Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Photo Connector does not work with iPhone

iPod Photo Connector does not work with iPhone
quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2008, 06:35 PM

Attaching the iPod Photo Connector to a 16Gig 3G iPhone immediately produced a message saying, "This accessory is not supported by iPhone"
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

philm
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2008, 07:35 PM

Lots of devices that work with iPods and the first generation iPhone don't work with the iPhone 3G. A power connector issue which I don't fully understand.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2008, 11:00 PM

This is a real sore point for me. I can no longer use my old iPod car charger - doesn't work with iPhone 3G (this *really* annoyed me in the aftermath of hurricane Ike, with no electricity at the house). I can no longer charge my iPhone while it's plugged into my (Apple) HiFi - not compatible with iPhone 3G. I have yet to Apple's rationale for this change.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2008, 11:24 PM

iPod/iPhone accessories market, despite Apple giving their stamp of approval to so many accessories, have become a giant debacle... every release comes with new/different compatibility lists. Some compatibility changes for cost reduction, some for added DRM support, etc.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2008, 11:32 PM

Not to worry. If enough people want it, I'm sure Apple will release an iPhone compatible one ... for twice the price of the original.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2008, 04:50 AM

It didn't work with the old iPhone or first-generation iPod touch, either.

I don't think it ever worked with any of the nanos, and I'm not sure about the iPod classic.

In fact, I believe the camera connector was iPod photo and video ONLY.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2008, 09:59 AM

Since you couldn't actually *view* pictures transferred via the Connector, the only real purpose for it was to be able to leech off your iPod's disk space when you filled up your memory card. Given how cheap memory is now, that function isn't super necessary.

What I would really like is the ability to view photos off my memory card. My camera's view screen is good for review, but for sharing pictures before I've had a chance to get to a computer, the iPod's screen is better. This is something that I would do with my PSP; pop the memory stick into the PSP and it had no troubles displaying them.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2008, 11:43 AM

Get yourself a AC-DC inverter for your car. I use mine all the time.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2008, 06:18 PM

The iPod photo connecter hasn't worked with any newer iPods for a long time.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2008, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
iPod/iPhone accessories market, despite Apple giving their stamp of approval to so many accessories, have become a giant debacle... every release comes with new/different compatibility lists. Some compatibility changes for cost reduction, some for added DRM support, etc.
But is it a stamp of approval, or a licensing program?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 04:36 AM

At the time the photo connector was advertised to work with a certain set of iPods. It worked with those and it still does. It never worked on iPhones or newer iPods. It was never advertised to work them either.

It's foolish to assume that "Made for iPod" means it will work with all future iPods or even other products (like the iPhone).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
But is it a stamp of approval, or a licensing program?
Apple tests the device and makes sure it works well with the iPods it's advertised to work with. They apply their stamp of approval and the manufacturer pays them for it. It's a business.

It is by no means any kind of warranty that this product will work on some or all future versions of the iPod or any other device that has Apple on it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules