Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > BIG PROBLEM WITH 17" Powerbook and Fincal Cut Pro

BIG PROBLEM WITH 17" Powerbook and Fincal Cut Pro
cocoa_coder
Mar 26, 2003, 04:39 PM

Well here is my situation. I have Final Cut Pro Version 1.0 Full and Final Cut Pro Version 3 Upgrade. Version 3 Requires Version 1 to be installed and ran at least once. But Classic mode does not support Final Cut Pro 1. AM I HOSED? How do i get FCP3 Upgrade Installed?

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2003, 04:50 PM

yikes.
can you install it on another computer and simply drag the installed over through target disk mode or ethernet?

if not, i think you may have to buy the full version of FCP 3. From what I can glean from these boards, there is no way to hack the 17" to boot OS 9.

sorry.
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

CBoldman
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2003, 05:04 PM

Very simple. You need to reboot in OS9, not just run in classic. I was once in your situation

danielb0101
Mar 26, 2003, 05:09 PM

The new 17" cannot boot into OS 9. So, I have seen other people with this problem; call Apple right away and they will send you a full FCP 3 CD. Just have all your serial numbers ready.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2003, 05:38 PM

My friend had the same problem, he installed and updated FCP on an older mac which was being replaced, and then copied it over. I didn't realize Apple would provide a full version CD in a situation like this, when I had this issue with Adobe After Effects they didn't do anything.

cocoa_coder  (op)
Mar 26, 2003, 06:13 PM

thanx doods. before i read your replies, I panicked and called apple and they will send me a full FCP 3 CD. I did not know you could simply copy it over. I will do that when I get home as I have it installed and working on an DP 1GHZ Mirrored DRive Doors Mac.
Also while on the phone i found out that apple does not let you install software on laptop and hard drive. Is this crazy or what. I do photo and video editing at home a lot and now that i have this new sexy beast of a laptop I want to do some editing on it as well when I'm out. Apple requires me to have two copies of the software? Is this bullshit or what? They don't enforce it technically, but after investing so much money in apple software and hardware, i hate feeling like a criminal just because i run my software (non-concurrently) on Laptop and Desktop.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 06:17 PM

bah. give that not another thought.

raveng
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2003, 06:32 PM

Technically, all Apple really wants is to make sure that you're not using it on multiple machines at the same time.

So, as long as you're not then don't worry

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 09:06 PM

Back in the day, Adobe used to explicitly state that you could install their apps on a work machine and a home machine. I will have to check to see if that's still true for the current versions.

Never mind, I just found this on their Web site, from InDesign's EULA: "The primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed may also make a second copy for his or her exclusive use on a portable Computer provided the Software on the portable Computer is not being used at the same time the Software on the primary computer is being used." I'd be surprised if Apple was more restrictive than Adobe.

mginsberg
Mar 27, 2003, 10:22 AM

I had exactly the same problem with my PowerBook 12 inch. I didn't have a full install, but rather updates and couldn't boot under OS 9.

Call AppleCare and ask for a multimedia technician. They will have you fax in proof of purchase (I even bought mine on ebay and that worked). Then they will send you a full FCP 3 install disk that doesn't need a previous version installed and you will be a happy camper.

Here is the person at Apple that helped me:

Heather Smith <[email protected]>

Good luck!

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 11:17 AM

Might as well wait for Final Cut Pro 4 before paying for an upgrade. Given the hoopla over NAB and Apple this April, considering waiting the two weeks until NAB and see what Apple has to say.

cocoa_coder  (op)
Mar 27, 2003, 01:42 PM

I think you mistunderstood, I already have FCP 3x upgrade and FCP 1.25.
I will upgrade to FCP when it comes out, but I need to get that free FCP3 full install from apple.
I tried to copy it over to no avail.

Forum Links
Forum Rules