Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Partition Hell

Partition Hell
Sachmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2009, 02:07 PM

I was running tiger, partitioned my harddrive and installed leopard on it, then deleted the partition with tiger on it, but now i cant make leopard into the whole disk! in disk utility it shows a ton of free space on top of leopards disk and wont let me merge, delete or anything. ive been all over looking for solutions for this but i still cant get it. Do i have to use the boot disk to do this or is there any other way? I even installed applications like ipartition and it was acting like they both were boot disks saying that they couldnt be messed with. please help

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2009, 02:40 PM

Why didn't you just do an upgrade install? As far as I know you'll need to completely reformat the drive to have it become 1 partition.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2009, 03:15 PM

get ipartition to do what you want, or just reinstall the OS and repartition the drive in the process.
~Mike

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2009, 04:29 PM

1) clone to another drive with Disk Utility > Restore (select erase destination)
2) format the drive, chose only one partition
3) use Disk Utility > Restore to clone back to the internal drive
4) next time don't partition and save yourself this kind of pain

Forum Links
Forum Rules