Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New and improved Home Theater complete! (pics)

New and improved Home Theater complete! (pics)
mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2008, 10:25 PM

My LCoS JVC was beginning to show its age after owning it for 3+ years so I decided it was time to make the jump from 720p to full 1080p. It is crazy how much the prices drop on technology as it matures. What I paid for HD years back is nearly twice as much as it cost me to make this current jump. I researched many days for the best bang for your buck projector out there and I am truly pleased with this Sanyo PLV-Z2000. Here are some pictures!

Before:

After:

High Res:

Games:

System Specs:
Display: Sanyo PLV-Z2000 @ 100"

Game Consoles:
Microsoft Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD drive
Playstation 3

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1015TX

Remote: Logitech Harmony 1000 Universal Remote

Speakers:
Polk Audio Monitor 70 Front (bi-wired 240 watts a piece)
Polk Audio CS2 Center
Polk Audio Monitor 40 Rears

Subwoofer: SVS PB12–NSD

Comcast HD Cable w/ HD DVR
( Last edited by mutelight; Feb 21, 2008 at 10:40 PM. )

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2008, 10:35 PM

Looks great! Congrats.

What size is that screen?

mutelight  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2008, 10:37 PM

Thanks man!

The screen is 100".

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2008, 10:39 PM

That's a really nice setup. The picture quality looks amazing.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2008, 10:41 PM

Your setup looks great.
( Last edited by cjrivera; Feb 21, 2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Nevermind... didn't read the rest of the post. too busy checking out the picture details on the screen.)
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

MM-o4
Senior User
Feb 21, 2008, 10:44 PM

isn't there a hot chick in lost? why use the fat guy twice. He always has the 'oh-gee-that-sucks' look

mutelight  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2008, 10:44 PM

Thanks gents! Yeah, I am very pleased with the image quality from this projector. I have been frequenting AVSforum to really dial in the skin tones and image quality of the projector. For $1,400 (after rebates) I really couldn't be happier with the bright vivid image it is able to produce.

To cjrivera, I edited my initial post and added the system specs for those interested.

mutelight  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by MM-o4 View Post
isn't there a hot chick in lost? why use the fat guy twice. He always has the 'oh-gee-that-sucks' look
I love Hurley, he is a great character.

Here is Kate for your viewing pleasure.

alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2008, 10:52 PM

Where did you get the screen? Finding a projector is fairly easy, but finding a good screen that doesn't cost a fortune is hard. Is it automatic, or do you manually roll it up and down?

Is it an LCD projector, or DLP? Any rainbows?

MM-o4
Senior User
Feb 21, 2008, 10:54 PM

cheers

love to play Gears on your setup. Can't wait till nov for Gears 2!

mutelight  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2008, 10:58 PM

I work part time for a presentation company in the area and during an install for a client and the guys putting up the screen tore it near the top so it had to be replaced. A co-worker of mine mentioned that they were going to toss the screen anyway so it was up for grabs. Fortunately the screen was 4:3 aspect ratio on one side and 16:9 on the other near the bottom, so what I did was cut it down and placed some dowels on the top and bottom. I don't actually ever put up the screen so for the time being it works quite well and you can't beat free. In a few months time I plan on purchasing either an Elitescreen or one from Carada. (funds permitting)

The projector is LCD tech since I am highly susceptible to the rainbow effect especially at the size the unit is firing. It was between an LCD or LCoS unit (Sony's SXRD or JVC's HD-ILA) but the low price point vs. performance really stuck out for me on the one I decided on.

Originally Posted by MM-o4 View Post
cheers

love to play Gears on your setup. Can't wait till nov for Gears 2!
Thank you.

I watched some of the tech demos of Gears 2 that was shown at GDC. Very impressive stuff! I cannot wait myself!

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2008, 11:33 PM

Which Sony SXRD were you looking at?

mutelight  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2008, 12:19 AM

The Sony BRAVIA VPL-VW40.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 12:21 AM

I've always had a fondness for SVS, they make a good product.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2008, 01:36 AM

Your setup has been in my dreams quite a few times now. And that laptop. And.. that house. Man, can I move in with you? And if you don't mind, can I bring my PC along with? I'd loovve to play Crysis on that screen. Or, if you think my rig would blow your style (its red and silver), you could buy me a Blackbird 002. That would match well. And it would bring a few other benefits with it

EDIT: Some of those pictures seem to have a Cover Flow thing going on, with the reflections on the glass table. Looks sweet!
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Feb 22, 2008 at 01:52 AM. )
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2008, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
The Sony BRAVIA VPL-VW40.
That's a very nice projector. Was there a big difference in picture quality between the 2? The VW40 is pretty much the same as the VW50, right? I was thinking of upgrading to the VW60 when the prices come down a bit.

mutelight  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2008, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I've always had a fondness for SVS, they make a good product.
I am extremely happy with the SVS sub, very solid, no port noise, goes DEEP. Really adds a whole new dimension to films and music.

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Your setup has been in my dreams quite a few times now. And that laptop. And.. that house. Man, can I move in with you? And if you don't mind, can I bring my PC along with? I'd loovve to play Crysis on that screen. Or, if you think my rig would blow your style (its red and silver), you could buy me a Blackbird 002. That would match well. And it would bring a few other benefits with it

EDIT: Some of those pictures seem to have a Cover Flow thing going on, with the reflections on the glass table. Looks sweet!
Come on down man, I would love to play Crysis on it. Unfortunately my computer doesn't have the horespower to run it well.

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
That's a very nice projector. Was there a big difference in picture quality between the 2? The VW40 is pretty much the same as the VW50, right? I was thinking of upgrading to the VW60 when the prices come down a bit.
I haven't seen the Sony in action personally, the main reason I went with the Sanyo was the performance and price. After the rebate it made it significantly cheaper than the other comparable units.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Come on down man, I would love to play Crysis on it. Unfortunately my computer doesn't have the horespower to run it well.
A Mac Pro with an X1900Xt? That should handle medium settings alright. Though the 30" screen may pose a problem...
I'm not really sure that any PC can run it well though. I'm waiting patiently for the top-of-the-line GeForce 9000 card, because this time I'm not going to be cheap and get the equivalent of the 8600 GTS. I'm going straight for the top! Then, and maybe then, will I be able to run Crysis at full settings with a decent resolution and actually turn on AA.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Feb 22, 2008, 01:39 PM

I wish I had your money! Oh how I hate working for the gov't!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 03:21 PM

Just a note with regards to money. While these things are not cheap, they aren't anywhere near as expensive as they used to be.

A half decent hi-def (720p) projector costs about the same as a 42" LCD. I bought the Panasonic PT-AX200U.

Furthermore, if you have a dedicated room, you don't need a screen at all. A screen is often preferred, but I'm using a $30 can of paint, aptly named Sherwin Williams Gray Screen.

I am extremely happy with the SVS sub, very solid, no port noise, goes DEEP. Really adds a whole new dimension to films and music.
I'm running an SVS too, a PB13-Ultra. Very nice.

Anyone in Toronto want to buy my SVS 25-31PC? It has now been retired.

mutelight  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2008, 07:54 AM

Anyone looking for a sub definitely talk to Eug. SVS subs are absolutely phenomenal. I would love the PB13-Ultra I just think it would be too much for my current system. My PB-12 NSD gives plenty of tactile feedback even at 1/3 gain and goes so incredibly deep. One day the PB13-Ultra will be mine, oh yes, it will be mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules