Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Best Buy, other retailers delaying iPhone 5 preorders

Best Buy, other retailers delaying iPhone 5 preorders
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 21, 2012, 09:26 AM

Best Buy, Walmart, and Sam's Club are delaying sales of iPhone 5 preorders to some customers, MacRumors notes. One person says that they received an email from Best Buy warning him that he wouldn't have his phone today, and that it might take up to 28 days before it's in stock. The person claims moreover that he was the first person to preorder a black 64GB model at his location, and that all of his friends got the same email.

Several people are complaining that Walmart stores also haven't received their iPhone 5 stock. When asked, workers at the stores either said to check back later on Friday, or that they had no idea when shipments might be coming in. Sam's Club -- the warehouse chain owned by Walmart -- is informing customers that preordered iPhones will arrive "approximately 7 to 10 business days from the original September 21 release date." Both Best Buy and Sam's Club are blaming a lack of shipments from Apple. During an iPhone launch Apple typically reserves most units for its own stores, leaving smaller amounts for carriers and third-party retailers. The company appears to be having an especially hard time satisfying demand with the iPhone 5 however, and may be deprioritizing partner retailers.

Jayhorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2012, 10:42 AM

I guess pre-ordering from a less tech heavy area helps. I ordered my Black 64 AT&T iPhone 5 at 3:30 p.m. from Best Buy on the first day of pre-orders, and I'm scheduled to pick mine up today at 5:00 p.m.

romkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2012, 10:46 AM

I have my black 64GB Verizon iPhone 5 in hand, picked it up at Best Buy earlier today. They were particularly civilized about it and made an appointment with me for picking it up and activating it. Everything went very smoothly.

Keep in mind that these stores have no control over the stock that's delivered to them. Best Buy was very clear when I pre-ordered that they couldn't make any promises about when the phone would actually be in stock, which I already knew.

I did over-hear that my local store received about 100 units and filled about 36 pre-orders. I don't know how many pre-orders they were unable to fill because they didn't get the right stock for them.

I'm not the biggest fan of Best Buy in general but my local store did a great job with this one.

Mechanic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2012, 03:17 PM

I pre ordered an iPhone 4s from Worst Buy last year it is the last time I will ever do that. I will never after that experience with them buy a cell phone again from them.
I received it 6 weeks after they became available and i preordered it on the first day of preordering and was the 1st one in line for the 64 gig model.

Advise to anyone buying from best buy DONT! Get it from apple.

Deezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2012, 06:04 AM

What's odd is that my son was in Best Buy picking up a phone, and the guy next to him in line was buying an iPhone 5 off the shelf! Best Buy is consciously choosing to irritate their mail order customers to bring in more store traffic.

scifivision
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2012, 10:39 AM

What states are you in? I'm curious which Best Buys have them, because none around me do.

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules