Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Adding a HD - transferring the OS???

Adding a HD - transferring the OS???
mindspray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2008, 07:23 PM

My original Maxtor 160 Gb HD is filling up, I’m considering adding a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB to my Mac - G5 Dual 2.0 Ghz.
The Barracuda is much faster and I would like to run it as my main disk, formatting the old one and use it for files and backups. I don’t have an external HD to backup my files, so the million-dollar question is how do I transfer the OS and the software to the new disk without risking loosing any data. Does anybody know how to go about this or any links for to the subject. Thanks in advance, mindspray

Crimson
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2008, 11:50 AM

Carbon Copy Cloner would be the key - Bombich.com That's how I did it with my setup There are others too, try searching MacUpdate or VersionTracker
( Last edited by Crimson; Mar 5, 2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clean some urls, no need to use full title...)

mindspray  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2008, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the tip, I also got SuperDuper recommended at another Board - and will try one or the other.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2008, 04:16 PM

They are both functionally the same - different front ends for the same unix utility. Both will do what you want.

dave49er
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2008, 09:40 PM

I always use Carbon Copy Cloner, both to transfer my OS to another drive, and to make bootable backups on FW drives. It works like a charm, and it's free.

Crimson
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2008, 01:29 PM

I just tried SD to make an ASR-ready image of my boot disk just incase I want to check leopard out... If I'm not satisfied, I can restore my current working setup

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2008, 01:07 PM

Why is this in the Mac Modification forum?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Christopera
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2008, 06:21 PM

Can't you copy your disc to a new disc using OS X? I don't know the steps but would like to as I have a 250Gb drive that is supposed to be here Thursday.

P.S. define Mac Modification.

vargavision
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by mindspray View Post
My original Maxtor 160 Gb HD is filling up, I’m considering adding a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB to my Mac - G5 Dual 2.0 Ghz.
The Barracuda is much faster and I would like to run it as my main disk, formatting the old one and use it for files and backups. I don’t have an external HD to backup my files, so the million-dollar question is how do I transfer the OS and the software to the new disk without risking loosing any data. Does anybody know how to go about this or any links for to the subject. Thanks in advance, mindspray
I just bought it the other day and it works great! But nothing beats having your system maxed out with RAM. It's a nice compliment to the Seagate. It would be wise for you to have an external drive and have Time Machine to back-up your files. That way, you won't have to get any third-party programs for your needs. Like I said, the only expense (and wise investment) is to get your hands on an external drive, should the need arise for you to do this again.

Crimson
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2008, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Christopera View Post
P.S. define Mac Modification.
Mods to interior (hardware, cooling) or exterior (case mods). These include cooling solutions varying from air intakes to blowholes to water cooling, lighting etc. Anything that will void the warranty on new mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules