Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB Malfunction

USB Malfunction
Sickofwaiting
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2004, 10:43 PM

I have a 15" AluPB, 1.25 GHz G4, with 1GB Ram, running 10.3.7, and I noticed today when I plugged in my printer and tried to print it said communication error, so I checked the cables at both ends and no problem. So I tried again, same message. I plugged the cord into the other USB port and the printer worked fine. I tried plugging a USB mouse into the missbehaving port and nothing! Is there any way to resurect this port? I ran apple's hardware test and it says everything is fine with the USB, I even ran TechTool Pro and it says USB is fine. So why doesnt my port work? Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
waiting this long for a new 15 will drive
anyone insane

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2004, 03:30 AM

Do you still have apple care/warranty on the macine. I would take it to an apple store ASAP. I doubt it's a software issue, probably your USB port went bunk... As far as I know, if something is broken internally... the whole logic board requires replacement...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 06:32 AM

Have you tried running Disk Utility?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2004, 06:34 AM

Restart?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Restart?
Is there any other way to run the Apple HW test?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 01:01 PM

Look inside the port to see if there are any visual differences between the working one and the broken one. It's probably a bent plate or loose connection that keeps the USB devices from properly contacting the logic board.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2004, 01:56 PM

Is it the port on the right hand side? If so, it should be repaired pretty quickly by any Apple Repair center, as that particular port sits on a small PCB, instead of being mounted to the mainboard directly. I had mine fail after four months of use for an unknown reason. It was still getting power, but no data.
<This space under renovation>

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2004, 05:58 PM

Yeah, my right USB port failed about 2 months ago. I just got it repaired and they replaced the "right PCB, USB port" Looks like its just a separate part (like the other person said above)
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2004, 03:13 PM

Actually, to correct myself. The left USB port is also not directly on the main logic board, but instead on the DC board that contains the power port, and also the sound jacks. Smart move by Apple to avoid replacing the entire logic board for broken ports.
<This space under renovation>

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
Is there any other way to run the Apple HW test?
No.

Apple Hardware Test doesn't even run a full operating system (it may LOOK like OS 9, but it's not). You have to restart the machine to run AHT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules