Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Raise your hand if you've nuked your Finder by themeing

View Poll Results: Have you nuked your Finder by Panther themeing?
Poll Options:
Yea 17 votes (41.46%)
Nea 24 votes (58.54%)
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll
Raise your hand if you've nuked your Finder by themeing
BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 09:30 PM

I can't get any theme to install without killing my Finder and having to reinstall Panther.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 10:29 PM

Not even in Panther betas with theme ports I made with themefur!
click one

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 10:43 PM

You can add me to your list

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 10:44 PM

Yep.

Happened one time.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by BurpetheadX:
I can't get any theme to install without killing my Finder and having to reinstall Panther.

Did you try deleteing your Aqua backup from the menu in Themechanger before applying a theme. You MUST do this or it will install Jaguar resources over the Panther ones if you have an old Jaguar Aqua backup. Horrible but true. Themechanger always puts the Aqua stuff back in place before it installs the next theme.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 11:38 PM

Dumb DXB theme nuked my finder, I guess I'll have to wait until it's made for panther.

Jail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 01:09 AM

It happened to me too, restoring aqua didn't help, no matter how many diffent methods I tried. Rather than reinstall, I opted to install Panther on a second partition (The first thing you should always do when you buy a mac is partion it's drive, a 5 gig partition will do), I then replaced Finder.app with the good one on the fresh install, reboot, finder is working. OK, so I started trying all sorts of stuff, and many many dead Fnders later i worked out two things:

1) If I install a theme, Finder dies.
2) The only way to fix it is to replace it with a good Finder.

Then i realized that aqua restore was reverting to SmoothStripes instead of aqua, so I ran the smooth stripes aqua restore package, and deleted ThemeChanger's aqua backup.

And guess what! Finder is now immortal, I can install as many themes as I want, no problems. OK, I'm getting somewere, all I have to do now is find the bug in tc, and fix it. But Finder decided to stay immortal, no matter how hard I tried to kill it.

I don't think it was caused by my SmoothStripes aqua backup, I think it was just that the backup got screwed somehow or other, I've tried everything I can think of, and am starting to think it wasn't even caused by TC in the first place.

So, if Fnder dies for you, try removing ThemeChanger's aqua backup (via the File menu). And post here if it does or doesn't work.
-jail

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 01:26 AM

It can't be the themes if people are installing the same themes and aren't having problems. I don't use the TC aqua-backup option for one and have had no problems. Less problems than I had with Jag themes even.
click one

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2003, 03:55 AM

Raise your hand if you're a dumbass who shouldn't have changed themes before there were the proper tools!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 10:25 AM

When I get my computer the way I like it, I delete my Aqua restore at that point. Then I can always get back to there.... I'd never want to actually go back to Aqua. Or if you do like Aqua, then delete your Aqua restore then. The point is delete your Aqua restore before changing themes when everything is working fine. Themechanger then creates a new Aqua restore that will work. Themechanger is a fantastic program except for it's ability to stick old Jaguar Aqua backup stuff back into Panther. That makes it deadly. Delete your Aqua restore before running it in Panther.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Jail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
When I get my computer the way I like it, I delete my Aqua restore at that point. Then I can always get back to there.... I'd never want to actually go back to Aqua. Or if you do like Aqua, then delete your Aqua restore then. The point is delete your Aqua restore before changing themes when everything is working fine. Themechanger then creates a new Aqua restore that will work. Themechanger is a fantastic program except for it's ability to stick old Jaguar Aqua backup stuff back into Panther. That makes it deadly. Delete your Aqua restore before running it in Panther.
You're advice is great, everyone: follow it. But i did an archive and install, no jaguar back up, an it happened to me. As i said, i have no idea what's stuffing up tc's aqua backup, but I think it might be weirdness in Panther. Whatever it is, removing the backup seems to fix it.
-jail

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by mrbiiggy2:
Raise your hand if you're a dumbass who shouldn't have changed themes before there were the proper tools!
I did, and had no problems. So there!
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules