Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12 inch what to buy

12 inch what to buy
Bill Kinkle
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2005, 04:19 AM

I have a 15 inch 800mhz PB but its a little too big for the plane and train, so I am going to buy a 12 inch model but am not quite sure what to get. Should I get a 1gig, 1.33 or 1.5? Are there any major differences between these 3 models? I will be doing some editing using FCP on it. Thanks in advance.
Quad G5 1.5 gig 12 inch PB Lots of other stuff.

http://www.billkinkle.com

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Oct 18, 2005, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Kinkle
I have a 15 inch 800mhz PB but its a little too big for the plane and train, so I am going to buy a 12 inch model but am not quite sure what to get. Should I get a 1gig, 1.33 or 1.5? Are there any major differences between these 3 models? I will be doing some editing using FCP on it. Thanks in advance.

I think there are no major differences, except the clockspeed, the hd rpm and the video card. I expect the faster models become a little bit hotter.

But if you buy now it might have to last for a while. So why do you hesitate to buy the 1.5GHz model?

My 1GHz Powerbook is still nice and it does exactly the jobs that you mention very well.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2005, 06:26 AM

My 1Gig (Rev B 12") came with a 4200 rpm drive. However, I had no problem capturing and editing with FCE on the internal drive. I've upgraded the drive now to a 5400 rpm one.

The graphics card has hardly changed in the 12". Only the amount of VRAM has changed.

Any would do really.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2005, 09:02 AM

Wait until tomorrow, and ask the question again.

robisconfusedd
Oct 18, 2005, 09:36 AM

id go with the 1.33 or 1.5, the 1Ghz is too slow, ive used the 1.5 and my 1ghz and compared and the 1.5 felt a LOT faster..

just my 2 cents!
BimmerForums - the forum for the ultimate driving machine.

::12" of pure joy::
1Ghz G4, 1.25GB ram

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 12:19 AM

I still have the original 867. While I would certainly love to have a newer one, this model has and continues to serve me quite well. I am eagerly awaiting the newer macintels next year. Tomorrow's update doesn't interest me much although it is always fun to see the announcements.

I highly recommend the 12" PB no matter what speed it comes in. Maybe tomorrow will be a good day for you.
( Last edited by kcmac; Oct 19, 2005 at 12:28 AM. )

reemas
Senior User
Oct 19, 2005, 01:46 AM

don't listen to analogika. buy it today. in fact buy it now. then second guess yourself tomorrow.

seriously, just wait till tomorrow, even if they don't announce anything, it's just a 1 day wait worth a few hundred dollars.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2005, 06:37 AM

edit: I lern to read gud next time, promise.
( Last edited by analogika; Oct 21, 2005 at 08:25 AM. )

rjt1000
Senior User
Oct 19, 2005, 06:33 PM

Hi,

The early 1 ghz aluminum powerbooks had a number of build issues. I would go for the 1.33 or 1.5. Check out the special deals page at the apple store or the refurbs page at macprices.com over the next week or so and see if the bargains are good enough, if not go with a new one. I personally would avoid buying on eBay, where PBs sell at amazingly high prices.

Rich (12 inch 1.33 and a pinkeyed pismo)

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by rjt1000
Hi,

The early 1 ghz aluminum powerbooks had a number of build issues.
Oooh what like? Just wondered cus I've got one, which interestingly enough was a refurb. I thought it was only the revA's that had some problems and then the later scrolling trackpad ones?

rjt1000
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 07:10 PM

Hi ism,

Oops, I stand corrected. It was indeed the rev A --> 867 mhz that had the build problems, not the 1ghz rev Bs.

Rich

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Oct 21, 2005, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ism
Oooh what like? Just wondered cus I've got one, which interestingly enough was a refurb. I thought it was only the revA's that had some problems and then the later scrolling trackpad ones?
Hi ism,

I just saw that you have a 120 GB hd in your Powerbook.
I asume it is the seagate? How is it speedwise and noisewise compared to the stock hd. Did you buy your powerbook equipped with a 40 or 60 GB hd?

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2005, 08:34 AM

Ayup I was David B.

It is the Seagate. My stock drive was a 40Gb 4200 rpm so it is noticeably faster (can't really qualify how much). And quiet too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules