Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Ventrilo Prototype for OS X

Ventrilo Prototype for OS X
jeffB
Nov 3, 2005, 08:30 PM

www.ventrilo.com
but, its just a prototype, and the server you connect to has to use the Speex codec, and the two servers i can connect to don't.
either way, im pretty happy.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 09:50 PM

It only took forever. I've since moved on from needing a Mac client and really caring about Ventrilo, ever since the author delaired that people like me running their own server were scum and changed the server to not allow more then 8 people.

Good riddance.
<This space under renovation>

jeffB  (op)
Nov 3, 2005, 09:59 PM

don't switch from 2.1.4 or after

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2005, 11:22 AM

The server my guild uses doesn't use the Speex codec. Some GSM or something like that. Bummer. Guess I'm still stuck running Vent from laptop/older PC for now. :-(

J...
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

jeffB  (op)
Nov 4, 2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Drakino
It only took forever. I've since moved on from needing a Mac client and really caring about Ventrilo, ever since the author delaired that people like me running their own server were scum and changed the server to not allow more then 8 people.

Good riddance.
Some people would still like a Mac client. Considering how many threads there have been about it in the past, I figured they'd like to know.
And newer versions require you to rent a server to use it. Charging money in exchange for a service; e-gasp!

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by jeffB
Charging money in exchange for a service; e-gasp!
I never had an issue with him wanting to be paid for the servers. When they made the changes to lock out more then 8 people, it was done to prevent people from charging for the service without paying him a license fee. I also have no issue with trying to enforce a hosting license agreements.

The part that does irritate me were comments from the developer of things like "Well, the people using the free server arn't paying so why should I care that they are losing something?". My response to that was "Fine, I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee to use the server the same way I had been for a year." And the response? No. The developer decided that licenses would only be sold to professional hosting companies, not private server administrators like myself.

The ridiculous forms he had people fill out at Quakecon to use the server only during the LAN event was also just weird. In the end, I think more people just ended up using Team Speak to avoid the hassle.

Basicially the developer is an ass and it shows quite a bit in the way he runs things. And as far as the Mac client release, it's funny how it now magicially surfaces after the third party client Teamspeex was released allowing Mac users to connect to some Team Speak servers. Even slightly more odd is that both the Ventrilo client and the third party Team Speak client only use the Speex codec.

For anyone interested in the TeamSpeak client, info about it is now on the official Team Speak news page. Notice right below that is news about how they handled their unlicensed server issue. Instead of acting immature, they handled the situation well, without removing features from their free server.

baw
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 09:29 PM

System Requirements for Ventrillo Mac:

Operating system: OSX 10.3 or higher
Processor: 1.0 GHz or higher
Sound Input and Output device
Microphone
1GHz processor? What? That seems a bit high.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2005, 03:05 AM

Hmmm. Needs a bit of Mac polish. Who's up for it?

Xidius
Nov 7, 2005, 06:54 AM

My guild changed the codec in ~2 minutes, and now it works fine! It's so bad-ass finally being able to take part in it. =)

- Xidius
You're just jealous coz' the voices wont talk to you!

PConvert
Nov 7, 2005, 12:21 PM

My guild refuses to change codecs

GG
-Philadelphia, PA-

DaveNinja
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2005, 03:19 PM

I set up a ventrilo server on my old G3 and ran the client on my G5. worked great. To spilt the sounds (Have warcraft sound come out of speakers and ventrilo talk come out headset) you need to download a different app. I think its called Detour. it was free and worked after installing and logging out and back in.
Now i just need to group with people who actually use voice chat
daveninja.com

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 7, 2005, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I think its called Detour. it was free and worked after installing and logging out and back in.
Requires APE, btw.

DaveNinja
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 12:54 PM

It installed APE. i heard some pepople dont like APE. Whats the reason? i have never heard of it. did i screw up by installing it?
daveninja.com

PMDaly
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2005, 11:10 PM

My guild either isn't willing or can't change the codec for the mac version of Vent... and we run instances with another guild that uses Teamspeek... GSM... this is getting really frustrating for my guild and me b/c they have to type what's going on during instances. I really hope there's some way that the mac world can work with the pc world on this or vice versa.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2005, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by PMDaly
My guild either isn't willing or can't change the codec...
They aren't willing. It's a simple change. Find a better guild.

PMDaly
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2005, 05:59 PM

I like my guild though : / ... pvp every day and do ony/2xZG/MC each weeek... friendly. How do I go about setting up a server? maybe i could just do that

DaveNinja
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 02:51 PM

changing the codec is just changing 2 numbers in the ventrilo_srv.ini file ( i think). surprized they wont change. i doubt GSM is that much better than the good quality speex. The GSM codex should be added to the mac version of vent and TS soon.
daveninja.com

hdd_thoreau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I set up a ventrilo server on my old G3 and ran the client on my G5. worked great. To spilt the sounds (Have warcraft sound come out of speakers and ventrilo talk come out headset) you need to download a different app. I think its called Detour. it was free and worked after installing and logging out and back in.
Now i just need to group with people who actually use voice chat
My son is trying to use Ventrilo on the fam's G4 running Tiger. It keeps warning me that the GSM 6.10 codec is missing. Because your running ventrilo on your G5 (and I'm assuming Tiger) would you mind telling me how you got around that GSM roadblock? I'd be extremely grateful for any advice you can offer. Thanks.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by hdd_thoreau
My son is trying to use Ventrilo on the fam's G4 running Tiger. It keeps warning me that the GSM 6.10 codec is missing. Because your running ventrilo on your G5 (and I'm assuming Tiger) would you mind telling me how you got around that GSM roadblock? I'd be extremely grateful for any advice you can offer. Thanks.
The server your son is trying to connect to needs to change their codec in order for him to use it (for now). This version of the Ventrilo for Mac doesn't support GSM codec yet. It only supports the Speex codec. I assume that all codecs will be supported eventually.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2005, 06:02 PM

well i dont' really get ventrillo... can someone give me a server to connect to to try it out?

hdd_thoreau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
The server your son is trying to connect to needs to change their codec in order for him to use it (for now). This version of the Ventrilo for Mac doesn't support GSM codec yet. It only supports the Speex codec. I assume that all codecs will be supported eventually.
Thanks for the insight. I'll see what the guild has to say about trying out the Speex codec. I appreciate the help.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by PMDaly
How do I go about setting up a server? maybe i could just do that
See my second reply above on why you can't if you want more then 8 people on the server.

Auryn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 08:49 PM

Hi there. Today I thought I would be productive and install my games and vent on my mac. Of course I downloaded the newest version of vent for the mac but it's doing that thing where it's giving me crap about the speedex thing. My question now is this- can I download an older version that will actually work or do I have to wait until the vent people get their crap together???
helpful you are not.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Auryn
Hi there. Today I thought I would be productive and install my games and vent on my mac. Of course I downloaded the newest version of vent for the mac but it's doing that thing where it's giving me crap about the speedex thing. My question now is this- can I download an older version that will actually work or do I have to wait until the vent people get their crap together???
Originally Posted by ::maroma::
Read much? Your sig is too big, too.
http://forums.macnn.com/announcement.php?f=77&a=12

Auryn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
Read much? Your sig is too big, too.
http://forums.macnn.com/announcement.php?f=77&a=12

Thanks for your nice attitude. You guys are dicks. Thanks though.
helpful you are not.

w3etiki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 12:55 AM

I'm having trouble setting up a server too
After I downloaded the server package for osx on ventrilo's website, I proceed to running the ventrilo_srv.

I was prompted the following error:

Unable to open configuration file 'ventrilo_srv.ini'.
ERROR: Unable to read configuration data. Exiting.

I can open the .ini file using TextEdit but ventrillo isn't able to read it. How do I solve this problem? Thanks.

seppak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by w3etiki
I'm having trouble setting up a server too
After I downloaded the server package for osx on ventrilo's website, I proceed to running the ventrilo_srv.

I was prompted the following error:

Unable to open configuration file 'ventrilo_srv.ini'.
ERROR: Unable to read configuration data. Exiting.

I can open the .ini file using TextEdit but ventrillo isn't able to read it. How do I solve this problem? Thanks.
Is your pwd the directory the ini file exists in before you run ventrilo? For instance, this will not work:
cd /
./applications/ventrilo/ventrilo_srv
While this will work:
cd /applications/ventrilo
./ventrilo_srv

Forum Links
Forum Rules