Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No more ADC discounts??

No more ADC discounts??
DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 09:13 PM

After purchasing a student ADC membership, I logged in and there was no option for me to purchase hardware. Anyone have any idea if Apple is discontinuing the hardware discount for student developers?
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 9, 2002, 09:50 PM

Not sure, but have you seen this thread on AppleInsider? It seems to have some good info for people using the discount, and they might be able to help you there.

djmpower
Nov 9, 2002, 10:16 PM

Do you need a Hardware Purchase Asset? I didn't get one when I signed up for the Student Developer Program?

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by djmpower:
Do you need a Hardware Purchase Asset? I didn't get one when I signed up for the Student Developer Program?
As I understand it you do and I didn't get one either but you are supposed to.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

sunkist
Banned
Nov 9, 2002, 11:41 PM

I joined the Academic Developer Connection on Wednesday, and used my membership to purchase a powerbook 1ghz with superdrive which is now 'being assembled'. Here is what you can do to make this happen for you

1) Join ADC. - Cost 99 dollars.
2) When you Join ADC, you will get a 'Person Number' on your receipt that arrives via email, as well as when you checkout when you bought your subscription.
3) Go to: http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html
4) When you have picked out what you want, you will be asked to Login to purchase your order, as with any order you make at any Apple Store.
5) Make your purchase under your account.
6) Fax a copy of your Student ID and current academic schedule to 515-674-2120. Sticking your Apple Developer Connection Person Number at the top of every piece of paper you fax is a good idea, helps to allievate any ambiguity which could possibly arise as to who you really are.
7) After faxing in your information, Apple will then look at your order and approve it or disapprove it. This will take 1-2 days depending on the amount of orders being reviewed. I would call if you don't hear back in 2 days. Call 1-800-793-9378, the Hardware Purchase Division of Developer Connection.

Basically the entire process operates under common sense. You buy your membership, pick what you want from the ADC version of the Apple Store, login under your ADC account when you are about to checkout, send in your ID and schedule and Apple puts it all together and turns it into a nice shiny Titanium Powerbook.

-Chris

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:

As I understand it you do and I didn't get one either but you are supposed to.
Im not sure if you guys read the ADC Program or not but just because you signed up doesnt mean you have an asset to buy at a discounted rate. you have to actual pay for the asset.

sunkist provide all the info needed to be able to make an purchase....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2002, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by sunkist:
I joined the Academic Developer Connection on Wednesday, and used my membership to purchase a powerbook 1ghz with superdrive which is now 'being assembled'. Here is what you can do to make this happen for you

1) Join ADC. - Cost 99 dollars.
2) When you Join ADC, you will get a 'Person Number' on your receipt that arrives via email, as well as when you checkout when you bought your subscription.
3) Go to: http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html
4) When you have picked out what you want, you will be asked to Login to purchase your order, as with any order you make at any Apple Store.
5) Make your purchase under your account.
6) Fax a copy of your Student ID and current academic schedule to 515-674-2120. Sticking your Apple Developer Connection Person Number at the top of every piece of paper you fax is a good idea, helps to allievate any ambiguity which could possibly arise as to who you really are.
7) After faxing in your information, Apple will then look at your order and approve it or disapprove it. This will take 1-2 days depending on the amount of orders being reviewed. I would call if you don't hear back in 2 days. Call 1-800-793-9378, the Hardware Purchase Division of Developer Connection.

Basically the entire process operates under common sense. You buy your membership, pick what you want from the ADC version of the Apple Store, login under your ADC account when you are about to checkout, send in your ID and schedule and Apple puts it all together and turns it into a nice shiny Titanium Powerbook.

-Chris
From the apple site:

NOTE: The person placing the order must have at least one "ADC Hardware Discount" asset on his/her Manage Assets page in the ADC Member Site or the order will not be processed. Click the image below to enter the ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store

I was under the impression when you purchased your Student ADC subscription, you would have the ADC Hardware Discount listed in the asset section of the members site. Have they done away with this in favor of the above mentioned process?

Thanks!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2002, 02:33 AM

It is different for Student ADC members. The details are at http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html

msykes
Senior User
Nov 10, 2002, 10:14 PM

It *is* different for students, as others have mentioned. You don't get a hardware asset listed in your account. You can however buy a discounted piece of hardware (which I'm typing on right now). I think Apple does this in order to try to prevent abuse of the program - ie students signing up for the ADC program just to get a discount, without any intention of ever developing software (which of course no one here is doing)

I think it even says somewhere that they can check your courses, and verify if you are a legitimate candidate for a discount. However if they gave all students an asset immediately, they couldn't really perform the same check without complaining that the asset was taken away.

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2002, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by msykes:
It *is* different for students, as others have mentioned. You don't get a hardware asset listed in your account. You can however buy a discounted piece of hardware (which I'm typing on right now). I think Apple does this in order to try to prevent abuse of the program - ie students signing up for the ADC program just to get a discount, without any intention of ever developing software (which of course no one here is doing)

I think it even says somewhere that they can check your courses, and verify if you are a legitimate candidate for a discount. However if they gave all students an asset immediately, they couldn't really perform the same check without complaining that the asset was taken away.
Thanks for your help!

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2002, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by msykes:

like i stated before, even though you are a registered ADC student. that doesnt mean crap. You have to actually buy the asset to be able to make a purchase.

if ppl would research more into then i dont think ppl will have that much confusion. Apple ADC program is very descriptive. you just got to put time into reading it all out....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 03:17 AM

We have read into it. If you read the the terms for the student program from the link above, you'd see that students do not need a hardware asset to purchase. The student program IS different from the Select and Premiere programs.

I just bought my new PowerBook without having a hardware asset. All I had to do was fax my schedule and a copy of my student id card.
Vandelay Industries

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 08:16 AM

What did you guys pay for your Powerbooks?
I guess this won't work out for students outside the US?

Regards,
PB.

JonathanT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Powerbook:
What did you guys pay for your Powerbooks?
I guess this won't work out for students outside the US?

Regards,
PB.
Wrong ! It works for students in europe too. As I saw in your infos you come from Germany so check this page : http://developer.apple.com/de/membership/europe.html

A friend in Belgium bought a powermac at -20%

And I'm waiting to order my Powerbook with this discount.

Hope this help...

kimojohnson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 12:01 PM

I purchased the $99 ADC student membership last wednesday and then ordered a 1 GHz PB with 1 Gig of RAM 20 minutes later. The total cost was 2219 + 99 = $2318.

Until this morning, my order was "Being Reviewed." I called 1-800-793-9378 (the ADC hardware purchase program number) and after a few minutes on hold spoke to a ADC rep. He said that he needed to verify my hardware asset and then remove it from my account. He did this while I was on the phone and the next time I checked my order it was "Being Assembled."

Note: I never saw a Hardware Asset appear on my account and I didn't fax anything in, although I was prepared to. The only piece of information I provided was my student ID#. Maybe my school verified that I was enrolled in a CS program, I have no idea. In any case, it was an easy process and I think calling the number helped speed up the process.

-Kimo

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by JonathanT:

Wrong ! It works for students in europe too. As I saw in your infos you come from Germany so check this page : http://developer.apple.com/de/membership/europe.html

A friend in Belgium bought a powermac at -20%

And I'm waiting to order my Powerbook with this discount.

Hope this help...

Hi Jonathan!
Thanks, I knew about that, I thought about a little more complicated idea: To get a Mac from US to Europe with student discount, because Dollar=Euro, hint hint. :-)
But I'm sure Apple is gonna to prevent this.

Anyway, do you know the exact Powerbook discount for Edu-Europe?

PB.

JonathanT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 02:23 PM

Well, that's all but a complicated thing
If you don't try to get an 'extra' discount with an order to the us store...

What do you mean by 'exact discount'?? the pric after the discount or disount percent ?

In two case it's the price in your country apple store - 20%

With discount the 1ghz(the one without DVD-R) => 2856,8� + 99� (adc membership) => 2955,8�

(price from german apple store)

PS : Sorry for my poor english

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 11:28 AM

>Well, that's all but a complicated thing
Yep! But while the Euro is above the $ it's profitably!

>If you don't try to get an 'extra' discount with an order to the us >store...
Will not even work without an US address!

>In two case it's the price in your country apple store - 20%
>With discount the 1ghz(the one without DVD-R) => 2856,8� + 99� (adc >membership) => 2955,8�
Hmmm... That's not too bad.

>PS : Sorry for my poor english
Hey, it's better than many Americans' English!

PB.

infiniti
Nov 13, 2002, 09:05 PM

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there were any Canadian developers here who have taken advantage of the ADC discount from EMJ (Apple's Canadian distributor). I am a computer engineering student, and was looking to take advantage of the one-time student discount for that Tibook. EMJ's ADC pricelists are encrypted, but when I emailed a customer rep, they told me that "Student Developers enjoy an approximately 8 - 10% discount on the AppleStore."

What's going on here? American students get 20% off, and we only get 8-10%? It doesn't seem quite right.

Anyway, please relate your experiences if you have taken advantage of the hardware discount program in Canada. Hopefully it's better than 8-10%.

Thanks,
∞

Forum Links
Forum Rules