Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > BlueChip G3/500 upgrade

BlueChip G3/500 upgrade
dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 07:53 PM

I have a G3 Wallstreet which I upgraded with a PowerLogix G3/500 6 months ago. This thing screams! Right now I'm running 10.0.3 and I have 11 apps open, including Excel, and BIG java app for biological analysis, and the usual OS X suspects (OmniWeb, Acrobat Reader, iTunes) - and the thing is really speedy. I love my good old Wallstreet!

Here's the problem:

Recently, I started having problems with my logic board (not the processor card itself, but the board to which the processor daughter card plugs in). My computer runs fine when it's on, but the logic board problem has made sleeping and shut down problematic (the computer will not start up again). This is a problem for a mobile computer!

An Apple Authorized Service Provider has told me the culprit is the logic board and the repair cost will be $800. I am not going to spend that on a 2 1/2 year old computer.

I am currently assessing my options, seeing if I can scrape together the money for a new iBook. I need to see if I will be able to recoup any of the expenses I've put into the computer before I make a decision.

Would anybody be interested in buying a BlueChip processor upgrade. How much would you spend for it? What if it included 384 MB of RAM? I've also got a nice 10 GB Toshiba hard drive that I've put into the Wallstreet, as well as a MacAlly USB card and a Newer FireWire2Go card. Let me know if you are interested in any of this stuff!

Thanks!
Don

Locutus27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 09:02 PM

dbergstrom

Email me with your asking price on your components! I have a Rev B Wallstreet 300 192MB 8GB DVD, Firewire 2go etc.

Sorry to hear you have a bad logic board on your wallstreet... I might be very interested in some of these parts 10GB, 256MB Ram Chip, Macally USB card and BlueChip processor card.

[email protected]

Locutus 27

Davidarm
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 03:16 AM

Alternatively, you could go to Powerbook Parts (www.pbparts.com) and get a logic board for $299...

Forum Links
Forum Rules