Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp - Wn 7 Install Hangs

Boot Camp - Wn 7 Install Hangs
doolally
Aug 28, 2010, 11:27 AM

Hi friendlies,

I've scanned the forums and not found an answer to my specific problem.

I'm trying to install a legit copy of Win 7 to a 115GB Boot Camp partition. I first had an issue with creating the partition, but booted into my Snow Leopard install disk and, after repairing permissions and the disk, was able to proceed with the partition.

The Win 7 intall seems to go fine until it gets to the 'Completing Installation' section: the moment when it needs to reboot. It tries to reboot but just hangs. It sits there with a blank screen until I give up and do a soft reset. Then it tries to continue the Win 7 install, tells me it wasn't shut down properly and I choose 'Restart Windows Normally'. I get a 'Starting Windows' splash screen, with the little window animation, then it hangs again and I'm stuck in that loop.

advTHANKSance for any counsel you can provide.

dool
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2010, 11:54 AM

But your Mac partition is still functional, right?

Cold Warrior
Aug 28, 2010, 08:58 PM

I'd use boot camp utility to return your mac to a single partition, then run it again to redo your boot camp setup.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I'd use boot camp utility to return your mac to a single partition, then run it again to redo your boot camp setup.
...as long as the Mac partition is indeed still working. If that's glitchy, then it would be VERY important to hold off on doing anything about Windows until OS X was running smoothly. After that, I wholeheartedly agree that restoring the drive to a single partition with the Boot Camp Utility (and no other tool!!!) is the way to go.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

doolally  (op)
Aug 29, 2010, 11:08 AM

Well, I wiped my HDD, formatted, and reinstalled from my Time Machine backup and the Win 7 install is still hanging. As I write this I've been waiting 10+ minutes for it to reboot. Might it take longer? Should I go do something else for half an hour? It doesn't sound like the HDD or disc are doing anything.

Over on the Apple Support forums I did find this possible solution:

>>go to safe mode windows 7 and install nvidia drivers that you can find on "laptop video 2 go" I recommend the 258.69 version that is the one i used. the 258.96 version has some kind of combatibility problem generally, don't use for now. I just did this and then it didn't stuck, it loged on normally. tell me if it works for you <<

Perhaps I'll give that a try before I give up.

...and, it won't let me boot into safe mode. It just puts me right back in the 'Starting Windows...' hang on reboot loop.

So, that's enough of that. I have better things to do with my morning.
( Last edited by doolally; Aug 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM. )
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

Cold Warrior
Aug 29, 2010, 11:35 AM

But you didn't use Boot Camp Assistant to reset your Mac to a single partition.

doolally  (op)
Aug 29, 2010, 12:08 PM

But you didn't use Boot Camp Assistant to reset your Mac to a single partition.
Boot Camp wouldn't let me modify the partition, that's why I booted to my install disk and completely wiped the HDD before doing a fresh OS X install and then Time Machine, and then Boot Camp partition and then back in that hanging loop.
--
www.thecrookedcrow.com

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 29, 2010, 12:44 PM

How clean is that Win7 disc? With XP, the optical drive driver was so primitive that it did absolutely no useful error correction and in some cases a fingerprint would kill an install. Bail out of the install and clean the DVD really, really well and try again.

doolally  (op)
Aug 29, 2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
How clean is that Win7 disc? With XP, the optical drive driver was so primitive that it did absolutely no useful error correction and in some cases a fingerprint would kill an install. Bail out of the install and clean the DVD really, really well and try again.
It is a brand new disc, purchased new, sealed, and opened for this installation.
--
www.thecrookedcrow.com

Cold Warrior
Aug 29, 2010, 03:09 PM

When you wiped your drive, did you use Disk Utility to create the windows partition, or, from a single partition, were you able to use Boot Camp Assistant to create the windows partition?

doolally  (op)
Aug 29, 2010, 04:25 PM

When you wiped your drive, did you use Disk Utility to create the windows partition, or, from a single partition, were you able to use Boot Camp Assistant to create the windows partition?
Once I wiped the drive and reinstalled I was able to use Boot Camp as normal. I followed these instructions. Everything goes fine until it tries to reboot.

EDIT: To check the Windows disk, I did a Parallels install and it works fine.

2nd EDIT: I found an Apple release that provides a driver fix:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

I'll try that a report back.
( Last edited by doolally; Aug 30, 2010 at 06:43 AM. )
--
www.thecrookedcrow.com

doolally  (op)
Aug 30, 2010, 09:05 PM

Okay, so that Apple fix I linked to in my last post did the trick. It seems this particular issue is specific to the iMac (27-inch, Late 2009, my model) and iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010).

Thanks all for trying to help out.
--
www.thecrookedcrow.com

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 30, 2010, 09:35 PM

Good to hear that you found a resolution. I wonder what it is about the hardware in the particular iMac you have that isn't supported by the Win7 installer... But at least you have a fix.

rickber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2011, 09:40 PM

I had a similar problem, but on a Mac Pro. The solution turned out to require the following:

1. Put disk where Windows BootCamp partition will be in slot 1. MacOS disk can be elsewhere without interfering with MacOS bootup.

2. Format partition using BootCamp

3. Use Windows 7 to install to this partition. It will choke because BootCamp formats as FAT not NTFS, but selecting "options" then "Format" fixes this problem and lets you continue.

4. Make sure ALL your USB devices are unplugged, except for keyboard and mouse. The hangup seems to be on installation of USB drivers -- which is deferred if you only have keyboard and mouse.

With this, I finally got my SSD up and running as the new C: for Windows 7

hellmut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2011, 03:56 AM

Doolally,

briliant point with USB devices. Mine was hanging even with mouce connected. There is somewhere written that installation works only with branded mouses and kayboards. Mine was niname

Hellmut

Forum Links
Forum Rules