Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SL update install on top of Leopard with install DVD

SL update install on top of Leopard with install DVD
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2010, 05:49 AM

A few months ago I helped a friend who had run out of HD space. I bought her a 500 GB Momentus 7200.4 HDD and installed it for her in her old MB that's still running Leopard. As it turns out she can now buy a brand new 13" MBP, but obviously she'll want to keep her fast 500 GB HDD. She approached me about transferring the disk.

My gut feeling was it's no problem. I'll remove the 500 GB drive from her old MB and install it in the new MBP. Obviously her old Leopard system will not boot the new MBP. But I can boot it from the install DVD and update install SL over the old Leopard system. Done. That would IMHO be much easier/faster than a wipe install and migrating back from TM.

I just wanted to make sure the install DVD that comes with new Macs can actually do an update install on top of an old Leopard installation. I know the retail SL DVD can do it, but what about the install DVDs that come with a new Mac? Can anybody confirm?

ChrisF
Senior User
Jan 19, 2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I just wanted to make sure the install DVD that comes with new Macs can actually do an update install on top of an old Leopard installation. I know the retail SL DVD can do it, but what about the install DVDs that come with a new Mac? Can anybody confirm?
It will work fine, I've done this many times.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2010, 10:04 AM

Cool, thanks.

I thought it would, but with somebody else's computer I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules