Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best way to organize photos in OSx?

Best way to organize photos in OSx?
Swervage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2014, 07:02 AM

I have many many folders in my pictures folder and was going to use iPhoto to organize but realized that when I import, it creates a second photo in the library. So I don't think this is optimal. Is it best to import and then delete original? Or is keeping my current file system better? It's just harder I browse and manage without some software. Ultimately I want it to be easy to sync with my iOS devices so everything is kept up to date, backed up, etc.

Can anyone please share some best practices?

P
Sep 22, 2014, 06:22 PM

Make a backup and then let iPhoto import everything and let it do its thing. Less pain in the long run.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2014, 01:36 AM

I agree that iPhoto is probably the nicest option at current, and the path of making a backup of your current structure and then importing that entirely into iPhoto is the best one.

I would probably not invest too much work into actually *organizing* within iPhoto at this point, though (keywords, faces, etc.), since iPhoto is being discontinued and will be replaced by a new "Photos" app sometime early next year.
There will obviously be a seamless path to migrate from iPhoto to the new app, but nothing is known about how that handles tagging, face recognition, keywords, and albums. For all we know, it might be MUCH nicer to do that work after the redesign.

donaldkepler
Oct 21, 2014, 03:11 AM

Once you import all the images from iPhoto then one another good thing can be done. Take all iPhoto library to an external drive. Connect the drive with Mac machine and open 'home' folder and click on Pictures folder. Find the iPhoto Library package, and click to select it completely. Press a combination of Cut+Paste from Edit menu to proceed.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2014, 03:23 AM

There is no "Cut" command for files in the Finder.

Also, to select the new library location in iPhoto, you need to open iPhoto while holding the Option key.

Forum Links
Forum Rules