Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MagSafe power connector question?

MagSafe power connector question?
KenJJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2009, 04:59 AM

I have a Macbook Pro and noticed that a red light has illuminated on the MagSafe power connector. The light is normally green. What does the red light mean?

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2009, 05:13 AM

The LED light on the MagSafe adaptor just turned back to green after being red for a few minutes. I've never seen it turn red before although I probably just never noticed. This color change on the LED light may be normal. I just want to be sure a problem isn't developing.
( Last edited by KenJJ; Jul 5, 2009 at 05:20 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 05:21 AM

If the red light would stay on, something could be wrong. Resetting the SMC might help.

However, if the red only came on for short while, there's nothing to worry about.

-t

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2009, 05:25 AM

From doing a little research it appears the LED light turns red when the battery is charging. Anytime you see a red light I always think something bad. Hope that's what it is anyway. I keep my Macbook plugged in all the time to an outlet so you would think the battery would stay charged hmm.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 06:35 AM

You shouldn't keep your MacBook plugged in continually - it will reduce the life of the battery.

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by KenJJ View Post
From doing a little research it appears the LED light turns red when the battery is charging. Anytime you see a red light I always think something bad. Hope that's what it is anyway. I keep my Macbook plugged in all the time to an outlet so you would think the battery would stay charged hmm.
The light should turn orange when charging, not red. Like turtle said, it's really only a problem if it stays red.

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You shouldn't keep your MacBook plugged in continually - it will reduce the life of the battery.

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks
If he keeps it plugged in continually, he probably doesn't care what the battery life is like.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post

If he keeps it plugged in continually, he probably doesn't care what the battery life is like.
I use my Macbook Pro like a desk top with a 23 inch monitor connected to it so I never go wireless. So keeping my Macbook plugged in 24/7 will weaken the battery? Will it eventually kill the battery and render it useless regardless if it's plugged into an outlet?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 5, 2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by KenJJ View Post
I use my Macbook Pro like a desk top with a 23 inch monitor connected to it so I never go wireless. So keeping my Macbook plugged in 24/7 will weaken the battery? Will it eventually kill the battery and render it useless regardless if it's plugged into an outlet?
Not "exercising" a lithium ion battery will degrade it at a much faster rate than it would experience from simply using it. It's a good idea now and then to run it on battery. As Apple puts it, this "keeps the electrons moving" and maintains the battery's ability to retain a charge.

Read this knowledge base article on notebook batteries. Lots of good advice, straight from the source.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Not "exercising" a lithium ion battery will degrade it at a much faster rate than it would experience from simply using it. It's a good idea now and then to run it on battery. As Apple puts it, this "keeps the electrons moving" and maintains the battery's ability to retain a charge.

Read this knowledge base article on notebook batteries. Lots of good advice, straight from the source.
Thanks for the info.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 6, 2009, 01:50 PM

Caution: this does NOT mean to religiously unplug it as soon as it's finished charging! Just be sure to occasionally run down the battery, like once or twice a month.

Forum Links
Forum Rules