Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > An interesting Investment option: juwelry?

An interesting Investment option: juwelry?
Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Jun 2, 2005, 08:19 AM

Almost sounds like spam, huh? Has nothing to do with that though. I have noticed that I spend too much money on music, my girlfriend, Macs or technology in general. So I was looking into options that give me a better return when I need the money back... when it comes to my girlfriend it's quite easy to find an alternative: to cook myself and not order food or go to a restaurant (at least not too often, I'm just a student). (Sounds easier than it is, cuz who could resist one's girlfriend) For technology and especially music it's hard to find another option though. I'm not a musician to make my own music, nor am I into electronics (yet) to build my own hardware The generally problem with technology is that once you put your money in there you will get back far less after only a short period of time.

So what came into my mind was jewelry! You can spend your money on that, and the value should not decrease; in the best case it even increases. Since I don't have so much money I wouldn't be able to buy pure gold etc or the highest quality of jewelry. So I was wondering what I should pay attention to when I buy a ring or necklace (etc) in order to get the right value for the money? How can I know whether it's good quality and worth the money?

Thanks in advance,
Thilo

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 08:21 AM

juwelry?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 2, 2005, 08:23 AM

juwelry?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 08:30 AM

Jewellery is a crappy investment. The mark up is incredibly high, especially when you buy branded stuff. If you want a secure investment buy gold or unset diamonds, but don't expect a high rate of return there either.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2005, 08:35 AM

Jewelry is difficult to part with. That's one of the reasons why it was problematic circulating gold (and silver) as currency - people would melt it down and make jewelry, leading to currency shortages. You'd be better of buying treasury notes or stocks, if you're not too risk averse.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Thilo Ettelt  (op)
Senior User
Jun 2, 2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Jewellery is a crappy investment. The mark up is incredibly high, especially when you buy branded stuff. If you want a secure investment buy gold or unset diamonds, but don't expect a high rate of return there either.
I guess buying pure gold and unset diamonds is far above my budget.

Darn. Looks like I have to strengthen my will and just not spend the money at all or put it on another bank account and hide the card somewhere.

- Thilo

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 09:02 AM

buy property. it is valuable to live on it and pay for mortgage rather than rent, since you own it after awhile or can lease and sell it for a profit.

you're a student, shouldn't you be poor?

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 09:43 AM

Diamonds? Diamonds are a crappy investment anyway. Diamonds aren't rare, but the market is carefully manipulated by DeBeers. A diamond might cost a lot for an ordinary person to acquire, but you can't sell it for anything like the same price, not within the jewelry business anyway.

If you want to do something like this, the best thing would be to buy apartments that you can rent out to students at a profit. Just remember: it's a business, treat it as such. It won't do to be a pushover. Charge realistic rents that will net you a profit, after all your costs. You might want to put the profits back into the business (upgrading apts. for higher rents, getting more apts., etc.) but whatever you do, don't expect a payoff rapidly.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules