Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > migrating from a G4 Mini to an Intel iMac

migrating from a G4 Mini to an Intel iMac
doolally
Aug 28, 2006, 08:03 AM

Hey folks,

After a year with my mini I decided to fully upgrade and have ordered a shiny 20" iMac. I have a quick question about transferring my data over from the mini: do I just run the Migration Assistant and let it grab everything it wants to? Or do I need to get in and finesse the transfer, find the files by hand?

I want to copy over the usual stuff - my iTunes playlist, iCal, Address Book, Safari Bookmarks, etc.

advTHANKSance

dool
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 08:36 AM

Just use Migration Assistance.

Having had no experience with the app, I can't be certain, but from what I understand, you can choose wheather you want to transfer just your documents, or everything, including your apps.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2006, 08:58 AM

just use the migration assistant.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by doolally
advTHANKSance

dool
Nice

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2006, 09:04 AM

Get a Firewire cable if you don't have one already, and use the Migration Assistant. You might have to reinstall some of your applications (especially the "big" ones like Adobe's), but the rest will happen automatically.

doolally  (op)
Aug 28, 2006, 09:09 AM

Grand! Thanks for your insight, friendlies
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 09:15 AM

I used the migration assistant to move my info from a G5 PowerMac to a Mac Pro. Everything, and I mean everything was moved over. All the apps that are sensitive to manual moves ( Creative Suite, Macromedia Studio, etc) worked flawlessly. If you have a large amount of stuff in iPhoto or iTunes be prepared to go chillax somewhere else while the progress bar inches along.

doolally  (op)
Sep 15, 2006, 03:32 PM

Hi friendlies,

Welll, my gorgeous new iMac is here and it's like the Monolith: we keep approaching it slowly to touch it, and then backing away, awestruck

The migration went almost flawlessly, the only issue I have (and the reason I'm back to appeal to you all) is, for some reason, it won't copy all of my iTunes library to my iPod. About 95% was copied and syncs no problem, but it has left 122 songs out of it's update. Here's the error I get:

"Some of the items in the iTunes library were not copied to this iPod because you are not authorised to play them on this computer."

It looks like most of the affected music was purchased via iTunes, but I really did buy it from iTunes: all the music on there is either stuff I've copied from CDs I own, or tracks bought from the iTunes store.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue, or a way to resolve it?

Regards and many thanks.

dool
--
www.thecrookedcrow.com

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by doolally
Hi friendlies,

Welll, my gorgeous new iMac is here and it's like the Monolith: we keep approaching it slowly to touch it, and then backing away, awestruck

The migration went almost flawlessly, the only issue I have (and the reason I'm back to appeal to you all) is, for some reason, it won't copy all of my iTunes library to my iPod. About 95% was copied and syncs no problem, but it has left 122 songs out of it's update. Here's the error I get:

"Some of the items in the iTunes library were not copied to this iPod because you are not authorised to play them on this computer."

It looks like most of the affected music was purchased via iTunes, but I really did buy it from iTunes: all the music on there is either stuff I've copied from CDs I own, or tracks bought from the iTunes store.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue, or a way to resolve it?

Regards and many thanks.

dool
Go into iTunes and authorize the new computer to play those songs and it will then be able to transfer them.

doolally  (op)
Sep 15, 2006, 04:06 PM

Ahh, grand! Thanks muchly
--
www.thecrookedcrow.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules