Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying a New Laptop

Buying a New Laptop
Masters2010
Aug 25, 2009, 08:52 PM

Hi everyone, I am buying a new computer and just wanted to get some input before I made the purchase.

I am a college student currently using a 2ghz 15inch aluminum MBP. The applecare warranty has expired and I have had the computer for over three years. I am looking to sell this on ebay and purchase a new computer.

My options:

Refurbished MBP 13.3 inch 2.53ghz model ----- $1,299

New MBP 13.3 inch 2.53ghz model with free iPod touch ---- $1,399

Other?

I feel like it's best just to spend the extra $100 to get a brand new computer + the iPod touch that I can sell. Does everyone agree?

Also, what do you recommend regarding insurance? I have always purchased applecare in the past but I am looking at safeware as an option. Safeware will be about $270 and applecare on ebay is about $125. I could probably buy both but do you think it's just best to get one? I am pretty good with my computers but accidents happen...

Thanks!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 03:52 AM

Are you looking at EDU pricing? From what I can tell the refurb is $1299 (like you said), but the new 2.53 GHz 13" MBP is $1499.

You will definitely be able to sell the iPod touch for more than $100 so buying the new MBP for $1399 (if that's the price you can get it for) with the iPod should be the better deal.

You don't have to decide on AppleCare now. For portable Macs and people on a tight budget (IOW you can't just go out and buy a new MBP should yours break down after 14 months) I feel it's usually a good deal. Especially if you can buy it for $125. But why don't you get your new Mac first, wait for your savings to recover, and then make an informed decision. As long as you get AC before the regular warranty (12 months) runs out you'll be fine.

Masters2010  (op)
Aug 26, 2009, 06:35 PM

Yes, I was looking at EDU pricing. I think I'll pick up the 13" with free ipod in the next couple days after snow leopard is released.

If I don't want to purchase my programs such as office again:
Should I have them transfer the stuff to the new computer at the Apple store or can I simply drag the programs I need to an external then put them on the new computer from there?

Thanks!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2009, 02:37 AM

The easiest way is to use Migration Assistant. After you get your new Mac and it finishes installing the OS, it will ask you if you want to migrate from a previous Mac. You connect the two through FireWire and Migration Assistant will restore your previous Mac's disk contents onto the new Mac. You can chose what exactly shall be migrated: network settings, apps, user accounts, preferences, etc.

As a rule of thumb: apps that you "installed" by dragging to your HD (from a disk image or CD for example) can usually be copied over in the Finder. Apps that required a real installer will likely need to be re-installed with that installer. Unless of course you use Migration Assistant or make a clone (/Applications/Utilities/DiskUtility > Restore).

Rumor
Aug 27, 2009, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The easiest way is to use Migration Assistant. After you get your new Mac and it finishes installing the OS, it will ask you if you want to migrate from a previous Mac. You connect the two through FireWire and Migration Assistant will restore your previous Mac's disk contents onto the new Mac. You can chose what exactly shall be migrated: network settings, apps, user accounts, preferences, etc.

As a rule of thumb: apps that you "installed" by dragging to your HD (from a disk image or CD for example) can usually be copied over in the Finder. Apps that required a real installer will likely need to be re-installed with that installer. Unless of course you use Migration Assistant or make a clone (/Applications/Utilities/DiskUtility > Restore).
Sorry to derail, but I have two questions:

1) Does transferring with a Cat5 have the same functionality as FireWire?

2) Are you saying that apps can be dragged from Finder on one laptop to another?

I ask because I attempted to transfer from my old MBP to my new one and it kept timing out. However, the only thing I want to keep are a few apps that are on the old one that I do not have the cd/dvd for anymore, or the original download file (like Crossover Pro from the promo about a year ago).
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2009, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
1) Does transferring with a Cat5 have the same functionality as FireWire?
Yes. Cat5 should even be a tad faster than FW800.

2) Are you saying that apps can be dragged from Finder on one laptop to another?
Sure. Provided that the app doesn't need to be installed with a proper installer. The easiest is you just try to do it. If the app doesn't work you know you missed something. Check places like /Library/ApplicationSupport and ~/Library/ApplicationSupport. Of course there are unfortunately a few apps that simply can't be copied like that. But there's nothing wrong with at least trying. You won't break anything by copying an app to a new Mac.

OreoCookie
Aug 27, 2009, 05:37 AM

In principle, yes, you should be able to. For data, it doesn't matter if it is transferred via FireWire, Ethernet or carrier pigeon. Time outs suggest there was a problem with the connection.

I'd probably try to restore from a Time Machine backup if I were you, though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Masters2010  (op)
Aug 27, 2009, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. Do you think it's worthwhile to upgrade to the 320gb harddrive in the 13"? I am currently maxing out a 100gb harddrive but I also have 300gb of movies and such on an external. On one hand I figure it will be hard to fill 250gb when I have an external hd but it also might just be a good idea to get the bigger hd now.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2009, 03:51 AM

The BTO upgrade at Apple costs $50.

Keep in kind that you can buy a decent 320 GB drive for $60 ($50 after MIR) and a very fast 320 GB drive for $80 elsewhere.

Since installing the drive in the MBP is so easy I see no reason why you'd be forced to get it now as BTO. I think if I were you I'd get the stock drive and then if you see you need more space get an inexpensive HD and install it yourself. It's really a cinch.

Masters2010  (op)
Aug 28, 2009, 11:53 PM

I purchased the computer today the apple store, thanks for the input everyone. I got my files moved over with migration assistant via ethernet though not everything made it over, the rest I can just use the external for.

Forum Links
Forum Rules