Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Throttlegate!

Throttlegate!
subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2017, 04:07 PM

Anyone care?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 23, 2017, 04:51 PM

I'm finding it amusing. People should just pop the access door and change the battery. But Apple made that difficult - hard enough they didn't want to change the batteries themselves. So they did a software fix, a slower phone is preferable to an unreliable phone. Now the lawyers all want a payday.

Bad decisions all around will keep us entertained. Maybe next time, Apple will make it easier to change a disposable part.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2017, 05:15 PM

I’d prefer not to have to pay someone $40 to replace the battery, but I guess I’m inured to the idea Apple owes me because of it.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 23, 2017, 05:58 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:36 AM. )

OreoCookie
Dec 23, 2017, 08:34 PM

First of all, I have really had problems of intermittent shutdowns with my old iPhone 5: even when the battery was still at 50 %, it would reliably shut down, although I thought it was a software bug at the time.

But boy, talk about mismanaging perception here. I fully agree it is a mischaracterization that this is part and parcel of “planned obsolescence” so that Apple can sell more devices, but it was clear that this was the spin the media would put on it. I think it would have been much better if Apple would pop up dialogs, reminding the user that because of the battery's age, performance is degraded to ensure stable operation of the phone and that they suggest changing the battery. This way, Apple would have been open and transparent. And while some people would still have complained for the same reasons, they would have had an easier story to tell. The worst thing that might have happened to them is that they would have had to offer a $10 or $20 discount on battery replacements.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

andi*pandi
Dec 24, 2017, 02:20 PM

Is this why my 4S is so darned slow these days? lol.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Apple Does Not Deliberately Slow Down Older Devices (also see researchers have already debunked these ridiculous throttling claims), so it's ridiculous to have this newest lawsuit against Apple, and it is ridiculous. Apple should not have to explain themselves with regard to this. People should not be suing Apple for this especially after this research was already done. Apple better run them into the ground.
I’m having trouble buying this across the whole line of devices. My Mini sure as shit feels less snappy on iOS 10 versus iOS 9.

(Also, I read the article, but the link is borked)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Is this why my 4S is so darned slow these days? lol.
If it’s still got the stock battery, I’m surprised the phone is even usable.

Not because of throttling... everyone I know who’s pushed a battery past two years can’t get it to hold a charge, and suffers from random reboots.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 24, 2017, 05:40 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:36 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2017, 05:42 PM

andi*pandi
Dec 24, 2017, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
If it’s still got the stock battery, I’m surprised the phone is even usable.

Not because of throttling... everyone I know who’s pushed a battery past two years can’t get it to hold a charge, and suffers from random reboots.
It does have a replacement battery, and I also rock a super stylish clunky battery case.

P
Jan 3, 2018, 05:51 AM

There is more coming on this topic. Details are sparse, but there is a security bug on Intel CPUs dating back a decade that will force everyone to access kernel memory in a very inefficient way on those CPUs. That will cause massive slowdowns on some tasks. Prepare for class action lawsuits on that topic.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2018, 07:57 PM

Since Apple decided to save face (and customer good will), they reduced the Genius Bar battery replacement cost from $79 down to $29. But only for the iPhone 6 and later. But my fairly old 5s is still a great phone, except that I see it doesn't handle the increased load I put on it (Apple Watch, newer iOS, etc.) as well as I'd like.

Because they try to be awesome in all things, iFixit is offering all their iPhone battery replacement kits for $29 or less. I have a question: how challenging is a do it yourself iPhone 5s battery swap? If it's not going to require more dexterity than changing out my old MBP's drive and AirPort card, I'm up for it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2018, 08:40 PM

Full disclosure: never done it.

The cable connecting the display is kinda delicate and you have to manage some really tiny crap, but other than that the big drag is collecting the specialized tools, which iFixit covers.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 5, 2018, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Since Apple decided to save face (and customer good will), they reduced the Genius Bar battery replacement cost from $79 down to $29. .
Really? Oops. I just paid $60 to have my iPhone 6 battery replaced, my cousin owns a repair shop so I always take it there. Performance is maybe a little better? Still worse than it was on iOS 10.

Forum Links
Forum Rules