Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Smart Car

Smart Car
drg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2008, 04:16 PM

I just returned to the US from the UK. In Oxford I saw a shinny black Smart Car with the white Apple decal posted just above the Smart emblem on the back. Cool, damn cool.
eschew obfuscation

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 04:27 PM

only in oxford.
We're too classy in Cambridge
we don't have time to stop for gas

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 05:34 PM

uh, cool?

and no pics or anything to foul up your wonderful post?

voted 5.

alright to add something to this thread- i've seen a couple of them up here in NY, mostly with ontario plates, but yesterday i saw one registered in the states. looked pretty goofy tailgating a f250.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 07:32 AM

Considering I live about 20 miles from the only Smart car dealership in Michigan AND the fact that Smart has pre-sold its entire 30,000 run of the first model year, I haven't seen a single one in Michigan yet.

Of course, it's still winter and the weather is especially crappy right now. Maybe when spring really arrives?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 08:13 AM

It's a novelty, and Penske, the U. S. distributor, may have made one of his few bad business decisions. There are many subcompacts available at the Smart's price that are a much better value, and he's going to find that out soon enough.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 08:38 AM

How much control over the price does he have?

I'm not sold on it quite yet. The idea is novel, but I'd hate to be on i-95 in one and be surronded by semi-trucks and SUVs.
Besides its really not a family friendly car.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 19, 2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Considering I live about 20 miles from the only Smart car dealership in Michigan AND the fact that Smart has pre-sold its entire 30,000 run of the first model year, I haven't seen a single one in Michigan yet.

Of course, it's still winter and the weather is especially crappy right now. Maybe when spring really arrives?
I've actually seen quite a few around town.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 11:13 AM

I've had one for a few months now, really like it. I don't need a car with a back seat (I used the back seat in my old car 2-3 times in 3 years), and its better on fuel too. Once you are sitting in the car, it doesn't feel like you're sitting in an 8ft-and-a-bit long car. And I'm 6'6" and fit in it fine, and it's funny to see people's looks when they see me get out of it , and better again was the look on my 18 stone mate's parents faces when I gave him a lift home and we both got out .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
It's a novelty, and Penske, the U. S. distributor, may have made one of his few bad business decisions. There are many subcompacts available at the Smart's price that are a much better value, and he's going to find that out soon enough.
I'll put you down as "It's going to be a failure." then. I've heard the same spouted about Macs. We know how that's working out...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 01:32 PM

saw one this morning on my way to work. sitting in a parking lot though and i was already passed the curb cut to turn in for a better look.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I've had one for a few months now, really like it. I don't need a car with a back seat (I used the back seat in my old car 2-3 times in 3 years), and its better on fuel too. Once you are sitting in the car, it doesn't feel like you're sitting in an 8ft-and-a-bit long car. And I'm 6'6" and fit in it fine, and it's funny to see people's looks when they see me get out of it , and better again was the look on my 18 stone mate's parents faces when I gave him a lift home and we both got out .
That best be the Brabus version or you've just injected enough anti-Clarkson into your online persona to render your sig completely inert.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 03:06 PM

Not a Brabus, a Pulse (I'm not made of money!). Still got wider tyres and flappy paddles to play with though .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules