Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ararat- The Movie THEY dont want you to see.

View Poll Results: Do you plan on seeing this movie?
Poll Options:
yes 4 votes (80.00%)
no 0 votes (0%)
undecided 1 votes (20.00%)
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll
Ararat- The Movie THEY dont want you to see.
iBabo
Senior User
Nov 16, 2002, 05:55 PM

the number one theater in america on friday was the Arclight in Hollyowood on sunset. harry potter helped, but mainly because every single showing of Ararat was sold out. in Glendale, Ararat is sold out until monday. same with beverly hills. (the 3 citys in which its showing on the west coast).

so whats Ararat (pronounced R-R-ot) about? its about a movie, that is being made about the armenian genocide. its directed by Atom Egoyan, starring David Alpay, Christopher Plummer, Arsinee Khanjian. i have to tell you it was the most powerful, the most emotional, the heavyest, the most thought provoking movie i have ever seen!!! even 24 hours after seeing the movie..your still processing the movie in your brain, because its soo heavy. i started tearing up during the movie. its just too much for someone to handle. you think you can keep it all in, then you look around and you see grown ups crying, and next thing you know you got tears rolling down your cheek.

its got original score written by Mycheal Danna. very good soundtrack. you can go look at reviews every where else on the web, but be warned alot of tem are HIGHLY politically motivated. the turkish government has spent billions(not an exageration) to undermine this entire movie. that and also the fact that its not a hollywood movie, in that not every dumba.s.s can go watch it and come out with a clear opinoin about the movie....the movie may be 2 hours long, but its takes a lot more then that to sink in. it is opening in 11 other citys in the coming week, i would suggest ALL of you to go and see this movie. its by far the most powerful and non hollywood-ish movie ive EVER seen.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Nov 16, 2002, 06:02 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jun 3, 2004 at 11:54 PM. )

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2002, 06:04 PM

what is it about?
snappy

iBabo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 16, 2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
what is it about?
its about the Armenian Genocide of 1915. it emphisizes on the persent day denial by the Turkish government. its done really well. there were even some shots made with a DV camera when someone went to present day turkey and bribed a turkish soldier to let him into militerized zones. those "militerized" zones are the ancient city of "Ani", the island of "Akhtamar" in Lake Van. and he path to Mount. Ararat. no cameras have been allowed in these areas, because they are ancient armenian villages and there is evidence of it there.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2002, 06:15 PM

what is it about?
-genocide
-media deception
-war
(A true story)

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2002, 06:16 PM

i mean obviously any genocide is important...may i ask for more info of it's significance?
snappy

iBabo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 16, 2002, 06:25 PM

i mean obviously any genocide is important...may i ask for more info of it's significance?
its a genocide that wiped out the entire armenian population from the ansestoral land in eastern turkey(western Armenia). the most significan tthing about it is that Hitler used it as a precident to carry out the holocaust. also, it is a genocide that has had a 85 year denial propoganda pampaign against it b the Turkish government. everytime a government has voted to recognize it, the turkish government has threatened them. alot of european countries have recognized it, but America, to date, has not recognized it as Genocide. presently there is a bil in the senate, S.R. 307, which is about the genocide. if you feel like acting out against this denial, contact your congressperson and let them know. you can do all of that automatically from www.anca.org

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2002, 06:34 PM

thanks, i understand now.

it must be terrible for the victim's families concerning closure and must be upset about not recognizing it.

sort of like if the United States refused to recognize slavery happened.

it's outrageous and i'll try to see it if it opens near my town.
snappy

iBabo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 16, 2002, 06:55 PM

thanks, i understand now.

it must be terrible for the victim's families concerning closure and must be upset about not recognizing it.

sort of like if the United States refused to recognize slavery happened.

it's outrageous and i'll try to see it if it opens near my town.
closure is a big problem, esspecially with the denial. Miramax(the distributer) has promised to distribute is nation-wide if the first weekend sells well.
www.miramax.com/ararat

iBabo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 18, 2002, 09:24 PM

::bump::
anyone?
smile like you mean it.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2002, 11:43 PM

Canadian director!

+1

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2002, 11:55 PM

Tevanian is Armenian!

+1
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

clubmedia.com
Banned
Nov 19, 2002, 12:29 AM

arafat is a terrorist at its most pathetic form. he may appear as a patriot or whatever, but when it comes right down to it, he has no problem with innocent children dying because of a land dispute

iBabo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 19, 2002, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by clubmedia.com:
arafat is a terrorist at its most pathetic form. he may appear as a patriot or whatever, but when it comes right down to it, he has no problem with innocent children dying because of a land dispute
um...howd you get Arafat in all of this...we are talking abou the movie "Ararat". as in the Mountain Ararat.
smile like you mean it.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Nov 19, 2002, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by clubmedia.com:
WTF? Die in a dutch oven.

Forum Links
Forum Rules