Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > New HD For An Old Quadra

New HD For An Old Quadra
Monstermind
Oct 9, 2001, 07:35 PM

Is there anything in particular I should know about installing a new internal HD into a Quadra 650?

By which I mean, would any Mac-compatible HD I find in MacWarehouse do the trick? What specs should I be looking for?

(IGNORING the fact that, given the Quadra's lackluster speed, it probably wouldn't be worth it. This is way important, folks...)

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Monstermind ]

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2001, 01:53 PM

Depending on what you think a drive is worth, you might look for a PM75-76-7300 or such that would offer 1-2GB hdd, cd, ppc, ethernet and provide a good choice for email and web over the Quadra.

Sun, Shreve, etc sometimes get a couple in. Expect to pay $100-400.

A new, narrow SCSI drive can cost $200. Seagate Barracuda is 18GB (Quadra can't address more than 2GB on one volume).

I'm sure you can find 1-2GB drive. But why? External, a case can run $70, cable, terminator (yes, active terminators help, not just passive plug). Use it to backup and transfer files over to PM7300/200. Or use an ethernet cable/hub.

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2001, 06:49 PM

Just toss it. A new machine off ebay with a hard drive in it will be cheaper than a drive.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2001, 02:43 AM

Don't listen to them!!! I have a quadra 700 as my internet router, and its awesome!!! Don't throw it away, you can get a hard drive dirt cheap. I'll sell you a 1 GB that will fit right in there. I'll sell you a 500MB drive that will fit right in for $10. Email me if you want it. The 650 would make a great router, just buy an ethernet transceiver, a nubus ethernet card, and install OS 8.1 and IPNetRouter, and you can give even that fastest macs as much internet as they (or your cable modem :-( ) can handle. And with a quadra, you can even add a localtalk network and get it online too!!

Monstermind  (op)
Oct 14, 2001, 11:23 AM

The woman in question I'm trying to secure a HD for has no use or interest in having a 650 for a router. If she uses the 650 for anything other than getting her email and working in Quark, I'd be surprised; basically I'm doing this to get on her good side.http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/biggrin.gif

As it stands, I have found a place that hawks used Macs here in my native country of Long Island, NY. They supposedly have Performa all-in-ones for $40. I don't know which model we're talking here (yet), but as long as it has a CD, a modem and it's faster than a Quadra 650, I think she'll be happy, so I may just get her one of those instead of just a HD.

Hell, if it's a good model all-in-one I may just get another for myself. I already have a 6500 with a g3 card, but I say ya can't have too many Macs...

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2001, 01:19 AM

Well the only Apple all-in-ones that could ever cost $40 right now are Performa 500's, which are actually slower than a quadra 650, they have 68030 chips, not 68040.

Monstermind  (op)
Oct 19, 2001, 09:08 AM

I'm seeing the guy on Sunday night. I'll know the particulars then, if I don't email him first. And actually the Performas he was talking about were $50, not $40. My bad.

He also has 6100s for $40, which have 601 chips, and since the person I'm getting it for already has a monitor, mouse & keyboard, the all-in-one configuration wouldn't be an absolute necessity.

Forum Links
Forum Rules