Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Yet *more* iMac monitor not off during sleep!

Yet *more* iMac monitor not off during sleep!
Balthisar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2000, 12:28 PM

Hi there,

This has come up quite a bit in the newsgroups and here at Macnn, in that when the iMac goes into a "light" sleep mode (i.e., normal idle sleep with the processor still running), the built-in screen dims, but doesn't turn off (you can see this in a dark room - the screen still glows black). This is a known issue, and is explained in Apple's TIL at http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n20181

So, I guess for those more advanced programmers out there, I want to challenge you to a software fix. According the the aforementioned article, it seems that disabling the /CSYNC and/or /VSYNC would effectively turn off the monitor during sleep.

If no one's willing to do the work, anyone out there willing to explain *how* to do the work? I'm capable enough to make some ToolBox calls from RealBASIC or CodeWarrior.

Thanks!

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2000, 01:14 PM

It's so much of a "know issue" as it's designed to work that way. The computer is funtioning as it's designed to. Apple must have desided that if they could make the computer wake fast and still meet Energy Star then that's what they would do.

No doubt if they had programmed it to click the monitor off then people would complain that it takes too long to wake from sleep.

Balthisar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2000, 11:23 PM

You're right, and I understand their reasons for doing it. My old Colour Classic actually turned off the screen completely, and it did take a while to turn back on. I didn't write the post as a gripe to Apple to fix the problem (although it would be a good extra option in the Energy Saver), but to see if some enterprising software programmer could come up with a way to inflict the behavior that many of us want.

Forum Links
Forum Rules