Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > HOLY CRAP - Light Peak - replacement for USB, FireWire, eSATA, and everything else

HOLY CRAP - Light Peak - replacement for USB, FireWire, eSATA, and everything else (Page 2)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Would you prefer that I use ESP to figure out definitively what Steve was thinking?

Or what exactly were you expecting?
Um perhaps like at least a story about it, some quotes, references, links....

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2009, 02:33 PM

Sorry, I've got other things to do. Besides, the only one who positively knows what Steve meant by that is Steve, and the most anyone else can do is guess.

edit: here you go, a link. This is my guess as to the "world of hurt" caused by the licensing for Blu-Ray.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
( Last edited by CharlesS; Sep 28, 2009 at 02:50 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2009, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Actually, I think Apple and Intel stole the idea from ort888. I also love how plenty of people popped into the thread and said matter-of-factly how and why this was impossible. Well done, internet geniuses.
^^^ this.

Some regulars in there telling Ort that essentially he's clueless. Half a year later Intel demonstrates the idea on actual working hardware. To make things even better, they do it on OS X. Congrats to Ort, shame on some of the others.

Cold Warrior
Mar 14, 2010, 10:59 AM

Novelties - From Camera to Computer, With Fiber Optic Links - NYTimes.com

Standard NYT article on it. It says light peak is coming to manufacturers later this year.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2010, 01:51 PM

So wait is Intel behind it all? If so what's the point of USB 3?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Backwards compatibility.

However, Intel doesn't seem to eager to implement USB3.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2010, 03:05 PM

Could Light Peak offer full, transparent Firewire compatibility with an adapter cable?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2010, 03:18 PM

LP and USB aren't the same thing. They don't really compete. You can run USB over LP actually. You can think of LP as a physical carrier for other bus protocols.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Could Light Peak offer full, transparent Firewire compatibility with an adapter cable?
In principle, yes. However, bus power is still something Intel needs to integrate into LP for this to become fully possible.

But assuming they're talking care of that, LP could be used to route video, Ethernet, USB, FW, etc. all through the same physical bus.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Backwards compatibility.

However, Intel doesn't seem to eager to implement USB3.

-t
I dunno man, USB is using fibre already and they just have some sort of fancy converter in the plug or something so it works on USB2.

Even so what is the point of all this conversion and upgrading to USB3. Then what, USB4 is another backwards compatible one or can they just switch it to lightpeak?

Please don't drag on a new USB format on for another 10 years just so my cheap printer still works.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2010, 06:04 PM

Well, I'd like for Light Peak to replace USB.

However, so far, it's not clear if Light Peak will support power. W/o that, it's not a full replacement.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2010, 03:56 AM

Read again: LP will not replace USB. It is not intended to do that.

The idea is that LP can carry USB together with many other bus protocols across the same physical layer. The question is not LP or USB. In fact, if bus power isn't added to LP it will necessarily be LP and USB.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2010, 08:47 AM

So in other words, Simon, you're saying that LP will just simplify the internal bus logic by carrying all those protocols on it, but there will still need to be separate interfaces?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2010, 10:42 AM

That's just one way LP was demonstrated to work. It's not that LP couldn't run "its own bus", it can actually. But right from the start it was designed to also act as a physical layer for other bus protocols to run on top of.

Bottom line, LP and USB3 neither require nor exclude each other. USB3 will happen with or without LP.

What you could contemplate however, is that eventually Intel could push high-bandwidth applications to a new LP protocol in order not to have to develop USB4.
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2010, 01:39 PM

Well, I'd like for Light Peak to replace USB.

However, so far, it's not clear if Light Peak will support power. W/o that, it's not a full replacement.

-t
Meh, the cable is so thin that they have to add a thick jacket to protect it anyway. Might as well throw in another wire first just to supply power.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2010, 02:55 PM

Actually, there were some valid objections raised that are not (yet) answered by this new Intel proposal.

-t
I'm sure they've been answered, they just haven't decided to tell you yet.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2010, 05:06 PM

Meh, the cable is so thin that they have to add a thick jacket to protect it anyway. Might as well throw in another wire first just to supply power.
Indeed. Light Peak isn't out yet and hasn't been finalized. I can't see any reason against having a wire for electricity transport along with the light. How hard can it be?

A powered Light Peak seems like a simple enough replacement for USB and most other ports as well.

Time will tell, but I'm not going to bash Light Peak for possible flaws. When it is out and in production on actual Macs, we can rehash this discussion - but right now it seems like a perfect replacement for most ports.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

OreoCookie
Mar 15, 2010, 05:18 PM

Light peak is a sort of `metainterface' which can be used to bundle interfaces, for instances. You could run only one data cable from your Mac to your display which not only carries the video signal but also, say, USB and FireWire.

Think of Light peak like a QuickTime container: it may contain many different tracks in different formats. The container format doesn't care about the content. But even by itself, the tracks in different formats can be read by themselves if you put them into files.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Mar 15, 2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: lightpath --> light peak)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Lightpath is a sort of `metainterface' which can be used to bundle interfaces, for instances. You could run only one data cable from your Mac to your display which not only carries the video signal but also, say, USB and FireWire.

Think of Lightpath like a QuickTime container: it may contain many different tracks in different formats. The container format doesn't care about the content. But even by itself, the tracks in different formats can be read by themselves if you put them into files.
Lightpath? Sounds riveting
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2010, 03:47 AM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 6, 2010, 12:41 PM

This is the first time i have been excited for a friggin cable.

I can't wait for the day 1 cable carries the whole shabang.

HDMI is a dream for me in the tv/audio department and this sounds even better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules