Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Burger King vs McDonalds

Burger King vs McDonalds
moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2010, 04:53 AM

Burger King have bigger burgers and the flame grilled taste is fantastic, but to me they are too big (who ever eats a triple whopper) and they fall apart when you are eating them, its impossible to eat without lettuce and tomato falling out.

Macdonalds seem to have this found an amazing formula for plain Hamburgers (freeze dried onions, pickles, mustard and ketchup and cheap un seeded buns) which is just plain delicious and big macs are amazing too (the flavour of the creamy stuff is unexplainable, surely one of the universe's true marvels).

In my mind I think I like Burger King more, but maybe macdonalds is tastier.

What think you (please keep on subject and do not mention other restaurants, this is important stuff).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2010, 05:12 AM

I don't really understand how anybody can like any fast food burger joint with a few exceptions, they all taste like gastric bombs and make me feel like shit after eating them. Really the only good thing about these burgers is the condiments.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2010, 05:24 AM

A Big Mac is less calories but a Whopper tastes more like meat. And while neither is good for you you can get the mayonnaise removed and load a whopper up with raw onions and tomato so in a way you can make it slightly less horrible for your system.

However, I eat McDonalds more often as their cheeseburgers are my cure for hang overs.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2010, 05:30 AM

feeling horrible after eating at Mac or BK is normal, you've been conditioned to think their burgers are delicious and "party". but in the real world...
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2010, 05:57 AM

Umm you know I miss Wimpy's zig-zag fries this was back in 77 after watching Star Wars & then going for a bite at Wimpy I can't remember if we had chicken or burgers but the fries were the best.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 06:28 AM

I don't eat the larger burgers because of all the ingredients falling out when you try eating them. Too much meat (triples) isn't my thing either. I find the Bacon Double Cheeseburger irresistible - I have been known to order four of these with just some water. Saying that, the fries at BK are better than MacDo. I have a feeling that in Europe we don't get the same promotions that people in the US do - even film related stuff.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 07:13 AM

I don't eat at McDonald's anymore. The Quarter Pounder (The Royal for you EU folks) has no flavor at all. If I'm going chain, I prefer the Big Burger at Carl's Jr (AKA Hardee's), or the Double Double at In-N-Out.
45/47

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2010, 07:26 AM

Anything with beef at McDonald's gives me a *bad* stomachache.

Burger King, I can actually eat a beef burger.

This shouldn't be a "vs." though, since both are really last-last-last-no-really-there-isn't-anything-else-within-miles-of-here options.

Exceptions: McD's french fries (only if they're fresh, otherwise they're fine for throwing away) and their hot apple pies.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 07:36 AM

The complimentary Wendy's mention.

This should have been a poll imo.

I've had a tripple whopper.... and i did feel pretty sick after.... but also more like a man

I crave both every now-n-then and i do prefer Burger King in general.

moonmonkey  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I don't eat at McDonald's anymore. The Quarter Pounder (The Royal for you EU folks) has no flavor at all. If I'm going chain, I prefer the Big Burger at Carl's Jr (AKA Hardee's), or the Double Double at In-N-Out.
FYI In the UK (which is in the EU) they are called Quarter Pounders.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2010, 08:06 AM

Havent touched a chain made burger for a long time. Not planning on eating one ever again.

Inform yourself about the kind of beef that is used by all of the chains. Not from a hippy/dippy save the cow point of view, but from a I am going to projectile vomit up if I see any more pink sludge being hosed out of a tank and into a burger mixture point of view.

Seriously people. That shit is evil. When I want a burger, I go local and eat a Bison.

moonmonkey  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2010, 08:11 AM

Burger King and McDonalds are way better than Bison.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Burger King and McDonalds are way better than Bison.
Are you channeling besson3c?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 6, 2010, 08:24 AM

I haven't eaten a regular burger at McDonalds in a very long time, and it's been years since my last Burger King visit. I eat at Whataburger on the order of once every other week though. Theirs is a different style of burger, which neither of the other two chains can match. I will visit McDonalds when they run a McRib special, but that's about it.

I need to point out that while his examples are extreme, Phileas has a good point: fast food chains manage to cut costs by cutting corners. Everything from McDonalds is supplied from the outside, with nothing "local," so not only is their carbon footprint pretty big because of the trucks bringing everything in, but it's all frozen or preserved. BK is somewhat similar. Whataburger isn't as bad, and they use fresh meat (and around here they pass far more health inspections by a larger margin than MD or BK).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Everything from McDonalds is supplied from the outside, with nothing "local," so not only is their carbon footprint pretty big because of the trucks bringing everything in,
Two points bear making on that note:

1.) locally produced may well mean LARGER carbon footprint due to the economies of scale, even taking into account long-distance hauls (which are usually in extremely large quantities for industrial produce).

2.) Whatever carbon footprint is incurred by transport is a complete JOKE relative to the enormous footprint left by the cow itself.

However, one thing I've found with non-industrial meat is that you typically only need about a third of the quantity to get the same satiation, simply because it's just *so much* more salient and intensely-flavored than the industrial bullshit (pun intended). Which of course *enormously* reduces the carbon footprint.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 10:07 AM

I haven't eaten any chain burger in a while. Here in NYC there are a few really good burger places which I'd rather go to than a chain. Granted, they're not on every corner but I'd rather travel a little instead of feeling sick from McDonalds.

Last night a friend and I went to a steakhouse called The Old Homestead Steakhouse and had a 20oz Kobe burger. It was so much food, but we couldn't stop eating. It was amazing. Definitely not a burger I could eat very often (ignoring the price) but still very good.

As for burgers I could eat all the time I really like ShakeShack.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 10:24 AM

Now I'm hungry. =/
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2010, 10:55 AM

I rarely eat fast food anymore.... even if I did, the only place within 100 miles is a lone Burger King... and they charge almost $10 for a combo meal.

However, when I'm in the States, I will typically hit one of the fast food places just to remind myself that I'm not missing anything.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I need to point out that while his examples are extreme,
Not extreme at all Glen. Do a google search on ammonia treated meat sludge and take a look at the results.

I doubt that you, or anybody else who cares about what they eat, will ever eat in a chain restaurant ever again.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
FYI In the UK (which is in the EU) they are called Quarter Pounders.
The UK may be the exception. An image search shows menus boards/ads as far east as Egypt calling it the "Royal"
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 12:00 PM

I don't eat fast food all that much, but I still love some occasional McDonalds. My brain has been programed to love it and I do.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 12:18 PM

McD's, hands down! Nothing says late-night-drunken-sin like a stumble into McD's for a cheeseburger at 3am.

BK sucks!

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2010, 12:42 PM

Last December, I had my first Big Mac. I know, I know. Normally I just get a quarter pounder, but I was at the airport in a hurry and just ordered a number one. I don't eat McDonald's often, and haven't since then, but I think I'll have some this week for fun.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2010, 12:48 PM

The UK may be the exception. An image search shows menus boards/ads as far east as Egypt calling it the "Royal"
Nope, always been called a Quarter Pounder here, too (at least Denmark, Sweden, and—I think—Norway). Never heard of a Royal in a McDonald’s.

I haven’t eaten in a McDonald’s in ages. I’ll very occasionally (≈once or twice a year, perhaps) eat in a Burger King if it’s braindead o’clock in the morning and I’m in desperate of something edible before turning my back on the vibrant nightlife of Copenhagen and going back to bed. But since I’m a vegetarian, I successfully fool myself that I’m not damaging my body quite as badly as those who actually eat the meat there.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Last December, I had my first Big Mac. I know, I know. Normally I just get a quarter pounder, but I was at the airport in a hurry and just ordered a number one. I don't eat McDonald's often, and haven't since then, but I think I'll have some this week for fun.
Never been a huge fan of the Big Mac burger-wise.

Get the Angus Burger with Bacon and Cheddar.

Seriously. It's got like, 70% of the daily recommended intake of everything that could possibly be bad for you. But it's hands-down the best burger McDonald's has ever made.

greg

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2010, 01:18 PM

It's Wendy's or Burger King tonight! (unless the weather is too inclement).
( Last edited by msuper69; Feb 6, 2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: changed 'to' to 'too'. :))

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Never been a huge fan of the Big Mac burger-wise.

Get the Angus Burger with Bacon and Cheddar.

Seriously. It's got like, 70% of the daily recommended intake of everything that could possibly be bad for you. But it's hands-down the best burger McDonald's has ever made.

greg
That does sound good actually. I'll have to give that a try.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
It's Wendy's or Burger King tonight! (unless the weather is too inclement).
Wendy's has been pretty good lately here. Really good and lean beef.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2010, 03:54 PM

burger king makes me and everyone I know sick after eating it. Mcdonalds doesn't, they just make you fat.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2010, 03:58 PM

I think it's gotta be something your body gets used to. I used to have no problems eating any fast food restaurant. Now, because I don't eat fast food more than a few times a year, my body rejects the food. I don't want it, the thought usually repulses me. Every once in a while I crave it, but often when I do it's the thought of what I want the food to be, usually I end up disappointed

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 04:09 PM

BK beat McDs anytime, any burger. The best deal at BK is the Whopper Jr. For $1, you get a mini-whopper that tastes like a whopper.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Are you channeling besson3c?

No, if he were channeling me his post would be kicking ass all over the place.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2010, 05:04 PM

I'm gonna go with my old standby here.

Culvers>Hardees>Burger King>Dog Poop>McD.

I do love their fries though if they're fresh, but the burgers are like eating the bad kind of cow patty.

jonn804
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2010, 06:00 PM

Can't beat the taste of a McD Double Cheeseburger and the Mac is the best of the best.
-------------------
Dual G5 2.0, MBP, 23" ACD and 30" ACD, 1 TB storage, iPods

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
I'm gonna go with my old standby here.

Culvers>Hardees>Burger King>Dog Poop>McD.

I do love their fries though if they're fresh, but the burgers are like eating the bad kind of cow patty.
They just open several Culver's here in Phoenix. I'll have to stop in and have a "Butterburger" BTW, how is the custard?
45/47

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2010, 11:18 PM

Oh yeah, we just got a new Culver's down the street. I've only had their shakes, which are quite good. I prefer Chick-fil-a's, but that place is always a zoo.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2010, 11:50 PM

Just had 10 Nuggets, a McRib, and a nap.

America, **** yeah!

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2010, 01:11 AM

McRib is about all I'd get from McD's. I'm not a big BK fan, maybe their coke slushees (do they still have those?).

I much prefer In-N-Out or one of the local joints.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Not extreme at all Glen. Do a google search on ammonia treated meat sludge and take a look at the results.

I doubt that you, or anybody else who cares about what they eat, will ever eat in a chain restaurant ever again.
That IS very disturbing. Using the chain's claims as a guide, I had not even considered that such "byproducts" were part of the "100% USDA beef." McDonalds disputes that they add ammonia to their meat, but their dispute doesn't say anything about the quality or real content of the meat... Whataburger apparently gets fresh beef relatively locally, which makes me feel better about their food in general.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2010, 09:27 AM

Harveys and A&W are the best if you want a REAL burger.

I do occasionally like McDonalds though.

I like their new Big Mac snack wraps. And the fries for some odd reason can't be beat.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2010, 11:38 AM

Love Harveys too, but they're slowly but surely going under

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 02:51 PM

They say they don't put in ammonia, but in the same response essentially admit their suppliers do.

That being said, I don't see this as any different from all the other disgusting stuff that gets put into institutional grade food. If it kills some creepy crawlies, I'm all for it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2010, 02:58 PM

Can we leave health out of this? If you're so obsessed with your health and becoming 120 years old just don't eat fast food. Now how hard was that?

Now back to taste, BK's patties actually taste like beef. McD's burgers taste like a lot but not like they ever contained meat. BK's fries are better. But when it comes to breakfast McD beats BK hands down. The Sausage Egg McMuffin is the best thing next to real Eggs Benedict. For burgers, if it's gotta be a fast food chain I'd prefer Carl's Jr. over BK though. And of course In-N-Out beats them all. Just one more reason to live on the West Coast.

The best burger in the world though comes from Oscar's in Berkeley. Since the 1950s that corner of Shattuck and Hearst is where you get the real deal. Nothing beats an Oscar's greaseburger.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
They say they don't put in ammonia, but in the same response essentially admit their suppliers do.

That being said, I don't see this as any different from all the other disgusting stuff that gets put into institutional grade food. If it kills some creepy crawlies, I'm all for it.

The thing is, I think it is logical to expect the worst of cost cutting factory farming conditions from McDonalds: force feeding cattle corn in close quarters, pumping them full of anti-biotics to ward off bacteria, disease, and other nasties from being around other cows in close quarters, etc.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2010, 03:00 PM

Oh and for a good laugh, check out this joint.

Heart Attack Grill... Home of the Double Bypass Burger!

Next time I get to AZ I'm definitely checkin the place out.

kohl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2010, 04:19 PM

this is my first post so i should say hi first.

so hi everybody.

as i am vegeterian i think they should both add native veggie support. there's a chance for tripple tomato burger and vegeterian-cheese-burger.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
That's a pretty nasty euphemism for "children" if I've ever heard one.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by kohl View Post
this is my first post so i should say hi first.

so hi everybody.

as i am vegeterian i think they should both add native veggie support. there's a chance for tripple tomato burger and vegeterian-cheese-burger.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2010, 06:21 PM

We have a joint here called 5 Guys Burgers and Fries that is super good. If you have one in your area, I really recommend it. My mom, dad, and I ate there for about $7 total and had PLENTY of food. Plus, all the addons are free!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2010, 07:10 PM

The new "Ha Ha!" comic for 2010?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules