Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > VPN server suggestions

VPN server suggestions
Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2009, 05:41 AM

I'm looking for a simple FOSS VPN server to run on a Mac mini at home. I want to be able to connect from any Mac using OS X's built-in VPN client software.

I have an old PPC Mac mini running Tiger hooked up to an AP Extreme base station doing NAT. The IP is dynamic but I have a daemon running on the Mac mini that updates a dynamic DNS service. IOW I have a URL to connect to the Mac mini at all times. So far I only open port 22 for SSH connections to the Mac mini. Ideally the VPN server would run on the Mac mini and only require a single extra port to be opened on the router.

Right now I'm tunneling certain things through ssh to the Mac mini and that works very well. But there are situations where VPN would be more suitable. Any suggestions for a good FOSS VPN server solution?

Cold Warrior
Nov 26, 2009, 01:20 PM

I know you said open source but this little app is inexpensive and intriguing -- and 10.4 PPC-compatible. Your hw/sw server setup may be a limiting factor for something FOSS.
Download iVPN for Mac - GUI for the VPN server in Mac OS X. MacUpdate Mac Servers Software Downloads

Otherwise you might consider OpenVPN. The page says it is OS X-compatible, but doesn't break it out further. I set up an openvpn server in Ubuntu earlier this year and it wasn't too difficult.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2009, 01:29 PM

How mission-critical ? How much are you willing to spend (time, money) ?

For a free, but not 100% reliable solution, I'd take a look at Hamachi and HamachiX.

-t

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2009, 04:57 AM

CW, thanks for the suggestion. iVPN isn't FOSS, but it seems to be very Mac-like and it's not expensive. Since it works with Tiger I wouldn't have to upgrade the Mac mini to Leopard which is nice too.

It looks like iVPN can automatically open ports on the AP Extreme's NAT if you're running Leopard/SL. Since I would be running it on Tiger I guess I'll have to open the ports manually. No big deal though, if I go for PPTP I only need to open a single one (1723).

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2009, 05:00 AM

Turtle, thanks but it looks like HamachiX has been discontinued. I could still get it, but it looks like it's not going to be maintained or supported anymore.

Cold Warrior
Nov 27, 2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
CW, thanks for the suggestion. iVPN isn't FOSS, but it seems to be very Mac-like and it's not expensive. Since it works with Tiger I wouldn't have to upgrade the Mac mini to Leopard which is nice too.

It looks like iVPN can automatically open ports on the AP Extreme's NAT if you're running Leopard/SL. Since I would be running it on Tiger I guess I'll have to open the ports manually. No big deal though, if I go for PPTP I only need to open a single one (1723).
Cool. It has received very good reviews, so I'm interested in your take because I may get the sw at some point too.

Also, ref NAT -- I took the link to mean that the OS X computer's firewall is auto-configured to open the requisite ports, not the router's NAT, and that the router would still need a manual port fwd setup.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Turtle, thanks but it looks like HamachiX has been discontinued. I could still get it, but it looks like it's not going to be maintained or supported anymore.
This is indeed true, and a great pitty. However, it works fine with Tiger, Leopard and even Snow Leopard.

-t

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Also, ref NAT -- I took the link to mean that the OS X computer's firewall is auto-configured to open the requisite ports, not the router's NAT, and that the router would still need a manual port fwd setup.
Good point. It does look like they were only talking about OS X's built-in firewall, not the router's. Strange though since Apple has built a mechanism into AirPort/Bonjour to allow software to open up required ports on the AP Extreme.

Forum Links
Forum Rules