Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > How do you PROs make those great disk images?

How do you PROs make those great disk images?
AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Sep 10, 2003, 03:34 PM

I was looking at some software from Panic and Iconfactory yesterday, and there disk images are fantastic.

Does anybody here make disk images for software or media distribution?
What are some of your tips/tricks?

Max? Swiz?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2003, 04:03 PM

If you drag a folder on to Disk Copy it will make a disk image of that folder exactly. You can position the icons, put a image within the 'read me' folder and use that for the window background, perfect the size of the window. All these things are preserved when you make a disk image using Disk copy app as described above.

AU_student_iceBook  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2003, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
....All these things are preserved when you make a disk image using Disk copy app as described above.
wow, that is awesome. I didn't know that.

Any other suggestions? Anyone have to distribute CD's in both a windows and mac environment?

honz
Sep 10, 2003, 07:17 PM

I did not know that either!
Q. If I use an image for the background of the folder how do I inlcude it without it showing up as a file?

mac15
Senior User
Sep 10, 2003, 07:37 PM

Max does it well, its some terminal thing

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by honz:
I did not know that either!
Q. If I use an image for the background of the folder how do I inlcude it without it showing up as a file?
setfile -a V filetohide.jpg

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 12:31 AM

Mindvision FileStorm
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Dace
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 01:32 AM

Don't pay for software to do a simple task...just create a background image for your disk, place it within the disk, set it as the background image for your disk, then get TinkerTool (which is free software), use TinkerTool to see hidden files and relaunch the Finder, then place a "." in front of the name of the background image file, your image is now hidden...if you make TinkerTool not show hidden files, you can verify this. Set the disk's window to the size of your image and i suggest you hide the toolbar (not sure about the status bar, it's been a while since i've done this}. And that's it, this would be alot easier if we had something like Windows where you right click the file and set as hidden. Oh, well.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Sep 11, 2003, 05:56 AM

I used to make the DMG using a long set of Terminal commands, but I've used the method Dace described above and it works just as well and is so much easier.

An other tip from my side. When you have a DMG with all the images and sizes of the windows set and you want to resize it to be larger, you might know that there is a resize function in Disc Copy but it's useless because the slider scale is all wrong..
So what I do is that I copy the the whole disk image to the desktop, replace the old files with the new larger ones and then create a new DMG from folder (cmd-I).
Even thought the DMG look messed up when you copy it and browse it, just ignore that because it will look right once you make a new DMG from it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules