Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mouseptr dances to mp3's?

Mouseptr dances to mp3's?
cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2001, 04:32 PM

See if anyone has found a workaround for this one:

No matter what mp3-player I'm using, the mouse pointer skips frames just enough to make it really annoying. SoundJam causes the worst results, some player (forgotten its name, think it was Simple- or Tiny-Something) causes the least "lag", and iTunes is somewhere in-between. SoundJams supportpages imply this is due to a sloppy Apple sound implementation, however I'm having a hard time believing all you guys out there are having jerky cursors when playing mp3's in the background... What gives?

iMac 400 DV, VM (no way I'll turn that off just to play mp3's...), 192 MB RAM, MacOS 9.0.4.

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2001, 04:47 PM

I dunno the work around but I know my cursor doesn't skip while playing music in iTunes or Soundjam
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

foobars
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2001, 05:01 PM

I have noticed some slight jearkiness when the SJ equalizer is on, but nothing other than that. My reccomendation would be to increase SJs RAM allocation by about 5 megs then increasing the buffer size in the prefs to 256k along with turing on the "Load into RAM" option with about 5 megs. This might help.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2001, 09:56 PM

Have you tried in the SOundJam prefs, turning on "preload songs into ram", this could help a lot, also, can I ask why you wont turn off VM, i have an almost exact some config, expect it's a PBG3/333, and i find 192mb quite sufficient

Patrick
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2001, 04:16 PM

Try using something like SounApp. I have the same problem with SoundJam, and that's why I've stopped using it.

cla  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2001, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Patrick:
Try using something like SounApp. I have the same problem with SoundJam, and that's why I've stopped using it.
How about iTunes? By the way, can't imagine VM has anything to do with this slight jerkyness. It is not as if the data is read continuosly from hard drive in 16 bytes chunks =) - DMA should take care of that for me...

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2001, 09:59 PM

My pointer stopped jerking around after I put a file called SoundJam Extension. It shouldn't have, but it did.

It must be some kind of an extension conflict - have you tried booting only with the Apple extension/control set?

Forum Links
Forum Rules