Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Garage Band Realization = AMIGA?

Garage Band Realization = AMIGA?
cocoa_coder
Jan 16, 2004, 04:45 PM

Anyone rememer the days of old when you had amiga modules and the like? MOD/S3M/NST etc? I'm wondering if this Garage Band tool is going to enable a new generation of folks to compose music and distrubute it on the net for free? I remember listening to mods and really liking that sort of music. It is going to be something to see when folks like the guys from the pc demo scene who compose music get a shot at using this. It will be nice to play those tunes on my ipod. Going to buy it today myself.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2004, 07:38 AM

Yes, cool perspective for GarageBand: also - in a view of continuity/compatibility with the past, - even better if those old formats you referred to were "natively" integrated into QuickTime and iTunes (and, thus, GarageBand, of course), so one doesn't need yet another standalone application (� la PlayerPro, with its rather chaotic interface) to "decode" them...
( Last edited by Sven G; Jan 17, 2004 at 07:56 AM. )

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2004, 11:51 AM

I thought you were going to say you thought GarageBand creations sounded like music from Amiga games. Which, from the ones I've heard, I think they do. Or a Casio/Yamaha keyboard with those crappy beats Will be pleased to be proven wrong by hearing a decent GB creation.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2004, 09:39 PM

You know, I've been waiting for a program that was as easy to use, yet as powerful as the tracker I used to use on the Amiga, OctaMED. GarageBand finally seems to be able to do exactly what I want.

I do, however, miss the days of OctaMED. Every few months I manage to fire up my A1200 and crank out a few tracker tunes just for kicks.

masugu
Senior User
Jan 17, 2004, 09:44 PM

Just picked up iLife from Fed Ex today. Loaded it on my 1GHz Ti PB. Plugged my guitar into the back and tried to record. Oy vey!!! Nothing but hiss, noise and raspy sounds. I am not sure if I am doing something horribly wrong. Now I am no John Mayer, but lordy...this is not as advertised! Just plug into your Mac and record??? I think I need to go spend $200 on some pre-amp type device. Any suggestions?

Good thing I want / need the other iLife apps!

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by masugu:
Just picked up iLife from Fed Ex today. Loaded it on my 1GHz Ti PB. Plugged my guitar into the back and tried to record. Oy vey!!! Nothing but hiss, noise and raspy sounds. I am not sure if I am doing something horribly wrong. Now I am no John Mayer, but lordy...this is not as advertised! Just plug into your Mac and record??? I think I need to go spend $200 on some pre-amp type device. Any suggestions?

Good thing I want / need the other iLife apps!
garageband, being software, is no substitute for the proper hardware. you need a preamp.

i recommend the m-audio audio buddy as the cheapest neutral sounding preamp on the market:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&O=&sku=189927

($80 for the lazy )

masugu
Senior User
Jan 17, 2004, 10:03 PM

Hmm... Thanks.

A guy at my local music store recommeded teh mobile-pre...
http://m-audio.com/index.php?do=prod...81bca7ff458be3

This sucker is $179.

So I HAVE to get something like this, eh? Will this be all I need?

Forum Links
Forum Rules