Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport not working

Airport not working
dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2006, 11:50 AM

Everything just started going super slow while surfing and I figuered the blame would be on my crap internet provider.
Turns out it's the airport, the speed is fine if i connect directly to my modem with a cable.
I'm kind of at a loss here... what to do?
Can't find anything wrong with my airport settings...
Can this have something to do with yesterday's update?

Any advice apreciated.
DI

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2006, 01:36 PM

Router type?
Is it hot or in an enclosed area? Make sure it has plenty of ventilation and is cool.
OS, Mac type?

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2006, 02:30 PM

I've noticed the same problem within the past few days w/ my Airport Express and intel iMac. Wireless printing takes literally 10 minutes per page, Airtunes loses audio every few seconds, and my internet is running at less than half the speed as normal. I've rebooted everything, and it's still wonky. However, I have NOT yet installed the update from yesterday. I'm going to do it and see if that changes anything.

dannyillusion  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2006, 03:54 AM

The problem keeps coming back...
First I did a proper resett of the Airoprt Express Base Station.
This solved the problem temporarily but after a while the problems came back.
This morning I reset the modem, airport and restarted all computers, let's see how long this will work.
I did find something in the apple support that said that to solve certain problems a restart of all equipment might be necessary.
We use an Airport Express Base Station, with PB12", Mac Mini G4 and MacBook. The modem is a Motorola SB5100E cable modem.
DI

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2006, 07:16 AM

Hmm reviews for the Express on the Apple store mostly report failure after a year or two, yours could be going down the same route.

dannyillusion  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by seanc
Hmm reviews for the Express on the Apple store mostly report failure after a year or two, yours could be going down the same route.
That would indeed suck...
It's been working for 24 hours now. Maybe it had something to do with communications between base station and modem...
DI

mouthster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by dannyillusion
Everything just started going super slow while surfing and I figuered the blame would be on my crap internet provider.
Turns out it's the airport, the speed is fine if i connect directly to my modem with a cable.
I'm kind of at a loss here... what to do?
Can't find anything wrong with my airport settings...
Can this have something to do with yesterday's update?

Any advice apreciated.
This is weird, same thing has happened to me. I also checked Apple's dicussion forums and it looks like it's happened to others as well. What's really strange is my PC's connecting to the Airport Express are also slow , and obviously the latest airport update wouldn't have effected them.

This is after about 2 years of solid uptime.

dannyillusion  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mouthster
This is weird, same thing has happened to me. I also checked Apple's dicussion forums and it looks like it's happened to others as well. What's really strange is my PC's connecting to the Airport Express are also slow , and obviously the latest airport update wouldn't have effected them.

This is after about 2 years of solid uptime.
Must have something to do with Airport Basestation talking to the modem.
It seems that removing the powercords from both modem and Airport Express for a few minutes did it for me.
DI

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2006, 05:48 PM

Disconecting and reconnecting everything hasn't worked for me, so I'm sticking to a direct ethernet cable to computer connection. Now I'm back up to 4500kbps down whereas I was getting like 200down with the Airport. Why do these things have such a high failure rate? My original Airport station (2001 model) stopped functioning properly after a few years also.

Forum Links
Forum Rules