Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" How hot is toooooooo!!!!! hot

12" How hot is toooooooo!!!!! hot
iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 10:14 PM

I noticed that my powerbook gets pretty darn hot at times when I play Halo, or use garageband. I was wondering how hot could my powerbook actually get without being a potential danger to itself. I usually get around 145�F when I do the actions mentioned above, is this bad?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2004, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I noticed that my powerbook gets pretty darn hot at times when I play Halo, or use garageband. I was wondering how hot could my powerbook actually get without being a potential danger to itself. I usually get around 145�F when I do the actions mentioned above, is this bad?
First, it can't hurt itself. It would turn off if it would get too hot, but don't worry about it being really warm. That can happen.

145F is no big deal at all. It just means that the fan is really going to run high.

Second: Give us more info. What revision of the 12" - 867MHz or 1GHz? How long does the temp stay up there? Does the fan run? Loud?

Do you know Temperature Monitor? Try it and tell us what it reports.

meatyocre
Feb 8, 2004, 10:33 AM

If it gets too hot you will notice slower performance or as stated above, it will shutdown. A non-Alum notebook does not dissipate heat nearly as well as the PB's and they would be more prone to "cooking" themselves.

I have cooked eggs and bacon on the underside of mine. The alum surface is nice and non-stick.

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2004, 02:54 PM

Sunny-side up Or scrambled? Got pics?
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Sosa
Senior User
Feb 8, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by meatyocre:
I have cooked eggs and bacon on the underside of mine. The alum surface is nice and non-stick.
Surely you jest!
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2004, 07:30 PM

Why don't you just put the PB to sleep every once in a while? How long are you playing Halo or using Garageband? Just take a break every once in a while.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2004, 08:28 PM

I have the Rev B, and I just wanted reassurance that I wasn't going to screw up my computer. I run Halo and garageband for hours at a time (1-3hrs), but from what I hear my 12" will be ok after all this, its not like I run my computer all day long either. So thanks for all the help.

srviratamnn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 09:51 PM

I have similar "problems" with my PB G4 867. I found a laptop cooler which elevates it and has two USB-powered fans underneath it. It was something like $39 at OfficeMax. I can look up the brand and possibly email a photo if interested. It keeps it pretty comfortable, even with heavy processor use.

No eggs for my PB!!!

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2004, 10:14 PM

For extended use, probably a good idea to use something like an iCurve, as sitting in-front of a notebook isn't exactly ergonomic. *rubs neck*

It will also increase the air circulation around the Powerbook to keep it cooler.

srviratamnn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 11:45 PM

The cooler is called an Laptop Cooler

Antec Laptop Cooler

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 03:20 AM

Yeah I have an iCurve and it works great, but my gripe is that even on the iCurve it gets pretty toasty, but I guess thats the deal with it. By the way srviratamnn using temp monitor how hot does your PB get using that fan cooler, I've seen those and always wondered if I should get rid of aesthetics for functionality.

srviratamnn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 10:33 AM

iREZ,

I'll let you know more about temperatures tonight. My impression is that it makes a significant difference, but I'll throw numbers your way later

Steve

srviratamnn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 10:55 PM

iREZ,

The temperature monitor says about 41-42 C. I don't know the maximum temperature without the cooler yet, but maybe this will help you. I can tell you that it makes the area below the left palm a lot more comfortable. This I can say without a temperature monitor. I don't know if processor temperature correlates with case temperature either.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 11:02 PM

Wow, thats pretty damn good, my computer is running at 47�C right now and all I'm doing is surfing the net with no other programs runnin. Maybe I should sacrafice good looks for something that works better, and after giving them a second look those fans dont look too bad, thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.

srviratamnn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 10:54 PM

FYI,

I'm using the PowerBook tonight without the cooler and the temperatures are ranging from 50-55 C (about 30 minutes of web surfing). I think the palmrest can get even warmer, but I'm convinced that the cooler works.

emil
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2004, 02:28 AM

i have an 867MHz 12" that hasn't gotten hotter than 55�C .. and I haven't had any problems, though the level of noise the fan makes has concerned me... $0.02.

Originally posted by srviratamnn:
FYI,

I'm using the PowerBook tonight without the cooler and the temperatures are ranging from 50-55 C (about 30 minutes of web surfing). I think the palmrest can get even warmer, but I'm convinced that the cooler works.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2004, 02:49 AM

Hmmmmm.............I think Imma keep the iCurve until the heat issue really bothers me, and when it does I should have a few bux saved up to spring for one of those fan coolers. Thanks a million for all the info, I really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Monstermind
Feb 11, 2004, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Hmmmmm.............I think Imma keep the iCurve until the heat issue really bothers me, and when it does I should have a few bux saved up to spring for one of those fan coolers. Thanks a million for all the info, I really appreciate it. Thanks again.
I just use one of those flat shipping boxes they have in the front section of post offices. You know the kind...

Wouldn't 2 USB powered fans drain the battery all the faster?

srviratamnn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 02:42 PM

It certainly takes power, but I mainly use it while plugged in.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2004, 04:55 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't want to carry something like that everywhere I went, and its not like I use GB or Halo without having my comp plugged in anyway.

srviratamnn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 11:28 PM

it is a little bigger than my 12" powerbook, so i do take it with me when i'm going to use it a lot. it goes into my laptop bag quite easily. it needs to sit on a flat surface (not your lap) because it is slightly elevated since the fans blow downward.

Forum Links
Forum Rules