Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacNN Dark Confession Series 04: DRUGS

MacNN Dark Confession Series 04: DRUGS
design219
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 08:49 PM

Pot is all for me, and that was just in college. Weird thing though, it never did give me a buzz. Don't know if I'm immune, or just never got good pot. Wine and beer do a better job.

I'm just a bit afraid of man-made drugs, but natural ones interest me. I might be open to trying mushrooms sometime. I'm not at all sure how to go about acquiring some.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 16, 2008, 08:59 PM

Wine, wimmens and songies.
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 09:18 PM

design219: how about markers, glue, and gasoline?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 09:36 PM

I wake to the drone of an airplane engine and the feeling of something warm dripping down my chin.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
design219: how about markers, glue, and gasoline?
Yeah, these work. Or so I've heard. Fess up Besson.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2008, 10:01 PM

Listed in chronological order of first time.

•Sugar - as a child
•Caffeine - daily addict!
•Alcohol - duh
•Pot/Hash - cut down quite a bit in recent years, still enjoy the occasional smoke, prefer Beer nowadays.
•Adderral - First night I tried it I took 5 full dose (30mg) pills and didn't sleep for 4 days. Haven't touched it in 5 years, speed is no good.
•Vicodyn - Same night, ugh.
•Nicotene - Still crave cigs when I'm drinking, smoked the most several years ago but I try my best to limit myself to weekends now.
•Psilocybin (shrooms) - 4 times, enjoyed myself most the last time, decided I was all set.
•Cocaine - Once while visiting Miami 5 years ago. Dealt with the most unsavory characters and came down in 15 minutes. Never felt the need to try a second time.
•Salvia - Probably about ten times spread throughout the year a few years ago. Got the extract from my friend who called me from Bonnaro and asked if I wanted any drugs. Pretty intense, terrible for your brain. Once it ran out I was done forever.
•Colonapins - Apparently they use these for patients suffering from seizures, among other things. Lost all balance like I was incredibly drunk. One time one night at a bonfire, somebody offered and I decided to give it a whirl.
•Percocet - Had 4 titanium screws inserted into my right elbow last December, ate em like tic-tacs for weeks. Built up a massive tolerance, made me constipated and killed my appetite....luckily something was able to bring it back

I think that's it. I must say typing this list out make me take a step back and think that the NNers here are going to see me as some kind of drug-crazed maniac foaming at the mouth as a type this. I've tried my fair share, yes, but most of the drugs on this list were a curious fling, at best. I've always had the best self-control of any of my friends, even the ones that didn't do anything besides booze. These days I've been working hard and having a frosty beer when I get home. Weekends I might light a joint with some friends and smoke cigs like a chimney out at the bar, but that's it.

I still get offered all sorts of things, but I pass. I'm more interested in my girlfriend, my job, and getting a place of my own than getting f**ked up all the time. My family is riddled with sob stories of drug addicts and alcoholics and I've always made sure to remind myself of the mistakes that others have made.

That said, some fun times, fun...blurry times.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2008, 10:02 PM

Alcohol experimentation at 18—back when that was legal age. That's it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
I wake to the drone of an airplane engine and the feeling of something warm dripping down my chin.
Tell them about the crack whore. And the bus station bathroom.

(I ain't admitting anything, other than that I wouldn't have to make up crap like James Frey, if I were to admit anything. Which I ain't.)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 10:34 PM

Just sugar, caffeine, and alcohol for me.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2008, 10:53 PM

Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marihuana, ecstasy and alcohol.

C-c-c-cocaine!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 11:41 PM

Tons and tons of pot, LSD, mini-thins (ephedrine), alcohol...

But those days are way behind me.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 11:46 PM

Can you guys describe your experiences for those of us that have never done any of the drugs you have?

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jul 16, 2008, 11:56 PM

in chronological order:

- Caffeine
- THC (pot)
- Alchohol
- LSD (blotter)
- Tobacco
- Methamphetamine, (crystal meth. Worst drug ever...)
- Cocaine (powdered, not crack)
- Opium (Tar. It made my body feel like jelly)
- LSD (Gel)
- Oxycontin (Popped and snorted. Don't even try to get an erection)
- MDMA (Blue rhinos. Taken with LSD, cocaine and copius amounts of ganja... Best feeling in the world)
- Psilocybin (Shroom bars: chocolate. Couldn't even taste the cubies)
- Fentanyl ("lolli-pop" form. It made me sleepy, and I found urination close to impossible.)
- Heroin ("brown sugar" snorted not injected. Made me incredibly tired, and unmotivated to do anything but lay on the floor for a good four hours. Massive headache upon coming down)

I consider my use strictly recreational, and almost always in social situations with my friends who lead less than exemplary lives. I pride myself on the fact that I've never turned any of these rare indulgences into habbits. I have only to look at my friends to see where that can lead.
are you lightfooted?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 17, 2008, 12:12 AM

Alcohol, occasionally. That's it. Never a cigarette, joint, snort, and I haven't had a prescription med in years. I drink less than two caffeinated drinks per week on average. I stay away from sweets for the most part. Like every other Dark Confession installment, I've bored everyone.

lexapro
Baninated
Jul 17, 2008, 12:17 AM

Elephants.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 12:20 AM

Caffeine, still.

Alcohol, on occasion now but nothing heavy.

In the past:

Pot, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
Cocaine, powdered. Fun drug but too manic.
Ecstasy, fun but funner depending on the girl(s) with you on it.
Speed, didn't like at all.
Absinthe, while a booze, the two times I drank it were more drug-like than alcohol. Kinda like a mix of all the other ones.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 01:55 AM

Can you guys describe your experiences for those of us that have never done any of the drugs you have?
Which one haven't you done?

Nicotine - If you are not used to it, you can get a headrush. Makes you smell - long term it numbs your sense of taste and smell. Filthy drug. Abuse is normalised.

Pot/Hash - makes you woozy, unbalanced, giggly. Food tastes great and you get cravings aka. The Munchies. Good for relaxing.

Alcohol - Gets you drunk. Can make certain people aggressive. Crap drug with broad societal impact, but tastes delicious. Potential for abuse high.

Speed - Makes you awake and alert. Only tried once. Did not agree with me at all so I'm not a fan.

Cocaine - Only tried once. Made me bright and alert for about 15 minutes. Didn't impress me so I've never done it again. Muzzos (aggressive muscle types) love it.

Ecstasy - Probably the best drug - on a risk/reward scale - in the world if taken in moderation. Makes you happy, dancy, loving. It is a very controllable "high" - not at all like depressants like alcohol or marihuana. Really depends on the situation though. Best part of it is the seemingly built in safeguards against abuse: You can't take more to extend the high and effects diminish rapidly if you take it often. Instead of a hangover you get a "happy monday", you're in a great mood and feeling fresh the day after. The catch is of course that it's not a controlled substance, and it may affect your mood negatively in the following week. Long term effects have not been studied properly, but seem benign compared to other drugs where abuse is more rampant.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 03:51 AM

Alcohol (regularly but in moderation 4-5 drinks a week), Caffeine (regularly but in moderation, tea and coffee a few times a week), Nicotine (no longer, but moderate use at University and after) and once in my early 20's spent a lost weekend on Nutmeg. Got the notion from Malcom X's autobiograpy, wherein he talked about mixing it with water and drinking it in prison to get high. It's definatley mind altering, but not in a happy way. Totally messed me a friend up for 48 hours and the effects lasted, in a dminished form, for another 2 or 3 days. I would not reccomend it. Much like prison tattoos, only idiots do it on the outside. Like me.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 05:06 AM

I live in Berlin.

OreoCookie
Jul 17, 2008, 05:06 AM

Since my uncle ODed on drugs, I'm rather strict when it comes to drugs: caffeine is the only drug I consume on a daily basis. All other drugs I consume only in a social context (alcohol, very occasional cigarette). I like wine, whisky and beer just for the taste, so I usually don't get drunk on them.

Anything beyond pot (unless medically necessary) is taboo for me. I've seen people on speed and speed/cocaine. Didn't impress me too much, after they got down, they looked and felt like sh!t. I don't see the point. (The persons who took it were above all doctors, and according to their description speed gives you the energy of about two days, packs it into one evening, but then your body is burnt out.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2008, 05:27 AM

So … sugar counts?

Well, then I guess … sugar. That’s it.

I do have a sweet tooth the size of Uluru, though.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 05:42 AM

all i care about since my first experimentation is the smell of wrinkled, sweaty dollarbills after an exchange of sexual favours..
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

vexborg
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 07:32 AM

Still using:

Caffeine.
Nicotine (not smoking it, but using Swedish Snus - actually a great way to do, doesn't bother anybody and you can have a drink at the same time).
Alcohol - mostly beer, but not so I'm totally plastered.

Used while at university:

Caffeine.
Nicotine - smoked quite alot.
Alcohol - drunk myself senseless every weekend.
Pot/hash - smoked it when I could.
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2008, 07:36 AM

Cane Toad

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 17, 2008, 07:40 AM

Ok, in the spirit of full disclosure, I have to add that I AM a caffeine addict. A functional addict, but an addict none the less. No tobacco, no pot, nothing else like that, and no pills, drops, powders either. Just coffee and a bit of booze now and then.

OreoCookie
Jul 17, 2008, 07:45 AM

Glenn, you don't have a caffeine problem, you have a sleep management problem

I've been addicted to caffeine right around the time when I wrote my thesis. I drank about 1.5 l/day of strong coffee. Then I stopped and the effects lasted for a full week after I stopped!

Now, I'm a functional addict as well. But without my coffee in the morning, I'm not a member of the human species
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 17, 2008, 07:49 AM

The problem isn't with sleep management as much as with sleep discontinuance. Waking up is a slow process most days. And while I'm nominally a member of the human race on waking, I'm certainly not a nice member until I've at least started the caffeination process.

A liter and a half of coffee a day?!? I'm surprised your eyeballs were able to fix on anything with that much caffeine in your system. Wow! Most people don't realize how powerful a drug caffeine is, but give someone who isn't used to it a big slug of it and see what sorts of negative side effects they experience. It's simply amazing.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 07:51 AM

I haven't had a cigarette in 28 days. GODDAM I WANT A CIGARETTE!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
lsd - probably the best drug - on a risk/reward scale - in the world if taken in moderation. Makes you happy, dancy, loving. It is a very controllable "high" - not at all like depressants like alcohol or marihuana. Really depends on the situation though. Best part of it is the seemingly built in safeguards against abuse: You can't take more to extend the high and effects diminish rapidly if you take it often. Instead of a hangover you get a "happy monday", you're in a great mood and feeling fresh the day after. The catch is of course that it's not a controlled substance, and it may affect your mood negatively in the following week. Long term effects have not been studied properly, but seem benign compared to other drugs where abuse is more rampant.
ftfy

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 08:09 AM

Hard drugs make my tummy hurt.

Tiresias
Jul 17, 2008, 08:20 AM

Alcohol, nicotine, caffeine—all in regrettably large quantities.

Aside from pot, I've never done drugs. However, in high school—without access to alcohol or "real" drugs—it was very common for students to get together on the weekend and inhale butane, solvents, including correction fluid, fly spray, methylated spirits and petrol. Yeah, petrol.

WTF?

Solvents are pretty bad. But they are not the worst drug. That honor goes to Jenkem. And I defy you to prove me wrong!

Tiresias
Jul 17, 2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Solvents are pretty bad. But they are not the worst drug. That honor goes to Jenkem. And I defy you to prove me wrong!

What about inhaling cat pee?

Tiresias
Jul 17, 2008, 08:33 AM

^ Waaaay better than Jenkem.

(Do you even know what Jenkem is?)

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 08:42 AM

^ Waaaay better than Jenkem.

(Do you even know what Jenkem is?)

Yes. I was making a South Park reference.

It probably wasn't that funny to begin with, and you're not helping.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 09:01 AM

Do you even know what Jenkem is?
Ohhhhhh, that's some bad sh*t man.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 10:19 AM

Well hell, if we're counting caffeine and nicotine... I am a total caffeine junky and have struggled with nicotine dependance my entire life. I've been more or less a non-smoker for the last 8 years or so, but I frequently slip up and smoke in social situations... or just fall of the horse and smoke like crazy for a week.

A lot of it depends on what's going on at work, since I work with a lot of smokers.

As of right now, I have not smoked in months.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 10:34 AM

Is caffeine even classified as a drug?

In any event, caffeine and alcohol.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 10:44 AM

I used to be addicted to caffeine. I did about 6-10 cups of coffee a day. Then, about six years ago I had a little problem with an enlarged prostate. Doc said cut out the coffee, and it straightened right up.

And just FYI, one thing the doc said is helpful for an enlarged prostate is sex.
I think that helped more than anything.

Tiresias
Jul 17, 2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
And just FYI, one thing the doc said is helpful for an enlarged prostate is sex.
I think that helped more than anything.
That makes sense, somehow.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 11:28 AM

Just pot, once in a blue moon booze. In high school... schrooms. Acid once 15 years ago but I didn't care for it.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
ftfy
Agreed, though the controllability can be debated. Take with some ex, and your guaranteed a happy trip (not to mention intensified flavors from textures/colours/light/sounds). Groovy man!
are you lightfooted?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 12:25 PM

I answer with the only drug I have listed that no-one else has, Salvia.

Readily available plant, but to get the full effect you'd need to smoke copious amounts of dried leaves. The pure extract is much harder to find, in fact, I'd probably be unable to find it if I wanted while Coke/Heroin/Speed is readily available.

Basically you smoke it like weed, but must faster and take the biggest hits you can. After a few seconds you realize your center of gravity is vanished leaving what can only be described as a twisting force exerted on your very being. Mild closed-eye visuals, best while listening to music in the dark.

If you are sitting down imagine a 'bar' at your lower back that is the center of gravity, twisting you backwards and inwards at the same time. Sometimes you lift your arms and legs but don't realize it as if they were weightless and floating. Really hard to describe.

Certainly a very bizarre feeling that wears off completely in 15-20 minutes leaving only a mild 'high' afterwards. After the first few times I decided to read up more about Salvia and found out it was absolutely awful for your brain, but I still had some left so my last time was a marathon session that left me completely out of my mind for 20 minutes.

The only thing I have to say about real hallucinogenics is that the feeling is impossible to describe and you can only understand it while you're on it.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 12:28 PM

All you dirty hippies in here remind me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLs0jv_Efk

I'm particularly amused by this comment for some reason:

This brings back so many memories. I remember having a massive crush on Fay Lucas. Im a homo now so id rather Zammo these days.
I'm also nearly crying with laughter at how stylish early 80's mainstream/pop was.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 17, 2008, 12:34 PM

just alcohol. Outrageous doses in my teen years and 20s. Toned it down in my 30s. Stopped around at 35 "just because". Never considered myself addicted. MY brother and father are. They are a$$hole drunks whereas I am a laid-back drunk.

Did the OP really intend caffeine to be listed? It is not really a "drug", but it is addicting. If so, yes, a few cups a day since I was ~20. Mild addiction, I have a headache for a few hours if I miss my midmorning dosages.

Not to say I wasn't exposed, one of my best friends in high school was an acid dealer. I worked at a record store for 2 years in Flint, Michigan. Worked for General Motors in various factories for 11 years. I was just always satisfied with alcohol.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I answer with the only drug I have listed that no-one else has, Salvia.

Readily available plant, but to get the full effect you'd need to smoke copious amounts of dried leaves. The pure extract is much harder to find, in fact, I'd probably be unable to find it if I wanted while Coke/Heroin/Speed is readily available.
http://www.shivaheadshop.co.uk/shop/...tract_45x.html
http://www.shivaheadshop.co.uk/shop/...x__333mg_.html

Good luck with customs.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 12:48 PM

Heh, yeah I could always order it if I was so inclined (I'm not) but getting it on the street is next to impossible....probably because most people have never heard of it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 01:02 PM

...two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers.....also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls...

well, everything except the ether, for there is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 01:11 PM

I used to be a "drug" dealer once.

Used to frequent a particular rock pub (no longer in existence) on a Saturday afternoon. One day, a couple of newbie scrotes came up to myself and a friend and asked if we knew where they could buy acid. "Yes, just give me half an hour and I'll go get some", came the answer. Quick nip up to the stationary store for some blotting paper, and ta da, instant "acid" (what're they gonna do? phone the Trading Standards Office?). Paid for a couple of beers nicely.
A week later, the guys turned up and wanted more. We duly obliged. Nice little earner for about six months. Sold 'em some grass (actual grass picked off some nearby common land and dried out) too.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 01:34 PM

Doof, you should have posted that story here: macnn-dark-confession-series-02-CRIME

Forum Links
Forum Rules