Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple users and Mini Coopers :-)

Apple users and Mini Coopers :-)
duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2002, 08:18 PM

So um...how many of you here have the new Mini Cooper/Cooper S, or have one on order? if you're THINKING about it, it doesn't count :-D i've got one on order...deliver Jan - Feb 2003...long wait, but it's worth it! It just seems to me that Apple users would like Mini Coopers. I know this one does!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2002, 08:22 PM

I ALMOST got one! I settled on a VW Golf instead though. I couldn't wait the 6 months it would've taken for me to get it. I desperately needed a car at the time. Maybe my next car will be a Mini. They are really cool little cars. The interior kicks my ass. I love it. But I like my Golf. It does me good.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2002, 09:47 PM

does a 72 mg midget count? its british and sweet as hell

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

talisker
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 09:59 PM

Now a "proper" Mini Cooper would be nice - although these new Minis are nice cars, I think they're hardly in the spirit of the original. Have you seen a new and an old one side by side? The new one is gigantic (relatively). There's also something about the styling that makes them look much bigger than they really are (which is still pretty big). I think it's the way the top is so much narrower than the bottom at the back - makes them look really stodgy, rather than trim and nimble which is what a mini should be.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2002, 04:23 AM

I love the classic Mini. However I'm selling mine at the moment - the Landy is taking up all of my time, nevermention money.

Beauty and the beast:

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2002, 05:43 AM

I used to have a 60's 1275 Cooper S... Red with black roof and gold dunlop 'cosmic' alloys. It was amazing.

It had a few rally mods, such as twin webber (!), a straight through exhaust, sump guard etc. It still ranks as the most fun car I have ever had...

I also had a Rover Special Products (RSP) 1990 Cooper in black. It also had the John Cooper 'S' pack fitted.... To this day I really regret selling it.

I'm not totally sold on the new MINI... It seems, well, too BMW for my taste, a little too refined. Also the styling is just too retro. Although I have heard that they drive amazingly so maybe I'm missing out... Also the price is a bit steep to me when you tick a few of the items on the option list... However, If I were to get one, I would be straight to John Cooper Garages for some 'real' Cooper fettled

I currently have a Renault Sport Clio 172, with which I am very happy indeed...but I guess I'll give the 'S' a quck look when I change...

Duboy, hope you enjoy the MINI...you'll have to give us a report on it when you get it delivered!

Peace,

Marc

Sealobo
Nov 7, 2002, 06:50 AM

i will never get a Mini cuz it's too cute for me... my girlfriend is thinking about getting the Cooper S though... but then she tried out the Alfa 147 and now she's having a hard time making decision... hehe... i recommended her to wait for the 147 GTA... it's the utlimate grocery getter....

Anyway, the Mini is a great car.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2002, 06:54 AM

Mini: Too small, frankly, I'd be insecure in it *shrug*

But I'd take a mini cooper over an SUV, ANY TIME!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

ratter
Nov 7, 2002, 09:48 AM

My fiance and I just took delivery of our Mini a couple of weeks ago. Very cool car. We just got the base model with some upgrades (leather, cold weather, chrome trim, etc.) It's a little underpowered for my tastes, but she loves it. I mean, I don't expect it to be a rocket, but the cruise control lags a bit when going up steep hills, etc. The interior is nice, but I wouldn't call it too refined...not with all that plastic in there. The leather seats are very well done. Road noise is a little much at highway speeds. But it has a very good price:cool ratio - it turns a lot of heads. Our other car is a Jetta GLX...who woulda thought that it would ever be the "big" car of the family?! I'm thinking of trading it for a used cherokee or maybe a pickup...something with some actual cargo room...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2002, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
I love the classic Mini. However I'm selling mine at the moment - the Landy is taking up all of my time, nevermention money.

Beauty and the beast:

I'd go the other way with that... Sell the behemoth (what good is an SUV that only goes to and from the repair shop? That drive gets dull) and keep the mini! That's an awesome looking car!

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2002, 11:06 AM

We just got one for my wife recently. Picked it up on a Friday evening, but then she got creamed from behind by a damn taxi on Sunday morning. Was in the shop forever. Kind of took the new car thrill out of it. On the other hand, the safety features of the car did perform well.

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2002, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by ratter:
I mean, I don't expect it to be a rocket, but the cruise control lags a bit when going up steep hills, etc.
Got an S in August. Terribly fun car to drive. For all those who always say "the original is better." Get an original. I wanted a car that drove amazingly, captured some of the Mini essence, and was a bit safer than the original, so I got a new one.

I would say the non-S seemed a little underpowered to me. But the S gets there fast enough. If you need to go faster, Camaros are a good deal. Also, about the cruise control, there is a definite lag associated with it, but it does NOT seem to be connected with engine power - seems more to do with faulty programming or something.

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2002, 11:19 AM

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2002, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by chris v:

I'd go the other way with that... Sell the behemoth (what good is an SUV that only goes to and from the repair shop? That drive gets dull) and keep the mini! That's an awesome looking car!

CV

Nahhh. I love the Landy. For a 40 year old car it's actually amazingly reliable - the money I am spending on it is purely by choice, I'm restoring it to it's former glory. And, SUV? Hah. It's a 4x4 light utility according to it's papers. A proper, working car the best 4x4xfar. This thing will cross deserts.

Yesterday I took half a tree home in it, firewood for winter. Last week I went to the local farm picking up a dozen bales of straw for the garden. In late December I'll be taking it up to a mountain hut in Norway for New Year. I'll get a auxilary heater fitted first mind you.

I love the Mini and no mistake. But apart from driving fast through narrow bends it's not really all that much fun. Having said that, the insurance is paid for another 12 months and they don't really depreciate in value so I am very tempted to keep it for another year.

deekay1
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2002, 12:25 PM

believe me, if i had the money i'd buy one right now (damn economy )

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Nimisys
Banned
Nov 7, 2002, 02:59 PM

D I'm thinking of trading it for a used cherokee
don't say that around here, they will kill you for less

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2002, 03:02 PM

Nahhh. I love the Landy. For a 40 year old car it's actually amazingly reliable - the money I am spending on it is purely by choice, I'm restoring it to it's former glory. And, SUV? Hah. It's a 4x4 light utility according to it's papers. A proper, working car the best 4x4xfar. This thing will cross deserts.

Yesterday I took half a tree home in it, firewood for winter. Last week I went to the local farm picking up a dozen bales of straw for the garden. In late December I'll be taking it up to a mountain hut in Norway for New Year. I'll get a auxilary heater fitted first mind you.

I love the Mini and no mistake. But apart from driving fast through narrow bends it's not really all that much fun. Having said that, the insurance is paid for another 12 months and they don't really depreciate in value so I am very tempted to keep it for another year.
Okay, I'm with you. I just had to part with my beloved 79 Chevy P/U 4x4, and it was a tough decision to make. The original Land Rovers must have been made a little "differently" from the crap they're selling in the states these days. The other tres cool 4x4 is the sixties-variety Toyota Land Cruisers, which were real tanks, too. Listen to your inner child, though. It's telling you not to sell the Mini.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

talisker
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2002, 03:11 PM

...Mini... ...cruise control...
QED

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by chris v:

Okay, I'm with you. I just had to part with my beloved 79 Chevy P/U 4x4, and it was a tough decision to make. The original Land Rovers must have been made a little "differently" from the crap they're selling in the states these days. The other tres cool 4x4 is the sixties-variety Toyota Land Cruisers, which were real tanks, too. Listen to your inner child, though. It's telling you not to sell the Mini.

CV
The Toyotas are excellent 4x4s. The original bush taxi, especially in Australia. I'm going to a Land Rover, Land Cruiser offroad meeting in two weeks. You're allowed to play if your car is more than 25 years old. Fun, fun, fun.

You're right about the Mini. Just took it down to the local shops. Zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooom. Gear change. Zooooooooooooooooooooooo. Brake. Smile.

And, yes. Cruise control on a Mini? What is the world coming to?

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Marc2211:
I used to have a 60's 1275 Cooper S... Red with black roof and gold dunlop 'cosmic' alloys. It was amazing.

It had a few rally mods, such as twin webber (!), a straight through exhaust, sump guard etc. It still ranks as the most fun car I have ever had...

I also had a Rover Special Products (RSP) 1990 Cooper in black. It also had the John Cooper 'S' pack fitted.... To this day I really regret selling it.

I'm not totally sold on the new MINI... It seems, well, too BMW for my taste, a little too refined. Also the styling is just too retro. Although I have heard that they drive amazingly so maybe I'm missing out... Also the price is a bit steep to me when you tick a few of the items on the option list... However, If I were to get one, I would be straight to John Cooper Garages for some 'real' Cooper fettled

I currently have a Renault Sport Clio 172, with which I am very happy indeed...but I guess I'll give the 'S' a quck look when I change...

Duboy, hope you enjoy the MINI...you'll have to give us a report on it when you get it delivered!

Peace,

Marc

I use to �steal� my father�s beige 1275 s, although it was 18 years old was very popular among my lady friends. That was the main reason why my first car was a early 80s mini cooper British green racing (made in Pamplona, Spain) with a modified roof so it was convertible (a kind of targa thing). A beauty. Later I painted silver (big mistake).

If I had the money I would buy it in a blink since it is the most attractive car you can buy in the US. Still way too pricey for a graduate student.
Thanks god, I have my 1984 VW red rabbit convertible�a pity that winter is coming cold in Wisconsin

ratter
Nov 7, 2002, 03:59 PM

Wow, not one, but two people lost me...

Originally posted by talisker:

QED
Come again?

Originally posted by Nimisys:

don't say that around here, they will kill you for less
"Here" being the forum? Ehh....I'm a fan of Jeeps, what can I say? Well, except for the Liberty and to a lesser extent, the Grand Cherokee. But I am very schizo when it comes to cars, I'll admit that. When I was buying the Jetta, my 4 candidates were the VW, Cherokee, Dodge Dakota, and Chevy Impala.

I LOVE my Jetta, but it would be nice to have something that will hold the occasional piece of furniture or Marshall 4x12.

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2002, 04:07 PM

Mastrap, man...if i had money lying around, i'd somehow find a way to get that mini of yours into my apt parking lot :-) but seeing as the new mini is my replacement car to come...and probably will always be wherever i am, that day will not come for a while. i really do love the original mini's, wish they sold them here in the U.S. and what i think BMW did (i.e. making the new mini bigger and safer etc) is good, because they know that a car that is safe, and slightly "posh" and has very good performance will sell in the U.S. i think even if rover sold the original mini here in the U.S. in the 1990's, i think they might have a problem if it didn't have many comfort features. kidtexas pretty much summed it up a few posts earlier :-) i think at it's price point, you get many great things. all i know is, if the new mini were around when i bought my civic in '98...i would have paid the extra 4K to get all the amenities. I can't wait for mine to come! too far away!

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2002, 05:27 PM

I've had my mini since June - British Racing Green, stripes, rally lights, leather everything. I love it. I'm 6'2 and 200lbs, and I have plenty of room in there.

The piece de resistance is that I finally got my custom plate for it yesterday: ITLNJOB
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

marusin
Senior User
Nov 7, 2002, 05:39 PM

We're in the market to buy a car and I have my eyes on Mini S and the Toyota Matrix (don't know why but I like it?)... Another possibility is a Jetta Wagon for room to haul stuff (currently have a regular Jetta Sedan that we're gonna trade in)...

I guess I really need to drive all of them and figure it out... I love the Mini though and am trying to convince my wife that we don't need "all that room" just yet...

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2002, 05:39 PM

capuchin, that sounds like a great car! the one i've got on order is a chili red with white roof, bonnet strips and wheels :-D i wanna put rally lights...but i heard something about in the U.S. you can't use them for driving around or something? maybe i'm mistaken.

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2002, 05:55 PM

Rally lights are fine - the problem comes with rear fog lights, which are only legal in Europe (or so I believe). I use 'em all the time - I have a sweet, tightly winding four mile drive home on a mountain road with no streetlights and no traffic ;-)

Congrats on your new car!

Originally posted by duboy:
capuchin, that sounds like a great car! the one i've got on order is a chili red with white roof, bonnet strips and wheels :-D i wanna put rally lights...but i heard something about in the U.S. you can't use them for driving around or something? maybe i'm mistaken.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by capuchin:

The piece de resistance is that I finally got my custom plate for it yesterday: ITLNJOB

That number on a new BMW Mini?????

Try telling that to these guys without getting lynched.

talisker
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2002, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by capuchin:
Rally lights are fine - the problem comes with rear fog lights, which are only legal in Europe (or so I believe). I use 'em all the time - I have a sweet, tightly winding four mile drive home on a mountain road with no streetlights and no traffic ;-)
Aaaargh! I hadnt realised rear fog lights were only for Europe, if so you Americans should be thankful. People who drive with rear fog lights on in situations other than fog / very heavy rain / poor visibility are a menace in Europe. There's nothing worse than following someone with a dazzling red light shining at you for no other reason that it's dark. Quite dangerous in terms of being distracting I would imagine. So Capuchin - turn them off! Your normal rear lights will be more effective in typical nighttime conditions. See, there's a hint in the name - FOG lights. rant rant rant....

Ooops, Capuchin I may have criticised you unfairly there. From rereading your post I see that you may mean you keep your rally lights on, not rear fogs. Anyway, my rant still stands.

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2002, 06:24 PM

Tch! Mini Purists ;-)

Check out mini2.com - bunch of guys fixing them up with Nitro amonst other things...

That number on a new BMW Mini?????

Try telling that to these guys without getting lynched.

Raman
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2002, 09:04 PM

Wow, not one, but two people lost me...

Come again?

"Here" being the forum? Ehh....I'm a fan of Jeeps, what can I say? Well, except for the Liberty and to a lesser extent, the Grand Cherokee. But I am very schizo when it comes to cars, I'll admit that. When I was buying the Jetta, my 4 candidates were the VW, Cherokee, Dodge Dakota, and Chevy Impala.

I LOVE my Jetta, but it would be nice to have something that will hold the occasional piece of furniture or Marshall 4x12.
I have a 96 cherokee. Love it. Best damn wagon I've ever driven. No, it's not a SUV, it's a real truck that can and has gone off road without any modifications. It's really good for when you're moving and stuff.

Unfortunately it's getting replaced by a Wragler sahara or rubicon... Liberty is o.k. it's a chrysler, not a Jeep. Figures - the g/f wants one. Trying to talk her into the limited or renegade...

Sealobo
Nov 7, 2002, 09:43 PM

Nimisys
Banned
Nov 8, 2002, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Raman:

I have a 96 cherokee. Love it. Best damn wagon I've ever driven. No, it's not a SUV, it's a real truck that can and has gone off road without any modifications. It's really good for when you're moving and stuff.

Unfortunately it's getting replaced by a Wragler sahara or rubicon... Liberty is o.k. it's a chrysler, not a Jeep. Figures - the g/f wants one. Trying to talk her into the limited or renegade...
i hear you on that... My 87 is the best damn truck ever. you can take people, carry stuuf, pull stuff and go anywhere you damn well please and the 4.0 motor is bulletproof.. i am at 250k now, mwahaha.

but the liberty ohh well it can do the rubicon so its better than 90% of its competitors, but it just doesn;lt have the magic that is inherant to the original cherokee.

oh well if i had to get another jeep a G.Cherokee limited with the 360 (5.9L) V8 and quadrac-trac would be my call... to bad its slushbox only

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2002, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by sealobo:
no offense but i think those rally lights are butt ugly its not really part of the cars design just like they trew them on, if they could get them in the grill like the original then it would be sweet

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Sealobo
Nov 8, 2002, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:

no offense but i think those rally lights are butt ugly its not really part of the cars design just like they trew them on, if they could get them in the grill like the original then it would be sweet
Hehe... i didn't post the pix because i thought the car looks good anyway...

However, those lights are probably useful if that mini is going to rally at night.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2002, 07:27 AM

Will we ever get an AWD mini? Seeing that WRC fantasy mock-up mini, just renewed my interest in a WRC style AWD car that actuall looks good, unlike the typical Subaru (which I like, but could be better looking) or Mitsubishi.

Come, on BMW, lets have a AWD mini with one of those sweet new common rail turbo diesels!
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

G4Y
Banned
Nov 8, 2002, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by duboy:
It just seems to me that Apple users would like Mini Coopers.
And Ikea. And be liberal. And like cappacinos. Wow. You guys sure are different.

- Ca$h

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2002, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by G4Y:

And Ikea. And be liberal. And like cappacinos. Wow. You guys sure are different.

- Ca$h
And you sure are different, along with all the others trying so hard to be different. Sheesh. Don't you know that not being trendy is now trendy? Get with it man.

G4Y
Banned
Nov 10, 2002, 04:03 AM

Whatever. HEy everyone! Like Mini coopers! Buy apple computer! Drinki Frappes! Go to Ikea!

pfft.

LAME.

- Ca$H

simonjames
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2002, 04:46 AM

Now cash - stop playing the bully. You yourself like to identify with different 'products' - why you'd choose the Neon is beyond me.

As to the Mini Cooper S - last week I put a deposit down for the Smart Roadster - not due for another 2 years but the prototypes are woodie material

deekay1
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2002, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by G4Y:
LAME.
...and that coming from somebody who's into neons?!

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2002, 05:39 AM

well...see Ca$h, it's not a being different thing that i'm talking about here. it's a "we see the value in products" thing. i guess it's just too bad for you that a lot of the new trendy things tend to have value. because then to you, it seems that EVERYONE is being trendy and you feel you have to fight it. Mini Coopers....yeah, they're trendy, but guess what? for the amount of money you pay, it is the absolute best value you can get. Sure, Macs....trendy. but guess what? some people actually see the value in using an apple computer. And Ikea? Where TF did that come from? Ikeas got good stuff, that looks nice at a decent price, if that's not value, i don't know what is. For once, think about things like this in a non-cynical way, you'll start to realize who's really being lame. Driving a Mini and using a Mac are lifestyles, you being here in the forums and posting means you live the Mac lifestyle. So think about it again....i'm not saying be trendy (i.e. if you like Apple's you better damn well like Mini's otherwise we will put you in the dog house). i'm wondering if anyone else on this board finds the Mini to be a valued product, like the Mac. since it's 430am EST, this post probably makes no sense....

G4Y
Banned
Nov 11, 2002, 12:18 PM

You can get a lot more for your money than a ****ing minicooper.

BTW, guess what engine is in the mini? A chrysler engine. The same engien that powers 'export' neons.

- Ca$h

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2002, 12:53 PM

Whats wrong with a Chrysler engine?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2002, 01:16 PM

It's not exactly a Chrysler engine - it was developed jointly by BMW with Chrysler, or vice versa. As a result the Neon is powered by a similar engine as the Mini . Look at the power/weight ratio, suspension geometry and center of gravity and you'll see why these two cars behavee rather differently on the road.

G4Y
Banned
Nov 11, 2002, 03:07 PM

Behave differently how?

0-60 times:

Neon 5spd (1st gen): 7.5 seconds
Neon SRT4: 5.8 seconds
Mini: 8.7 seconds
Mini S: 7.3 seconds

Power/Weight Ratios

Neon 5spd (1st gen): 150hp,2400lbs = .0625
Neon SRT4: 223hp*,2970lbs=
Mini: 115hp,2524lbs = .0455
Mini S: 161 hp,2550lbs = .0632

*= at the wheels, who knows how much at the flywheel

or the 1/4 mile?

Neon 5spd (1st gen): 15.9 @87mph
SRT4: 14.2 @99mph
Mini: 16.8 @81.3mph
Mini Type S: 15.8 @ 90mph

Skidpad?
Neon 5spd (1st gen): .82g
SRT4: ???
Mini: .79g
Mini Type S: ???

or Top Speed?

Neon 5spd (1st gen): 118mph base, 130mph ACR or R/T
SRT4: 148mph
Mini (base): ??
Mini Type S: ??

Ah, but lets not forget about PRICE:

Neon R/T (1st gen): About 7,000
SRT4: 20,000
Mini (base) 20,000
Mini S: 27 grand fully loaded.

Sources:
http://www.projectviper.com/srt4/specs.html
sport compact car's review of the SRT4
http://neon.atsweb.net/Dodge_Neon_RT.html (car and driver neon R/T review)
car and driver as much as possible,
and when all else failed 'edmunds' even though they're inaccurate.

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 03:21 PM

Ca$h -

It's horses for courses.

I drove my friends neon for a while. Nice car. Sporty, lots of punch, good ride.

However, my stock Cooper lets me throw it around at 65mph on slick, winding mountain roads and feel safe with my son in the back seat. Sure, it's not the most powerful car on the road, but I get 33-38mpg, nippy enough acceleration, and it's no slouch in the fast lane. I've had it to 118mph @ 5800rpm with no obvious complaining (not much chance to try that again - I live in the speed trap capitol of the world).

It's also nice to have a small car that handles like a damn go-cart. If you're in a smaller car, it's much easier to get into trouble, and the mini makes it easy to get out of it. If I had a nickel for every time some soccer Mom in an Escalade tried to pull over into me...

It's a good commuter car. If you want raw performance, it's probably not the car for you. Try the Cooper S if you're so inclined, which is about three grand more but rips like a mofo. The Mini performs really nicely, and its a hell of a lot of fun to drive, and thats why they sell so well.

Nimisys
Banned
Nov 11, 2002, 03:39 PM

cash, srt4 handeling = .85g

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2002, 03:43 PM

You know capuchin, I like cash and all, but its not worth it. Neons are with out a doubt a better bargain if you want a small quick car - especially the srt4. Personally, i don't like how it looks. Personally, I like leather seats. I like 6 airbags. I liked the handling of the mini.

Course, if I wanted power and leather seats at a good price, i could have gotten a Z28. I didn't want a big car that gets low 20 mpg (avg). Its about compromises. I'm sure all of us could have gotten a try rocket of a car if we bought a small light junker and dropped a fair amount of cash and a big ****ing motor in there.

But for now, 7.5 0-60 is fast enough for me. I like the way it looks. I like the way it drives. I like its equipment. Cash, aren't you the one who sold the neon for the SVX because you were sick of the cheap interior? I'm about as trendy as a lump of clay. I like the Mini - its fun. Who cares if its trendy or not if I like it. Who cares if its a joint BMW/Chrysler engine. I don't.

And before someone says (again) that the original minis are cooler, maybe they are in some respects. I didn't want a car THAT small. at 215 lbs, it might get tight in there. I also wanted a car that provide some level of safety and had a warranty.

But after saying all that, if you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't like NIN, so I don't buy their albums. kudos to you if you like them though; you probably don't like my music, and thats cool too.

EDIT - couldn't forget this. way to present unbiased data:

Ah, but lets not forget about PRICE:

Neon R/T (1st gen): About 7,000 - USED!
SRT4: 20,000 - assume this is correct
Mini (base) 20,000 - WRONG - base price = ~17,000
Mini S: 27 grand fully loaded. - WRONG - base price ~ 19,500.

Also, take into account the level of base equipment of the Mini is probably higher than the base equipment of the Neon. And if you are looking at purely perfomance/price ratio, why not pick up a 80's corvette or something?
( Last edited by kidtexas; Nov 11, 2002 at 03:54 PM. )

G4Y
Banned
Nov 11, 2002, 05:13 PM

Basically, my reasoning for being pissed off here is people review the mini and say "Gee, its a fun car to drive its small and tossable and it handles great!" then they review the neon and say "underpowered... rides rough... not enough room inside... etc".

Okay, BASICALLY, its the same freaking car. They're both TINY fwd cars that don't weigh a lot, and one of them is OBVIOUSLY a better performer..THE NEON. Then why do people give the neon no respect, but appreciate the Mini's 'endearing character traits'?

WHO ****ING KNOWS. But if you're going to call the Mini fun to drive, you DAMN well better call the neon even MORE fun to drive since it out-performs it in like every freaking catergory.

- Ca$h

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 05:34 PM

Ca$h - Take note of the following three instructions:

1) Take a deep breath...
2) Hold it...
3) Exhale...

The reason people don't give Neons the respect they arguably deserve is because of, well, brand perception. It's a car that gets churned out in vast numbers, so people cry "cookie-cutter. It's a decent enough, unexceptional vehicle with good performance, and widely regarded as such. And thats fine.

The Neon is a nice car, and if you want to drop time and money into it, it's probably a very nice car. Lots of people drive 'em. For my money, the Mini is the better of the two; far better construction, far better handling, and obviously a lot more care has gone into design. Let's just agree that the mini isn't the performer the neon is (though I'd love to put that to the test IRL), and that the neon is a mass-market performer without the frills the Cooper takes for granted. Like I said, horses for courses; pick your favorite and god speed.

Of course, if this doesn't seem a fair and reasonable argument, you should probably only follow steps #1 & 2. Just a suggestion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules