Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Performa/iMac upgrading

Performa/iMac upgrading
becks
Apr 6, 2000, 05:57 AM

I'm on the verge of ordering my iMac (after two years of drooling over every one I saw).

The dilema is that I've got a Performa 5260 which I'm going to have to transfer files off, plus a Palm and printer which I'll need to connect to the iMac. I'm getting a Zip drive to solve the files problem and I'm looking at a Keyspan twin serial adapter for the other two. But will these be able to take enough power just from the iMac without having to get an additional hub?

Some people have told me that the Zip will work off the keyboard, others have told me differently. Can anyone give me a definitive answer?

Thanks
Becks

Balthisar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2000, 08:59 AM

Forget the Zip drive, unless you really, really want one anyway. Just buy a less-expensive Ethernet card for the Performa, then you'll be able transfer the files a whole lot quicker (plus, does your Performa already have a SCSI Zip drive, or how were you figuring on connecting the Zip to the Performa?). Plus, the Ethernet lets you use the Performa as a backup server (just throw the keyboard, mouse, et al in a closet somewhere).

becks
Apr 6, 2000, 10:03 AM

The Performa's got a SCSI Zip drive and I have to use Zips a lot for transferring files anyway. For various reasons I can't always rely on transferring files via the net/iDisk.

Becks

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2000, 11:54 AM

An ethernet card is worth it for the performa anyway, having an older machine hidden away that you can stuff a large IDE drive on and use as a server is always useful, as is letting other members of the family use it as a word processing machine and Warcraft II machine (which can be networked to the iMac).
Aaron

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2000, 02:27 PM

On the subject of the hub, I hate to say it but you're going to have to buy one sooner or later. Better unplugging from the hub than increasing the duty-cycle on the iMac connectors. It's amazing how quick USB accessories can accumulate! Good hubs: Entrega, Belkin etc. avoid the REALLY cheap ones. And if you can afford it, go for a Seven Port Hub (that may sound excessive but it's worth it if you don't want to spend half your life plugging things in and out). Also make sure it's a powered hub (it's own AC adapter).

PS - I know the whole point of USB being hot-pluggable was to be able to plug things in and out. It just becomes a drag if you have to do it too often or while you're in the middle of something.

PPS - Because the Zip is a powered device anyway, I have used mine direct, through the keyboard and via an Entrega hub without incident.

[This message has been edited by Feathers (edited 04-07-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules