Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My password is not workin i can login but i cant get anything else

My password is not workin i can login but i cant get anything else
gleshka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2011, 03:07 PM

hello suddenly my passwork it seems like broke i login in the account no problem and when i want to get updates or download a new program and require my password not let me do it says type the administrator user name and password is like not recognized what im typing... whats going on??? i change password and it let me do but when i go to perform something requires my password again no let me do what should i do please help!!!!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2011, 03:45 PM

Is there more than one account set?. It seems likely to me yours is not the Administrator account. You can reset the password from the OS X Install DVD disc.

Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password

gleshka  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2011, 04:01 PM

i have 2 accounts... and i have both passwords and not working on both accounts it says type username administrator's and password and i do and no works is like its not reading what im typing but let me log in no problem...

i did that and require to type my username and password and says type teh administrator's user name and password in order to do that....?? i did!! and no doesn't read it
( Last edited by gleshka; Jan 25, 2011 at 04:07 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2011, 04:51 PM

Try resetting your Keychain.

Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access

From the Keychain Access menu, select Preferences, then click on the button to reset your default keychain.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

P
Jan 25, 2011, 05:57 PM

Go to System Preferences and check that your keyboard config hasn't changed.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Is there more than one account set?. It seems likely to me yours is not the Administrator account. You can reset the password from the OS X Install DVD disc.

Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password
A simple way to check if this is the problem or not:

When it asks you for the Admininstrator’s password, is the user name already filled in (with your user name), or is it blank?

If it’s blank, that means your user is not an administrator, and you have to type in both the user name and the password for the account that is; if it’s filled out, then your user is an administrator, so the problem lies elsewhere (like where olePigeon and P suggested).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Go to System Preferences and check that your keyboard config hasn't changed.
Oh, check that one. It's possible you're using a different language keyboard layout after you login.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

gleshka  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2011, 08:24 PM

yes everytime i try to open an installation wizard or wtv else needs the authentication password the indow came up blank in user name and password... i check the keyboard and seems like is ok but still cant read what im typing
i ahve 2 users in the computer and both having the same issue

gleshka  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2011, 08:27 PM

Im sorry if i look a lil slow on this... but how i check if the language keyboard changed?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2011, 09:40 PM

If you go to System Preferences > Keyboard, make sure the "Show Keyboard and Character viewer in menubar" option is checked. You should have a little flag in your menu bar. If you click on that flag, it will open a menu that shows what your current keyboard language is (it's checked), and what other language options you have selected as available. For you, the flag should be a U.S. flag with "U.S." right after it. NOT "U.S. Extended," which has some differences that could mess up your password entry text.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gleshka  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2011, 05:48 AM

first i want to Thanks everybody for such a nice support... i tried the keychain access reset...no works... i checked the language and no works... what it could be i dont want to loose my info resetting passwords becuz i have 2 accounts in the computer and to be honest i cant afford apple store fixing it im sure u guys knows something else to try to fix this mess ... please and thanku very very much for the kindness

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by gleshka View Post
yes everytime i try to open an installation wizard or wtv else needs the authentication password the indow came up blank in user name and password... i check the keyboard and seems like is ok but still cant read what im typing
i ahve 2 users in the computer and both having the same issue
Right, this means that your user is NOT an administrator of the computer, and therefore doesn’t have the necessary permissions to install things and change system settings (etc.).

Go to System Preferences -> Accounts (or is it called Users in English?). On the left there, there’s a list of users on the computer. Underneath each user name, it tells you what kind of user account the user has: standard, admin, controlled, share-only (not sure about the proper terms in English here).

If there is a user that says “Admin” underneath it, then that’s the user whose user name and password you need to type into the authentication pop-up when you need to install or change things. (Please note: even if your user were an admin account, you’d still have to authenticate these actions—you just wouldn’t have to type in both user name and password: your user name would be filled out already, and you could use your own password)

If there are only the two users you talk about in the list in the Accounts section, and neither of them says “Admin” underneath it … then something is quite wrong on your computer, ’cause OS X is always supposed to have at least one admin account. I’ll leave troubleshooting that (if it is indeed the case) to those who really know what they’re doing.

gleshka  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2011, 10:45 AM

Hello Oisin yes here are only the two users in the list in the Accounts section, and neither of them says “Admin” underneath ... i think u find the problem Thanks everybody for helping me to find the answer but now how bad it is?? not having an admin?? what i should do? please thanks again!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2011, 03:07 PM

Boot into single user mode by holding down cmd-s at startup.
At the prompt type the following:
rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone
(you may have to type yes to get past a prompt)
type exit

The computer should reboot, the setup assistant should run allowing you to create a brand new admin user. Use the new user to fix the old users.

512ke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2011, 10:45 PM

Interesting problem with the passwords. Hope it will resolve.

this is not meant to be a flippant comment, Ive always wondered, why do so many folks feel they need a password? I always figured if its my computer why ask myself for a password. Who am I trying to keep out of the computer on my own desk in my own home.

Perhaps if I were trying to protect proprietary info at work> But still, most of us could slide by that easy enough anyway.Family members having their own access privileges according to age and need?

P
Feb 4, 2011, 04:47 AM

That password is also used for network access. While OS X ships with all such network services disabled, they are easy enough to enable. The password also serves as another layer of protection from running applications with root access.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
Interesting problem with the passwords. Hope it will resolve.

this is not meant to be a flippant comment, Ive always wondered, why do so many folks feel they need a password? I always figured if its my computer why ask myself for a password. Who am I trying to keep out of the computer on my own desk in my own home.
The 2 billion people you are inviting onto your own desk in your own home each and every single time you connect to the internet.

More than a small handful of them are interested in using your computer to do things that might not be in your best interest.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 5, 2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
It's also psychological: asking for a password even when you are an admin tells you "This is something invasive". So while it is normal and expected for a password to be requested when performing an administrative function, like installing software or changing system settings, being asked for one while browsing the Web raises a huge red flag.

Asking for a password is a core element of Mac OS X's resistance to drive-by (surreptitious) software installs while browsing, from viruses, etc. Win XP didn't ask, so stuff could just install itself uninvited and without the user knowing. (Vista and Win 7 now require a confirmation, but by default no password.)

And of course, as others have said, it keeps others out if your system has server services running.

Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2011, 10:34 PM

If your acct is admin you can reset the main acct pass in sys prefs > accounts

Then Just go to user > library > keychain and trash it. You can also go to Hard drive > library > keychain and trash what's in there.

Restart. Boom you're done.
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

Forum Links
Forum Rules