Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Popcorn and Tiger Problems

Popcorn and Tiger Problems
TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2005, 02:02 PM

I upgraded to Tiger (10.4.1) the other week and noticed that Popcorn would no longer work. I then upgraded Popcorn to 1.0.3, but am still having problems. I can burn disks which are playable on my computer, or any other computer for that matter, but can not be recognized by any set top DVD player. I took a backed up DVD that was created before all the upgrades and simply copied it with the same results. Anybody else experiencing this or have any ideas as to the cause? Is it possible that write speeds can effect performance on regular DVD players? The reason I ask is that I noticed that the burn times are somewhat faster with the new versions and I no longer have control of the write speed from within Popcorn. My toggle choices used to be best and then an incremental increas to the max that he dvd/burner could handle. Not is is just best or max. Ideas?

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2005, 02:24 PM

What DVD-R drive are you using and have you flashed the firmware or is it the original Apple or other factory installed firmware? You should also make sure that you have the latest version of quicktime installed.

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2005, 02:30 PM

P.S. - Yes, the burn speed can affect the play reliability in standalone dvd players, also the brand of blank DVD-R that you use does make a difference. It's a matter of the number of errors created on a burnt disc. Some DVD players have far better error correction and tolerance than others. The easiest route to happiness is a DVD player that is less than two years old, a decent brand of blank DVD, Apple's own, Verbatim or Mitsubishi Chemical and finally burn at the slowest speed your patience will allow!

TAZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2005, 02:39 PM

I think the issue has been resolved. I tried a different brand of DVD, TDK in this instance, and the burn worked properly. The whole thing is incredibly odd as the same combination of dvd and bruner would produce useable disks before the upgrades, yet now the media seems FUBAR. I can burn using the internal drive as it is only 2X with good results, but for the external drive I now need different media to make it work. Go figure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules