Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Set up my Mac G3 300 for wireless

Set up my Mac G3 300 for wireless
viol8ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 03:36 PM

Okay, I am a Mac newbie, so be easy on me.

I have 5 computers in my house, 4 are PCs all on a wireless network. All set up easy as pie.

I have a blue/white PowerMac G3 300 with OS9. I need to find the easiest way to set it up for wireless to access my network. I have a Linksys Wirless-G router. My mac is in an office that has no wired access, and the router is located in another room, or else I would just run Cat5 and hardwire it to the router.

From what I have been able to find after 3 hours of searching the net is that the G3 with OS9 cannot be set up wireless? OSX is Airport capable, and all G4s and newer Macs also have the antannae etc built in and all they need is a card.

So long question short, what is the easiest way to get this beotch onto my network? Are there USB solutions? I found a bunch but they look to be Windows only. The Airpoty cards look like they require G4 or better and OSX or higher. All I want is a freaking card that plugs into a slot so I can use this beastie in my business along with my other PCs,

Thanx
[FONT=Arial Black]Respectability in art is appalling.[/FONT]

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2005, 05:50 PM

There are some solutions; I remember looking into the subject when it was raised by another poster. I certainly wouldn't go USB because that's a good road to go down.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

viol8ion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2005, 03:50 PM

http://www.welovemacs.com/wua800.html

I think I found my solution with the USB 300 ft. Wireless Airport Mini (802.11g & 802.11b) Adapter Has anyone had experience with this setup?

Here is the info from the website:
AeroPad Mini turns any computer with an Ethernet port into a wireless capable machine, able to connect to and access Wi-Fi networks.

AeroPad Mini is extraordinary in that it does not require drivers to function and is compatible with Mac OS 9.x, 10.x, Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, Linux, as well as XBox, PS2, or Tivo. AeroPad offers genuine cross-platform compatibility.

The AeroPad Mini lets you breathe new life in your older Mac models such as iBooks, G3’s, iMacs, and any computer that do not have a 802.11g wireless solution available to them (e.g. no AirPort Card slot, no AirPort Extreme slot, no PCMCIA card slot, or no PCI slot. Now these computers can be placed anywhere without the hassle of running long cables.

AeroPad Mini spares the tedium of setting up cables or opening up the computer to insert a networking card.
( Last edited by viol8ion; Oct 3, 2005 at 03:58 PM. Reason: new info)

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2005, 05:53 PM

Wow, I had read your post the other day and didn't come up with anything to add to the quandary. I think you, as the bold man of action, the captain of industry that you are, should buy this device and tell all od us in great detail how it works.

Thanks in advance.
:-)

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by viol8ion

So long question short, what is the easiest way to get this beotch onto my network?
All USB wireless sucks.

Any ethernet wireless bridge will work. What you found is not extraordinary, its the basic web browser setup they all use.
Since you have a linksys router you may as well get the Linksys Bridge they will find each othe without you even trying if they are set to default settings. Web interface works in both classic and X.

This thread should have been in networking. Someone would have pointed you to it sooner.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 08:52 AM

I have a 802.11g PCI card in my G4, can't remember what brand it is but its similar to this Linksys one:
Link

Should work fine with the Airport system software if you have a free slot for it. I hadn't seen a wireless bridge before this thread, and I'd been wondering how to get my Playstation onto a wireless network, because the PS2's network adapter is wired, now I know.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
I have a 802.11g PCI card in my G4, can't remember what brand it is but its similar to this Linksys one:
Link

Should work fine with the Airport system software if you have a free slot for it. .
NO.

He is running OS9. What you are recommending will not work. What you did only works in OSX.2 or above.

If someone wants wireless in a dual OS booting Mac computer they can only use Airport cards or a bridge.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

viol8ion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 12:15 PM

Okay... too bad I didn't get Capt. Obvious' reply sooner. If only LunkSys had the foresight to claim that their product worked with Mac... all of my searches included Mac so that I could find a product that would be sure to work... anyway, I bought the AeroPad Mini. I recommend WeLoveMacs.com, they shipped quickly.

Setting up was a PITA! The device came with decent enough documentation, I suppose it is my being a Mac novice that caused me to take 4 hours to figure out how to make this beastie work. It has never taken me more than 15 minutes to install a wireless card and be set up on my network with any of my Windows PCs, and I am running NT4.0 and ME on some of them... anyway, at least I have internet access on the Mac, even though I cannot access my other PCs on the network with it or access it with them... but again that is probably because I don't know how easy Macs are to do this stuff.

mcgeehan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2005, 01:58 PM

I'm in same boat. Trying to hook Aeropad Mini to get my old iMac onto my home network. Keeps getting hung up as I try to work through the config. I have to keep unplugging and replugging the USB cable. I think one of my problems is that my Belkin router came preset to Channel 11 and the aeropad is set to 6. When I go through the changes and come to the restart button, I get nothing. It won't reboot the aeropad. Any suggestions?

QUOTE=viol8ion]Okay... too bad I didn't get Capt. Obvious' reply sooner. If only LunkSys had the foresight to claim that their product worked with Mac... all of my searches included Mac so that I could find a product that would be sure to work... anyway, I bought the AeroPad Mini. I recommend WeLoveMacs.com, they shipped quickly.

Setting up was a PITA! The device came with decent enough documentation, I suppose it is my being a Mac novice that caused me to take 4 hours to figure out how to make this beastie work. It has never taken me more than 15 minutes to install a wireless card and be set up on my network with any of my Windows PCs, and I am running NT4.0 and ME on some of them... anyway, at least I have internet access on the Mac, even though I cannot access my other PCs on the network with it or access it with them... but again that is probably because I don't know how easy Macs are to do this stuff.[/QUOTE]

Forum Links
Forum Rules