Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard on to 10.4 Tiger with 512mb Ram?

How to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard on to 10.4 Tiger with 512mb Ram?
nakamaco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2010, 03:21 AM

So I bought the new iPhone 4 and hurried home to find out that when I plug in to sync the phone my iMac and iPhone 4 cant communicate. So I then hurried up again and ordered OS X Snow Leopard and then tried to install it to my iMac and find out it will not work. I found out that I need to have at least 512 MB of Ram in order to install. So then once again I grab the quickest computer and order some Ram quick fast and express. Recivced it the next day and tried to installed it and it was the wrong part. They sent me a 240 pin and I needed a 200 pin!!!!!!!

So what am I to do, I just wanted to know if there was any way I could install OS X Snow Leopard on to my iMac
with only 512 MB of Ram?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2010, 04:26 AM

Hi and welcome to the boards.

Don't take me wrong but do yourself a favor and upgrade the iMac memory to 2 GB.
Macsales is a good place to buy from.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2010, 05:09 AM

Whoa!
If you've only got 512MB RAM and you're requiring a 200pin stick of RAM (which sounds like a SODIMM module to me), then it sounds like you're running a Mac that is still PPC based. You'll never, ever be able to run Snow Leopard on that.

On the off chance that I'm wrong, please post the model identifier, found in System Profiler.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2010, 05:25 AM

Apple was cheap and shipped a lot of the early intel iMacs with 2x256 sticks. They did the same thing with the early MacBooks.

I bet he's got an intel, but he certainly should just upgrade the RAM, even though there may be ways around the barrier.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2010, 05:27 AM

Wow, I'd always thought the lowest had been 1GB.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2010, 06:22 AM

Yep, even the original MacBook shipped in May 2006 with 512MB.

Remember, this was 4 and a half years ago.

512 was a realistic - if tight - minimum for 10.4.

nakamaco  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2010, 07:45 PM

ok ok ok, i get it. I got

So I went down to Staples, because I didnt feel like driving to Fry's. I Bought 2GB of Ram and installed it, installed the Snow Leopard and installed all the remaining software I needed to get my iPhone 4 synced. Man the things these Big Companies do
!!!!!!!!!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2010, 01:11 PM

Just FYI, this page Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Technical specifications shows that you need at least 1GB of RAM installed, and I believe the Mac OS X box even states the requirements.

Glad to see you have it worked out though.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules