Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mac hooked to LCD TV

Mac hooked to LCD TV
dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2005, 03:48 AM

Hi,

Just bought a LCD HDTV (Philips 26PF5320) and Mac Mini to serve as mediahub and internet connection.
Hooking the machines up with DVI was smooth except that I only get a 4:3 picture when using the computer.
Is there any way to get the Mini to display a 16:9 resolution to make use of the whole screen realestate?
Guess it's the TV that has some sort of limitation in it (is it sending info on available resolutions to the computer via DVI?) but surely it can be fooled into accepting a 16:9 resolution?

Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks,
D
DI

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2005, 11:53 AM

Try searching here if you don't find a solution: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40

I'd sure guess this is a setting with the TV and not the Mac itself. Have you tried different zoom modes?
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 12:42 PM

Check this

Maybe DisplayConfigX can help you.

BTW, how good is that Philips?, do you use it with DVD players, game consoles?, thanks.

dannyillusion  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2005, 02:50 PM

Thanks guys, the avs forum is quite a resource and that Sony project definetly gives some ideas of what needs to be done!
I'm gearing up for a long night, lots of coffe...

Anyways about the Philips:
To start of I'm really happy with this.
I'm not a tech guy so the tech specs doesn't really do anything for me but because of my work which involves screening hours upon hours of TV (I buy programs for a Scandinavian TV-channel) I'm very picky with image quality.
After checking around with the tech oriented guys at work I narrowed the search down and resorted to my eyes...
So far everything from aesthetics, on screen menues and settings to the all important image quality is above expectations... guess the audio could be a bit beefier but then again I have yet to play around with the eq. The image quality is supperior to the Philips LCDs (for example 26PF4310) I previously had a look at and at that point decided not to buy.
Don't really play games so I couldn't say anything about PS2 performance but my Panasonic S70 dvd player works well with the set.
Well, that's my 2cents...

Thanks again for the help!

/D
DI

dannyillusion  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2005, 03:50 PM

Success!!!

DisplayConfig did the trick, 1280x720 worked out of the box...
It's just a tad bit fuzzy if your up close but no doubt the tweaking options in the program will take care of that.

Thanks again for the help!

/D
DI

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 05:19 PM

Excellent

If you are able to share a pict, it is mostly welcome !

Forum Links
Forum Rules