Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [fear] platinum theme

[fear] platinum theme
catsank
Sep 16, 2003, 12:47 PM

What pops into your head when looking at this:

Monster size pic url:
http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/...latinum_lg.jpg

By fearful JoE950 - downloadable at Resex.

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 01:15 PM

Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

quandarry
Sep 16, 2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
Martha Royer's Evil Twin
here we go!

solidfox
Sep 16, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by catsank:
The guy should've come here first.

quandarry
Sep 16, 2003, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by solidfox:
The guy should've come here first.
how do you know he doesn't come here and that is the reason he didn't let anyone in on it?

it would have become a hissyfit thread amongst all the regular haterz of every theme ever made cuz it didn't have this or that whatever...

i think swiz learned his lesson on that with the power metal theme he made...and boozo knows better and bbx and i'mdamac and iza and the butt o'sigh and on and on...so why shouldn't this guy...huh?
( Last edited by quandarry; Sep 16, 2003 at 07:19 PM. )

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 04:50 PM

What pops into my head first?

Well, I have a monitor capable of delivering "Millions" of colors to my eyes...yet 'everyone' produces these monochromatic colors...
Why bother? Just press ctrl-command-option-8 if you like such things.
jesse ;-)

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by catsank:
'ugh, another unoriginal grey theme..'

quandarry
Sep 16, 2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
What pops into my head first?

Well, I have a monitor capable of delivering "Millions" of colors to my eyes...yet 'everyone' produces these monochromatic colors...
Why bother? Just press ctrl-command-option-8 if you like such things.
jesse ;-)
i'm sure many themers would luv to do colors, especially darker ones but due to limitations in the os x gui they just don't work...type coloring is the main culprit...

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 05:49 PM

Its ugly. Very ugly. People who post ugly themes will be criticized. Sad but true.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

solidfox
Sep 16, 2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
how do you know he doesn't come here and that is the reason he didn't let anyone in on it?

it would have become a hissyfit thread amongst all the regular haterz of every theme ever made cuz it didn't have this or that whatever...

i think swiz learned his lesson on that with the holey theme he made (forgot the name of it and too lazy to check out what it wuz)...and boozo knows better and bbx and i'mdamac and iza and the butt o'sigh and on and on...so why shouldn't this guy...huh?
Mmm, even so if he had just read some stuff that's written around here he'd known better than to use that super-weird pattern for the progress bar...

uh...right...you shouldn't discourage new themers...or themers at all.
so "known better" is just an indication that it can be improved...
and the rest is a hint on how to improve it...

yes, that's constructive criticism...

I agree though...keeping it a secret and releasing it out of nowhere is well done...the concept is...

Okay...I'll just shut up now...

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 16, 2003, 06:58 PM

i think swiz learned his lesson on that with the holey theme he made (forgot the name of it and too lazy to check out what it wuz)...and boozo knows better and bbx and i'mdamac and iza and the butt o'sigh and on and on...so why shouldn't this guy...huh?
Lesson learned = refrain from posting in progress updates because it reduces the amount of whining and hissy fit arguments around here which I think we all can do without. So, yeah, Im providing a community service. here here!
( Last edited by swiz; Sep 16, 2003 at 07:03 PM. )

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

quandarry
Sep 16, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Here you go again quandarry spouting off nonsensical jibberish about how I learned some lesson about Power Metal because you werent down with it. Just shut your mouth and quit trying to expulge lessons learned from subjects you are incredibly ignorant about.
no

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 16, 2003, 07:04 PM

no
I re-read your previous post which I jumped all over and realized what your were really saying and edited my post to reflect my clear comprehension of your statement.

I apologize quandarry.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 07:33 PM

Lesson learned = refrain from posting in progress updates because it reduces the amount of whining and hissy fit arguments around here which I think we all can do without. So, yeah, Im providing a community service. here here!

Why the heck would all the themers want to help prevent and eliminate discussion and whining and generation of ideas on a discussion board? I admit that the maturity level drops kinda low here sometimes, but I thought the discussion about your theme was not that bad and it might even have helped you make the theme a little better. So what if someone says something that someone else doesn't like and they respond to it. It's not like anyone here is gong for a peace prize in diplomacy.... it's just a computer nerd theming forum. Why not post stuff and ask what people think? There's too much bitching about people bitchy posts and not enough bitching about themes as far as I'm concerned. (count this as one more.... oops!)

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

quandarry
Sep 16, 2003, 07:46 PM

I re-read your previous post which I jumped all over and realized what your were really saying and edited my post to reflect my clear comprehension of your statement.

I apologize quandarry.
well i was assuming you learned your lesson, swiz because of all the bickering that went on in that thread...i imagined it must have been exasperating for you as it was for some of us...

i am not a saint but i only try to keep up the encouragement of the ones who are trying...i know it's hard work...i cannot finish one...so to the ones who do...it encourages me...

maybe you and i got off on the wrong foot somehow...maybe because of my outspokenness...and maybe because i'm a bit jealous...

but as you can see...this theme has already been called ugly...boring...etc...probably by people who haven't even tried it or given it a chance...

it just gets damn depressing...

maybe i still feel the hurt of 'goldendelicious'
my first try...

i dunno...

decursive
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 08:18 PM

i'm entirely confused about the purpose of this thread. apparently, if we call something ugly, we're the evil bastards of the macnn underground. so, it seems to me the only option left is to gloriously and falsely praise the theme, or to tone down are dislike in an even falser "it doesn't suite me."

why should themes get special treatment? let's look at something completely different: computer cases. the toshiba 17 inch laptop:

looking just on these mann forums, there are hundreds of posts about how hideously ugly this computer is. are these people "haters"? should they simply say "well, this pc case is ok, but i wouldn't use it"? no, that's ridiculous. the point of a forum is to share your opinion on something. if the overwhelming opinion is something's ugly, live with it. don't cry and say people must be nice and lie or say nothing at all.
= decursive =

catsank  (op)
Sep 16, 2003, 08:19 PM

Tewksbury - It's not like anyone here
is 'gong' for a peace prize in diplomacy....
it's just a computer nerd theming forum.

quandarry
Sep 16, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by decursive:
i'm entirely confused about the purpose of this thread. apparently, if we call something ugly, we're the evil bastards of the macnn underground. so, it seems to me the only option left is to gloriously and falsely praise the theme, or to tone down are dislike in an even falser "it doesn't suite me."

why should themes get special treatment? let's look at something completely different: computer cases. the toshiba 17 inch laptop:

looking just on these mann forums, there are hundreds of posts about how hideously ugly this computer is. are these people "haters"? should they simply say "well, this pc case is ok, but i wouldn't use it"? no, that's ridiculous. the point of a forum is to share your opinion on something. if the overwhelming opinion is something's ugly, live with it. don't cry and say people must be nice and lie or say nothing at all.
troll [counting to ten and telling myself ]

decursive
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 09:19 PM

troll [counting to ten and telling myself ]
i'm glad you replied to my point by point breakdown of why calling a theme ugly isn't as bad as you make it seem with a smily. it must make you feel pretty clever. well, someone told me a wise saying once:

don't argue with a fool, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
= decursive =

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 10:48 PM

By the way, damnit, I liked Golden Delicious!

And Pez!

And I wouldn't install this theme, but somebody put effort and creativity into making it, and even if it doesn't resonate with me, I appreciate the effort they put into it and the desire that led them to do so.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

quandarry
Sep 17, 2003, 01:58 AM

those preview things never do any theme justice and the preview pics he does over at resex aren't that great either...

i thought i'd plunk this theme in and give it a spin and go back to my regular one [panther] but it is better than the preview looks and am continuing to use it...i did remove the arrow thingies from the scroll thumbs and fixed the toolbar button in the finder windows...

i spoke with the author and he already has plans for improvements...things evolve and that's a good thing...

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 08:30 AM

Yeah, I've noticed that ResEx previews are so heavily artifacted they they tend to make Rembrandts look like Rectal Cavities.

Or something like that...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 08:36 AM

What a bunch of thin skinned ninnies! If you don't want my opinion, don't ask for it. The comment I made was the first thing that popped into my head and I responded as asked.

We all know what opinions are like and everyone has one. And you might think mine stinks.

You know, I've been a graphic designer for a long time and have had plenty of my work trashed by people who don't like it but have I curled up in a ball and called it quits? No. If you love what you are doing nothing can make you stop.

Just wait till Martha Royer makes the jump over to X theme-ing.

I wish the guy who made this theme luck and please don't let what anyone here says deter you from doing what you like.

'Diddy
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 08:42 AM

I liked Pez too.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 17, 2003, 09:45 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen worse themes have a cult following.

While I think it is still a tad bit rough, with a few minor tweaks it should be ok.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2003, 11:38 AM

Just wait till Martha Royer makes the jump over to X theme-ing.
[gasp!] that's happening? [/gasp!]

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 08:25 PM

Well, at least we know Martha can crank out themes and keep her schedule....

(cough, cough)

Sorry ,BBX. Couldn't help myself.

I'll say this though, I'll wait for your quality over her quantity!

wigglywoo
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 09:48 PM

For a first release this would have to be one of the Best I have ever seen. Yeah the theme is an aquired taste. If a variation was made replaceing the flower pattern with a metal style I would use it.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2003, 10:15 PM

Well, at least we know Martha can crank out themes and keep her schedule....

(cough, cough)

Sorry ,BBX. Couldn't help myself.

I'll say this though, I'll wait for your quality over her quantity!
Oh you kids...
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Sep 18, 2003 at 02:10 AM. )

quandarry
Jan 27, 2004, 03:50 AM

man those were the good old days...

Forum Links
Forum Rules