to do the restart (hold menu and select). It then restarts and everything works. I even restored the software a couple days ago, and put everything back on it, but it is still doing it.

Is this something to worry about, or is the software in the photo iPods simply more buggy than the B&W 20 gig clickwheel I had?

I really appreciate your help.
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 03:20 AM

Try pressing just the select button or holding it down for a couple of seconds. Mine seems to do the same thing if I haven't used it in a day or more. After pushing the middle button, it goes to a dark apple screen, then a lighted one, and takes about a minute to boot up.

I could be wrong, but I think it goes into a deeper powersaving sleep.

ChrisF
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by powerbook911
Since the second or third day my iPod Photo 30 gig arrived, I've had this problem off and on:

I go to play the iPod, it has been idle, and nothing happens. The screen does not come on, nothing. No, the hold switch is not on. In order to fix it, I have to do the restart (hold menu and select). It then restarts and everything works. I even restored the software a couple days ago, and put everything back on it, but it is still doing it..
Any chance you're playing podcasts or bookmarkable AAC files (.m4b files)?
iPods have a bug where they'll not wake up if you play mono versions of these files.

powerbook911  (op)
Jul 13, 2005, 04:20 PM

ChrisF,

Definitely, I have been listening to a lot of pod-casts. Do you think that is the problem then? So no worries? I can just keep restarting it?

iLikeBeer - Yes, I am ware of that deeper powersleep or whatever the correct term is, but this happens after having the iPod sit only a little bit of time.

I greatly appreciate the help both of you have offered!
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

ChrisF
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by powerbook911
ChrisF,

Definitely, I have been listening to a lot of pod-casts. Do you think that is the problem then? So no worries? I can just keep restarting it?
I guess you can, but you'll probably lose your place. The easiest thing to do, if you have the space on the iPod, is to convert them to stereo AACs using iTunes. Takes up more space but won't freeze.

Forum Links
Forum Rules