Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Animated GIF problems

Animated GIF problems
duoikari
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2012, 10:26 AM

I'm trying to create a animated gif in photoshop, just a simple one will play on the home page of my site but when I save for web devices in photoshop it makes the GIF look all "bitty" (Can't think of technical term). It's like the colours are too rich and it can't find them all in it's palette no matter what the settings are.

The original files are all jpegs and i have done it correctly on photoshop, any one got any ideas on how to fix it? See image below

andi*pandi
Oct 16, 2012, 12:37 PM

If you want better quality, gif isn't it. You should look into using a jquery image transition on your website. If it's a wordpress install, there are lots of free plugins out there that will do this.

Thorzdad
Oct 16, 2012, 12:39 PM

Gifs feature a reduced color space of 256 colors. So, when you save an image as a gif, colors are going to get re-sampled into that 256. Artifacts, such as the banding of blends, are common.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 16, 2012, 04:15 PM

It's probably getting saved with a web-safe palette, then dithered (the 'bitty' part). Resave with 'perceptual' instead of 'web-safe' if you can. You can try turning off the dithering, or using a lower dither percentage.

Also, you can save as an animated PNG - they tend to use less space than GIF except for very simple images. Which will help keep your filesize down, since you'll be using more colors.

FMcNamara22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2012, 01:03 PM

I've been obsessed with attempting to create "Cinemagraph" quality animated gifs. I had been spending hours of my free time on Photoshop trying to make them but a friend of mine who's a graphic designer in Chicago told me about a new (at least I think it is) website that lets me isolate a specific motion so easily it takes minutes instead of hours and is pretty affordable. I think they still have a free trial too. Check it out: Cinegif.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules