Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How do I change the iPhone color display profile?

How do I change the iPhone color display profile?
Ham Sandwich
Jan 1, 2018, 06:17 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:37 AM. )

P
Jan 3, 2018, 05:48 AM

You can't. The color profiles are meant to tell the computer what your display can handle. For the iPhone, Apple knows what the display can handle, and has correctly configured it.

What you are doing on the Mac (ref another thread where we talked about this) is to set the wrong profile for the display to make the colors pop. There is no reason for Apple to add support for that.

(That said, on its phones Samsung lets users do what you want by oversaturating the display, but at least they're honest about what that does.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 4, 2018, 01:01 AM

[...deleted...]

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2018, 07:14 PM

Standard color profiles are meticulously developed to get the best color representation from a given panel’s inherent capabilities. Since a Mac could be connected to any arbitrary display, and not all available displays have preset profiles, users have the ability to adjust the way the Mac communicates with the display to get the best representation on that arbitrary display.

On the other hand, if it requires substantial adjustment to a display’s color profile for you to get acceptable colors, either you’re using bad displays (which I doubt), or you could have a visual problem. If you need colors to “pop” to be able to appreciate differences in hue, luminance and chrominance, there are a couple of actually very significant (and potentially permanent) eye problems that could be going on.

In all seriousness, as a health care professional, I advise you to see an eye doctor if you really do need to adjust every display (and your TV too) to really see colors.

On the other hand, if it really is just a personal preference, Apple isn’t going to help you change how your iPhone’s display looks. It’s their creation, and they feel they’ve done the best job possible in producing excellent color reproduction. For me, if colors “pop” too much I have problems with afterimages, and excessive contrast is uncomfortable and visually tiring.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ham Sandwich
Jan 5, 2018, 10:27 AM

[...deleted...]

andi*pandi
Jan 5, 2018, 11:12 AM

Color profiles are meant so that different monitors can be adjusted to look the same, so Macnn's logo will be the same blue and gold when viewed on a billion devices, I've never heard of just wanting to make things pop. You want to have balance so the full gamut of gradiation appears. If you mess with it some sites may look ridiculous.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 5, 2018, 12:35 PM

[...deleted...]

Thorzdad
Jan 6, 2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
When Apple advertised the P3 monitor as being 25% more colors than, whatever they were comparing it to, I found that the demo units of the Pro MacBook (and of iPhone 7s) were just not really any more colorful, so just being a P3 display alone was not enough.
It sounds like you're confusing more colors (wider gamut) with higher saturation.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
As P and I discussed earlier, it is a preference. I like to live life in full, vibrant color.

They already have by providing accessibility options, although I did not find them to my liking
Those are there to help overcome disabilities.

I'm not entirely sure Apple considers preference artificial and oversaturated colours a disability.

They certainly expressly refused to follow that trend when Samsung et al. were using fake colours to make their inferior displays seem more "vivid" and "vibrant".

Forum Links
Forum Rules