Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sound Out jack, and initial impressions, and USB speakers

Sound Out jack, and initial impressions, and USB speakers
Balthisar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2000, 11:55 AM

Hi All! Got *my* beta installed!

First, I was delighted that Mac OS X recognizes my XLR8 mouse RIGHT-BUTTON and SCROLL WHEEL right out of the box! Although for some reason the wheel doesn't work in IE.

Secondly, the audio-out jacks don't work on my original Graphite iMac SE. I've seen similar problems reported here as well. Maybe USB speakers work, but I really have to question the existence of USB speakers in the first place - seriously. Analog speakers really *are* just a good, and don't require *any* processor overhead. The built-in sound is merely switched to an external output instead of the built in speakers. But USB speakers require digital to analog back to digital conversion in the computer, then conversion back to analog again in the speakers?Doesn't this slow things down?

Anyway, OSX, so far, so good!

Jim

Jade2
Oct 2, 2000, 11:28 AM

I was impressed also that X beta reconized my Macally iSweet mouse right-click & scroll wheel without having to install drivers of any kind, but I noticed the scroll wheel doesn't work in explorer (like yours) and also finder windows. It does work in included apps, liked TextEdit and Mail.

Also, my external speakers (non-usb) plugged in through the external speakers port don't work in X. They do work in 9.04 and earlier.

(pardon the unregistered status, i lost my username, and the email address it sent it to is no longer around).

Forum Links
Forum Rules