Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty Mouse alternatives?

Mighty Mouse alternatives?
KenJJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2009, 05:17 PM

My first wireless mighty mouse lasted appox 6 months before the scroll ball stopped scrolling. I first started having trouble scrolling down then it stopped scrolling all together. I returned it for a new mighty mouse and now this one is already having scroll ball problems after just 3 months. I've read a number of complaints about people having the same problem. From what I understand the scroll ball gets dirty which causes it to gunk up the scroll wheel.

There are some creative techniques posted on youtube for cleaning the scroll ball to get it scrolling again but I'm getting tired of the problems. Never had one single problem with the scroll wheel on the mouse I used for my PC. The question I have is can any of you recommend a wireless bluetooth mouse that's been more dependable than the mighty mouse?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2009, 08:28 PM

It's possible, even easy, to clean the scroll ball. If you'd looked here in the Consumer Hardware & Components forum, you'd have seen a LOT of discussion of this issue. Basically, the MM is not the "best mouse in the world." But if it came free with your Mac, why not learn the VERY basic and simple steps to clean the scroll ball and keep it working? Not meaning to sound harsh, but there it is.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It's possible, even easy, to clean the scroll ball. If you'd looked here in the Consumer Hardware & Components forum, you'd have seen a LOT of discussion of this issue. Basically, the MM is not the "best mouse in the world." But if it came free with your Mac, why not learn the VERY basic and simple steps to clean the scroll ball and keep it working? Not meaning to sound harsh, but there it is.
The problem is my mighty mouse didn't come with my computer. I have a Macbook Pro and added a 23 inch monitor so I had to purchase the mouse and keyboard for an extra charge. I'm looking for the best wireless mouse I can get. I assumed the mighty mouse was it but apparently that's not the case.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2009, 09:39 PM

Since you originally posted in the Mac Pro forum, I assumed the mouse came with your Mac. As it is, until you can find the "holy grail" of wireless mice, read this thread thoroughly. You'll learn things like how to clean the scroll ball, which will make your quest less immediate.

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2009, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Since you originally posted in the Mac Pro forum, I assumed the mouse came with your Mac. As it is, until you can find the "holy grail" of wireless mice, read this thread thoroughly. You'll learn things like how to clean the scroll ball, which will make your quest less immediate.
I wasn't sure where to post this but I will look through this thread thoroughly. Appreciate the response.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 10:10 PM

I still recommend Logitech's v450 wireless laser notebook mouse. I've got two and they are excellent!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2009, 05:32 AM

I have the Logitech MX Revolution which besides not being BT (which may matter if you're a notebook user cause the receptor is not small) is really nice. For laptop use the VX Revolution or the VX Nano may be a better suit option. Battery may last longer though.

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2009, 06:17 AM

I use my Macbook Pro like a desk top that's why I use a mouse. As I mentioned I have a 23 inch monitor attached to it and set my Macbook off to the side and dim the screen. I prefer a full size mouse that fits comfortably in my hand. When I travel I leave the mouse at home and use the touch pad on my Macbook Pro.

OreoCookie
Jun 10, 2009, 08:45 AM

If you take it apart to clean it every once in a while, a mighty mouse is great.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2009, 09:48 AM

Which begs the question, "how do you take it apart?" I haven't found a way to do it...

OreoCookie
Jun 10, 2009, 12:06 PM

There are some nice youtube videos on this. Although you will need glue to stick the bottom part to the case again (just a tiny bit is enough, you just want to keep it from falling off).

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2009, 03:34 PM

I just feel if you have to take a mouse apart to clean it every few months to get it to scroll there's a flaw in the design. I had the same mouse for several years with my PC and never once had a scrolling problem. Maybe Apple should replace the scroll ball with a scroll wheel? The ball seems to attract alot of dirt that can enter the mouse. When people have to make youtube video's showing tricks on how to clean the mighty mouse to get it to scroll again there's a problem.

OreoCookie
Jun 11, 2009, 05:07 AM

The scroll ball is great and I really like the mouse. It's not suited for games (which sometimes require you to press two buttons at the same time -- but neither am I

So far, it's the best mouse I like (I really tried not to get a mighty mouse, seriously!)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by KenJJ View Post
The question I have is can any of you recommend a wireless bluetooth mouse that's been more dependable than the mighty mouse?
Anything from Logitech. Go to Fry's or Best Buy or something and look at all of them to find one that fits your hand and fingers best.

Most of their mice come with three-year warranties; some come with five-year. You're pretty much covered if it starts acting up or quits working. I got an MX1000 (RF, not BT) on eBay a few weeks ago, and it started acting up right away - double-clicking when I didn't want it to, which is apparently a common problem with the MX1000. It was technically out of warranty, but Logitech was more than happy to send me a replacement (along with a prepaid shipping label to return the bad mouse), and since the MX1000 is no longer being produced, I was able to upgrade to an MX1100 (I originally was going to get the MX Revolution, but it only has an 800DPI sensor, whereas the MX1100 is adjustable up to 1200DPI). They have really outstanding customer service.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules